Skison 18/19

moe ghoul

2 minutes ago, Barb said:

I  know, I have an Ikon Pass this year.  Next year I will have more flexibility since husband retiring and I am actively working on getting last kid out of the house.  Planning on spending more time in CB next winter for sure.  One of the regulars at the dog park this morning said he went to Jackson for the weekend.  Said the drive was 7 hours, he must have been hauling ass because I feel like it's closer to 8.5 hours.

7 sounds like some hauling ass and the last 190 miles or so is mainly two lane roads...if I lived in the Denver area I’d probably fly to Jackson and also aspen. 

fly to Aspen?  It's only a 3.5 hour drive.  By the time you go through airport security and wait at the gate it's the same amount of time.  The only time I drove to Jackson was on the motorcycle.  Stopped at Rock Springs, Wyoming first night (6 hours) then to Jackson next day.  But takes longer on the motorcycle because you take more breaks to stretch.

Finalizing a CO trip for early April.  Flying out after work April 3rd and back home late April 6th.  I booked the flight via Southwest a month or so ago for a whopping $ 117.  I figured if the trip didn't work out, Southwest is good about flight changes/cancellations.  Planning on hitting Loveland and A-Basin.  I should be able to get 3 full days in.  Normally I do a week, but this is my first trip out west since my daughter was born, so it's not really fair to the wife to leave them alone that long.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Finalizing a CO trip for early April.  Flying out after work April 3rd and back home late April 6th.  I booked the flight via Southwest a month or so ago for a whopping $ 117.  I figured if the trip didn't work out, Southwest is good about flight changes/cancellations.  Planning on hitting Loveland and A-Basin.  I should be able to get 3 full days in.  Normally I do a week, but this is my first trip out west since my daughter was born, so it's not really fair to the wife to leave them alone that long.

Where are you flying out of and are there connections?   That’s less than half of what I paid for my southwest flights Newark to Denver 4-15-4-22..I have hotel, rental car and airfare paid for..just need lift tickets, food, and cash for safety supplies. Final night at Denver airport as well..I might use points and stay somewhere really nice.  

Getting to go out west alone with a wife and young kid is a feat.  Buy the wife souvenirs or something nice in Colorado.  Don’t cheap out and get her stickers.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Where are you flying out of and are there connections?   That’s less than half of what I paid for my southwest flights Newark to Denver 4-15-4-22..I have hotel, rental car and airfare paid for..just need lift tickets, food, and cash for safety supplies. Final night at Denver airport as well..I might use points and stay somewhere really nice.  

Getting to go out west alone with a wife and young kid is a feat.  Buy the wife souvenirs or something nice in Colorado.  Don’t cheap out and get her stickers.  

I'm flying out of PHL, direct flights.  I just got lucky and happened to be playing with the flight fare calendar on Southwest's site and saw that deal, I think there were two left at that price.  I checked again recently and they were much higher.  My friend lives in Steamboat and is going to meet me in Silverthorne.  In the past, I've just gone to Steamboat since he usually scores me free tickets and it's a free place to stay, but Steamboat is a bit of a drive from Denver for such a short trip.

And yeah, I'm lucky to get out on the weekends in PA, let alone a trip out west.  I'll bring her back something good (not drugs :) )

Awesome.  I booked a hotel in Silverthorne for my trip, rental car I booked a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty much set.  Lift tickets will wait until it gets closer, but I think it'll be A-Basin and Loveland (probably 2 days at Loveland).  Since Southwest has a generous baggage policy, I may toss the fly rod in if I feel like fishing for a few hours (even though I know nothing about fishing in CO).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Awesome.  I booked a hotel in Silverthorne for my trip, rental car I booked a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty much set.  Lift tickets will wait until it gets closer, but I think it'll be A-Basin and Loveland (probably 2 days at Loveland).  Since Southwest has a generous baggage policy, I may toss the fly rod in if I feel like fishing for a few hours (even though I know nothing about fishing in CO).

What hotel? I usually stay at the silver inn. How much does the fly rod weigh?  ABasin and Loveland are the main places I’m hitting when I go to Colorado next month.  I usually hit copper as well and have skied at steamboat and beaver creek on other skifaris and aspen and crested butte years ago so people who say I only ski JH and blue can suck it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Staying at the Quality Inn & Suites Summit County.  The price was reasonable (around $ 100 per night) and includes a breakfast buffet.  My fly fishing gear probably only weighs 3 lbs or so total, and the fly rod tube fits inside my regular luggage.  I've spent most of my CO trips at Steamboat and a few days at Winter Park, so I'm excited to hit some different places. 

• Like 3

@PSUfly Winter park is having a special that you can ski 3 days in April for $47 per day.  Tickets must be purchased by 3/18.  I70 closed again this morning because of more avalanche debris reaching the highway.  Most of the mountains got at least a foot in the last 24 hours. Abasin may not be opening today due to extreme avalanche concerns over the pass.

Edited by Barb
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Barb said:

@PSUfly Winter park is having a special that you can ski 3 days in April for $47 per day.  Tickets must be purchased by 3/18.  I70 closed again this morning because of more avalanche debris reaching the highway.  Most of the mountains got at least a foot in the last 24 hours. Abasin may not be opening today due to extreme avalanche concerns over the pass.

Thanks Barb, I did see that, Triple Play pass for $ 139.  I'm keeping my options open, I made sure to book a hotel with free cancellation in case plans change.  I'm still leaning toward A-Basin and Loveland just because I haven't been there.

I skied there yesterday, then dropped off my skis to be waxed so I don’t even have them right now. To be honest, I am getting bored with Eldora. I love that it’s close and I don’t have to kill a whole day with travel, but I need to get to some bigger mountains soon. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barb said:

I skied there yesterday, then dropped off my skis to be waxed so I don’t even have them right now. To be honest, I am getting bored with Eldora. I love that it’s close and I don’t have to kill a whole day with travel, but I need to get to some bigger mountains soon. 

Doesn’t eldora have any steeps or trees? Any more CB trips this season?

Dang glad I got there when i did. Those avalanche signs all over aren't joking around. I've been playing the song Avalanche by Bring Me The Horizon a lot, I played it while skiing down the continental divide at Loveland while actual avalanche bombs were going off.

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Doesn’t eldora have any steeps or trees? Any more CB trips this season?

I don’t like trees, not confident enough to do them. The back side has some fun stuff, but the lifts back there are sooooo slow. I blocked out CB for myself 3/18-22. 

• Like 2