Laurel Mountain to Reopen

Ride Delaware ?

between the time difference and the possibility of being close to resorts such as flying into SLC, this is an accurate statement.  my first 2 ski trips with my family were to vermont.  after that we figured out that with the time it takes to drive to vermont, we could have taken a flight out west.

Truth Vermont is easier to bring SFRB but just as expensive or more for lodging and lift tickets.

Vermont has tight trees and cheese weirdos though, additionally unless you ball out you can't just decide to go to say UT on thursday night. VT is all about storm chasing and sleeping in your car.

I wanna ski Stowe with you and Matt edge sometime. Maybe even Jeff if he can handle the tight trees. And toast he loves the woods.

• Like 1

But road trips can be a lot of fun. And why does it cost so much more to fly out of ABE then Philadelphia?

First of all ABE has less airlines than larger airports so less competition. The planes that fly out of smaller airports are smaller and smaller planes have a higher per seat operating cost as landing fees as pilots are spread out over less passengers. Another reason is that low cost airlines typically don't fly out of regional airports as much as major hubs.

I've had some fun road trips but as I get older the thought of driving several hours after a final ski day just makes me tired. I drive less and less as I get older. My car is 15 months old and I have 9,000 miles on it.

GSS, you're very fortunate to be in a financial position to fly out west. Not everyone is. I know that the financials are not entirely comparable, especially on short notice. Lots of lift ticket deals can still be found in the northeast.

That being said, I would hit up Laurel and 7 Springs because I like new areas. I like to try new places regardless of terrain and snowfall. That's a personal preference it would be hard to argue against.

However, if you're basing it just on snow and the mountain, it's probably the smart call to pass it up...

I typically put very few miles on my car during the summer. And I'm not so sure there is any such thing as low cost airlines. Seems lower cost ones want to nail you with fees for carry ons.

What about southwest, two free checked bags per person. Sometimes small airports have better deals, Atomic Jeff recently saw flights to Jackson hole out of ABE for like $360 and sometimes United is cheaper than southwest but generally the lowest fares are on Southwest, Spirit and Frontier airlines.

GSS, you're very fortunate to be in a financial position to fly out west. Not everyone is. I know that the financials are not entirely comparable, especially on short notice. Lots of lift ticket deals can still be found in the northeast.

That being said, I would hit up Laurel and 7 Springs because I like new areas. I like to try new places regardless of terrain and snowfall. That's a personal preference it would be hard to argue against.

However, if you're basing it just on snow and the mountain, it's probably the smart call to pass it up...

I've just skied Vermont and New York a ton in my teens and 20s and really enjoy the Rockies. If Vermont was three hours away I'd go there more and as I said earlier I'd be down for a PASR trip to show to show people around. Has a fun PASR trip to Stowe in 2009 with Dime, Melissa and Johnny Style!!

In 2007 me and atomic Jeff did opening weekend at Mount Snow and stayed in Bennington in the largest suite I've ever stayed in. 2008 was killington with jeff and phillycore where phillycore was eaten by the pullout sofa. 2009'opening at killington with XNick and -Dan and Jeff was pretty fun but then the next year with the stairway to heaven I only got like four runs in due to crowds on rike and haven't been back early since. If there's no skiing in thanksgiving weekend and Vermont or New York areas have a decent amount of runs open I'd be down for a trip.

Travelling out west into a big financial burden cause I really don't spend much money when it's not ski season.

To me it's less effort to drive an hour to an airport and take a 4 hour flight than to drive 7 hours to Stowe.

I would leave home 4 hours before a flight departed given TSA delays. Then arriving at the other end I would need to spend time colkectong baggage, renting a car and skis (travelling with skis Jacks up the price and hassle and I don't have great powder skis) and a few hours driving to where I ski and stay.

So at best that is 12 hours from home to hotel. I can do many places in VT in less than half that time and save close to $1000 between flights and car and ski rentals.

Sure I will fly to ski at times, but I can ski 2 days in VT on a weekend without missing a day of work or spending on anything but lifts, gas, tolls, food and hotels. Especially easy if I go to and from where I work in North Jersey.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

So at best that is 12 hours from home to hotel. I can do many places in VT in less than half that time and save close to $1000 between flights and car and ski rentals.

You are doing it wrong.  On one of our trips to Utah, PC made it out in time to take advantage of the free lift ticket with same day flight.  Brighton i believe.  He had his skis and picked up a car.  

• Like 3

Should probably do that this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that deal ended 2-3 years ago.  i looked around last year, one of the flights i booked, rebooked, and rebooked again had me out stupidly early in the day.  so it was either visit a Morman museum, or go skiing.  I'm not that into culture.  

Maybe Alta had some type of half day pass or something.  i forget now.  

The thought of flying out west with my girls is frightening. We will probably do VT, NH & ME before I attempt heading to CO with them.

Why? My niece and nephew are 5 and 2 and they've both been to Mexico a few times and California. Plus sitting next to little kids on planes is awesome cause you have so much more space.