Curzi’s Cabin

C1erArt

54 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice little article that can’t be read.  Strike two C1er lol

Sigh, for the more computer disadvantaged. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4372f09hrfqqjku/Blue Mountain Resort renames ski run after late P’burg resident and avid skier D. Scott Curzi.pdf?dl=0

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

i have been having quite a productive PASR morning at work.  Curzi's is/was a pretty neat place actually.  I dont find it neat enough that they have to go renaming a trail after it though.  

https://gis.carboncounty.com/prcs/8-32-A10.pdf

If you leave the lower parking lot, and start to head up BM drive, the first driveway you come to would be the access to the property.  I would say you cant see the cabin from the road.  i think it was like 10 acres, and it really did sit in the middle of a huge amount of land BMR Resorts owned.  So, yeah, If Blue Mt wants to use across the street for tubing eventually, they got off pretty easy with just having to name a run after the guy in order for them to sell it to Blue.  I cant find what the property actually sold for, records show it was transfered to Blue for $1.  nobody is that nice that they would trade some property for a named ski run.  

They own an impressive amount across the street.  At least 230 acres.  From the entrance of the parking lot across the street, the rear property line is about 3,800' back.  It appears they own the land they use for the Carbon County Fair, and this is propably the LZ (off Little Gap Rd) when they cant use the lot across the street.  

For those in the discussion as to how much land BMR owns on the other side of Freeballing, its roughly 2,900'.  And for those wondering how much expansion that may be compared to what is currently "Blue Mountain", Blue is basically 4,419' wide, trail wise.  like from the outermost point of Burma, to Para/Freeballing intersection.

Also, the new lift appears to span a distance of 4,257'.  The OG6 is 4,141.  Quad is 4,414.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i have been having quite a productive PASR morning at work.  Curzi's is/was a pretty neat place actually.  I dont find it neat enough that they have to go renaming a trail after it though.  

https://gis.carboncounty.com/prcs/8-32-A10.pdf

If you leave the lower parking lot, and start to head up BM drive, the first driveway you come to would be the access to the property.  I would say you cant see the cabin from the road.  i think it was like 10 acres, and it really did sit in the middle of a huge amount of land BMR Resorts owned.  So, yeah, If Blue Mt wants to use across the street for tubing eventually, they got off pretty easy with just having to name a run after the guy in order for them to sell it to Blue.  I cant find what the property actually sold for, records show it was transfered to Blue for $1.  nobody is that nice that they would trade some property for a named ski run.  

They own an impressive amount across the street.  At least 230 acres.  From the entrance of the parking lot across the street, the rear property line is about 3,800' back.  It appears they own the land they use for the Carbon County Fair, and this is propably the LZ (off Little Gap Rd) when they cant use the lot across the street.  

For those in the discussion as to how much land BMR owns on the other side of Freeballing, its roughly 2,900'.  And for those wondering how much expansion that may be compared to what is currently "Blue Mountain", Blue is basically 4,419' wide, trail wise.  like from the outermost point of Burma, to Para/Freeballing intersection.

Also, the new lift appears to span a distance of 4,257'.  The OG6 is 4,141.  Quad is 4,414.  

This reminds me of the maps that @Benm and I put together of land ownership. I can't find them at the moment... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Got it. Thx. You can't see it from the road can you?

I don't think so. I stumbled into their back yard on a return skin trip from the gasoline a few years back but I think it sits back a bit from the road. Honestly I never really looked, but after driving by there so many times over my life I feel like I would have noticed it by now if you could. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

This reminds me of the maps that @Benm and I put together of land ownership. I can't find them at the moment... 

it should look something like this, there might me more, but this is i guess what would be the most usable real estate, if that makes sense.  

image.thumb.png.e055650c37b8b246512f92937d5f3102.png

Edit - there is one tiny parcel on BM Drive owned by PPL, across the street from Burma.  

Edited by JFskiDan

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That looks more like a house than a cabin.  

the original build date on the house is like 1907.  It is unlikely it looked like that when it was built.  it has probably morphed into more of a house than a cabin over the years of renovations, additions, etc.  Also, it appears as though there was someone living there from i think 2014 up towards the time of the sale.  

be neat to see it not torn down, and maybe made into a scrapple shack for the new tuning area.  Being from 1907 (at least parts) i sure would like to take a peak inside.  

• Like 2