Blue Mountain Death

toast21602

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yes, I always take my skis off when I slide down the mountain if possible.

I will tell you this it's a bad idea to take your skis off on a steep ski slope..one misstep and you will go sliding..it's much safer to navigate steeps on skis than in plastic ski boots.  When you and Matt Edge are in Verbier next winter I really hope you keep your skis on when going downhill...you know what they say,"ski good or eat wood"

IMG_2368.JPG

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, guitar73 said:

they have released more info on the incident

53 year old man from philadelphia. apparently he had fallen and a skier ran into him. it was ruled an accident.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/poconos-coal/man-dies-of-blunt-force-trauma-in-skiing-accident/689971701

Very sad. This is why I don't like skiing when it's crowded, because I am paranoid about colliding with someone.

6 minutes ago, guitar73 said:

53 year old man from philadelphia. apparently he had fallen and a skier ran into him. it was ruled an accident.

That is especially tragic given how absolutely deserted it was Sunday night once the Eagles game started. The odds of a collision had to have been incredibly slim; there really was almost nobody on the mountain.  I wonder if lighting was a factor. I also wonder how the person who accidentally hit him is doing. If it were me I'd be thinking of taking a one-way hiking trip.

11 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

That is especially tragic given how absolutely deserted it was Sunday night once the Eagles game started. The odds of a collision had to have been incredibly slim; there really was almost nobody on the mountain.  I wonder if lighting was a factor. I also wonder how the person who accidentally hit him is doing. If it were me I'd be thinking of taking a one-way hiking trip.

Is a one way hiking trip suicide?

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

Salty, you can side slip down on your skis if you don't feel comfortable on a steep area. 

I've never encountered a steep that I found too difficult except for White Lightning with giant moguls. Next time I will tackle that steep head on. If there are no moguls.

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty it sounds like you ignored the warning signs at the top of white lightning.  

Naw meng. The sign says "experts only". But for Cliffhanger, which I ski like a boss, that sign says "extremely difficult: experts only". So I followed the signs correctly.

11 hours ago, saltyant said:

Very sad. This is why I don't like skiing when it's crowded, because I am paranoid about colliding with someone.

This is why they should only groom greens and leave the rest of the blues & black to bump up!

Bumps will arrest an out of control slider after hitting one or two, groomed slopes on the other hand...

Edited by indiggio

10 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Brush up on your self arrest skills..

Don't go down slopes you don't feel comfortable on.   Hiking back up around here is always an option.

Don't let your ego get you into trouble!

Edited by indiggio
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eaf said:

This is just so sick. The OTHER guy now needs support to cope?? Like a shrink?

um...yeah. just think how that would make you feel...unless you don't.

anyhow, I suspect this person will be sued for wrongful death or other such civil lawsuit.

22 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've never done a tombstone for a skier..now for motorcyclists we've done several...imagine skiing amoung cars and tractor trailers. 

I ride and ski as though no one sees me. The news said the person that died was laying on the slope when he was hit.

• Like 2