TR - 1/14/18: Cold PA Pow, Crowds

guitar73

Epic sunny day with PA's finest gun powder skiing. Pulled into the lot and it was packed....I forgot about MLK weekend. Even still, trails weren't too crowded and lift lines were non-existent. Seems like most of the ppl were hanging around the lodge area.

After last week's warm spell and r**n, today's offering was a pleasant surprise. Upper mtn was firm cord with a few bare patches here and there. Loads of frozen ice flows show just how much melt they had up here.

Upper and lower fast track were open, as was the long haul lift. We hit that up a couple of times and then headed over to the north face. Mtn ops was nuking all the trails over there. Silky soft turns were found in abundance on each trail. Smoke probably had the best snow on it bc ppl were hitting up other offerings.

In summary, epic conditions with sunshine....a rarity for PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 3:28 PM, saltyant said:

I think White Lightning is the only black diamond in NEPA that I haven't done now, so I also need to get back there sometime.

With the only headwall that arguably deserves a double black in NEPA - unless one awards diamonds for iciness and the hazards created by bad skiers and riders.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

With the only headwall that arguably deserves a double black in NEPA - unless one awards diamonds for iciness and the hazards created by bad skiers and riders.
Mountains designate their trail rankings based on the other runs at that particular mountain (not the region).

Some people put way too much stock in the whole black diamond, blue square, green circle stuff. I guess it's a newb thing. IDK.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Mountains designate their trail rankings based on the other runs at that particular mountain (not the region).

Some people put way too much stock in the whole black diamond, blue square, green circle stuff. I guess it's a newb thing. IDK.

I underastand, and feel that makes sense for green, blue, black. But I feel when a resort goes the extra mile to call something double black it should objectively present some degree of challenge or else it is just marketing fluff.

Even White Lightning would be a single black at many places, but that wall is the most challenging named terrain in NEPA.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

5 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

At Jackson hole anything double diamond is serious..single blacks range from not bad to serious.