Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I got the Corona bucks right away and not only don’t I need that money I don’t feel like I deserve it but I sort of feel like it’s payment for putting up with some disruptions.    

How much has your life been disrupted? Business might be down now but the tombstone business will be booming with the extra deaths.

If you feel like you don't deserve it, you're right. Donate it to a local food bank or some other charity that helps people who do need it.

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My office manager was saying the governor is gonna extend the lockdown in Lehigh and Northampton county until May 25.  That would take it to about ten weeks total.  In Wuhan China their lockdown last for 11 weeks. 

But people in China actually listened, or were forced to listen. People here are ignorant. 

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

But people in China actually listened, or were forced to listen. People here are ignorant. 

Not to be too tinfoiley, but people in China were forced to listen. While forcing people to quarantine here might seem like a good idea it's the kind of thing that you probably shouldn't give the government the power to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, trackbiker said:

How much has your life been disrupted? Business might be down now but the tombstone business will be booming with the extra deaths.

If you feel like you don't deserve it, you're right. Donate it to a local food bank or some other charity that helps people who do need it.

We’re down like 6% vs last year so far businesswise but we had our best February ever. Im fortunate that only 15% of my business is walk-ins..most of our business is through about 50-60 funeral homes in eastern PA and NJ. After the dust settles I feel like orders will be higher but average order $$$$ might be down a bit due to lower consumer confidence.  

My life has been disrupted becaue no colorado trip, no bars, can’t meet with customers and fear of catching corona..but not like I’m the only one...usually if my life is disrupted it’s due to my own fuck up and in this situation I did nothing wrong so I take some solace in that.  

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Sure are this is America land of the free...people on Facebook we’re freaking out over having to wear a mask in a grocery store.  I post that if having to wear a mask means I can get all the food I want I’ll deal.  

22 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

We’re down like 6% vs last year so far businesswise but we had our best February ever. Im fortunate that only 15% of my business is walk-ins..most of our business is through about 50-60 funeral homes in eastern PA and NJ. After the dust settles I feel like orders will be higher but average order $$$$ might be down a bit due to lower consumer confidence. 

My life has been disrupted becaue no colorado trip, no bars, can’t meet with customers and fear of catching corona..but not like I’m the only one...usually if my life is disrupted it’s due to my own fuck up and in this situation I did nothing wrong so I take some solace in that.  

6% is nothing compared to businesses that are shut down. Your other disruptions are first world problems. You have it pretty darn good compared to most people. I don't think anyone is shedding a tear over your "disruptions". You're always referring to the "poors". It's a shame you can't find the decency to help people who are in much worse positions through no fault of their own.

19 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

6% is nothing compared to businesses that are shut down. Your other disruptions are first world problems. You have it pretty darn good compared to most people. I don't think anyone is shedding a tear over your "disruptions". You're always referring to the "poors". It's a shame you can't find the decency to help people who are in much worse positions through no fault of their own.

We’re doing ok but that number that we are down will increase until the lockdown is over.  The sandblast facility we work with in Vermont is reopening now which should help our supply chain. The reason my dad bought a tombstone company 30 years ago was that it’s recession proof....he almost bought a pierogie company in berks county..before this he had a few other businesses.  Ok back to smoking another bowl...

I do give to charity I’ve talked about it before..I give to my friends Girl Scout troop, I’ve given to Turning point, battered women’s shelter, I tip like a mofo...gave $20 the other day to local country music singer doing online concert...a lot of poor people are just low intelligence and have a bunch of kids they can’t afford so glad I’m not one of them.  

My problems aren’t even first world problems they’re above that..like having to toss a Taco Bell taco because there was sour cream on it...

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

will start weighing the ultra slim potential of dying from covid vs the very real potential of being destitute.

To date, jersey has 121,190 positives. Among this population, 7,538 have died. That’s a 6% mortality rate. Now because of insufficient testing we don’t know what the real numbers though. (And yes the denominator is total state population but come on) Ultra slim potential ? Pass me what your smoking.
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

To date, jersey has 121,190 positives. Among this population, 7,538 have died. That’s a 6% mortality rate. Now because of insufficient testing we don’t know what the real numbers though. (And yes the denominator is total state population but come on) Ultra slim potential ? Pass me what your smoking.

you don't really know how many positives there are though, so the mortality rate you're giving is the ceiling. for all anyone knows, most of the population could have already had it. without testing everyone for antibodies, you'll never know the true mortality rate. 

then take into account the mortality rate for different vectors like age or preexisting conditions. I understand that young, healthy people have died, but the mortality rate in in someone like that, vs a senior in a facility with a hundred of their peers is very different. 

Finally, the US does not revolve around NJ. Nationally, the mortality rate is 1.2% if I'm correct - and that's for all demographics. If you narrow it down by geographic location, whether or not someone has a concept of basic prevention, demographic and being asymptomatic entirely, and I am willing to bet that death (not contracting the disease) becomes ultra slim potential for a very large percentage of the population.

Edited by Benm

you don't really know how many positives there are though, so the mortality rate you're giving is the ceiling. for all anyone knows, most of the population could have already had it. without testing everyone for antibodies, you'll never know the true mortality rate. 
then take into account the mortality rate for different vectors like age or preexisting conditions. I understand that young, healthy people have died, but the mortality rate in in someone like that, vs a senior in a facility with a hundred of their peers is very different. 
Finally, the US does not revolve around NJ. Nationally, the mortality rate is 1.2% if I'm correct - and that's for all demographics. If you narrow it down by geographic location, whether or not someone has a concept of basic prevention, demographic and being asymptomatic entirely, and I am willing to bet that death (not contracting the disease) becomes ultra slim potential for a very large percentage of the population.

Thank you Captain Obvious. I have been hawking the John Hopkins site, I encourage everyone to take a look. You can drill down on infection rate per capita. Two things you can take away. One- there are large swaths of the country that have very low rates and can and should be opened up economically with some common sense restrictions in place. Two- there are areas that in no way no how should be opened up.

I get no sense from you that you are ack
Acknowledging that.

Over 7k dead in jersey alone. Ultra slim my ass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tarponhead said:

wouldn't edibles be more appropriate than smoking, given the current situation? 🤔

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Benm said:

Nationally there are 1.1 million cases and 65,000 deaths.  I don’t know where you got that 1.2% figure but yes the death rate is below 6% because a lot of the people who were asymtimatic or only a little sick weren’t tested....for those under age 70 the death rate is also pretty low.  It’s a big divide between people who are extra cautious and those who wanna get the economy and life back to normal.  I’m sort of in the middle. 

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nationally there are 1.1 million cases and 65,000 deaths.  I don’t know where you got that 1.2% figure but yes the death rate is below 6%

Something on Google and some math. I'm very sorry if it was wrong. It's basically 6pct with those numbers. 

Still doesn't change my original position. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

Stay safe bro

Thanks, you too. Not trying to get into a pissing match. Whatever I'm saying, it's just my opinion. Doesn't mean it's right at all. Someone in my household may or may not work in the same place that C1er said was teeming with outsiders at the onset. I may or may not have been tested (negative). We are definitely on edge here and not taking it lightly. At some point though, to me, something's gotta give. 

• Like 2