12/31/23…not very good

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I’m back from another morning at Blue mountain the true mountain.  I made near record time to Blue about 32 minutes door to door and arrived at the lower lot before 720am. It was overcast with a temperature of 37 degrees.  In the house were Atomic Jeff, JFDan, BenM, Mute, Ryan, Indiggio, Gary, GahSkier George, Ben Edge, Dirtwolf, Mixilplix, TP4 and many more.  

Again there were issues with the super safari six pack first thing…first run on easy out to vista to midway to lower main was ok until lower main which was a mine field of uneven grooming and fuckery.  Up the quad and the run in to Coming soon was thick sugar..not that pleasent.  Coming soon was smooth semi edgeable washboard..normally it wouldn’t be that good but compared to other stuff it was decent.  

Lower Paradise was the most challenging skiing as there’s a lot of bare areas and in between the bare areas is all rolly polly.  Skied several laps on coming soon then gave midway to Main Street another go and it sucked.  Then I skied Burma for the first time in a few weeks and while busy, coverage wasn’t bad until the end and surface was deep sugar.  

Crowds today were semi light..security guy said 40 people parked in the paid parking yesterday and now the area in front of the valley lodge is one way and alot aren’t observing that and driving over the cones.  Also talk on the walkie talkie of people bringing their own sleds out onto the ski slopes.  Seems like a good way to enjoy the place for free.  

The parking lot was the chilliest 40 degrees ever with a clouds, a breeze and damn air.  I almost needed my gloves..had two beers and peaced out..I’ll be back tomorrow, I don’t really wanna ski but have housekeeping at 8am and don’t wanna go to work.  

it will be interesting to see if they’re able to blow some snow this week.  I expect the same terrain to be open next weekend but if snowmaking conditions are really good, maybe they can reopen paradise and lazy mile.  

JADIP

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So F’n fed up with Groundhog Day skiing!!

Deep sugar piles everywhere where making things challenging for everyone, especially beginners as we watched many of them face-planting all over Coming Soon.

Right side of Midway had a short little bump run for some fun, but it wasn’t really worth having to run  the beginner gauntlet on Vista and the choke at the bottom of Main.  So many close calls…

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Deep sugar piles everywhere where making things challenging for everyone, especially beginners as we watched many of them face-planting all over Coming Soon.

Right side of Midway had a short little bump run for some fun, but it wasn’t really worth having to run  the beginner gauntlet on Vista and the choke at the bottom of Main.  So many close calls…

Was thinking about running up but think I’m going to pass. Happy new year and stay safe everyone. Hopefully the worst of the weather is behind us. 

• Like 1

Just got back from a short afternoon session at Blue.  I was suprised how well they are making through.  Big sugar humps on the Nile Mile and Main Street, leg burning but fun.  The park is holding up well and I think they got this.

Rumor from talking to some employees is they are all scheduled through the upcoming mid week and I assume school groups are starting.  Looks like they can make it through by the skinnof their teeth with the guns firing up Monday night and onward most nights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ll be back tomorrow, I don’t really wanna ski but have housekeeping at 8am and don’t wanna go to work.  

Sounds like a difficult decision. You can always skip skiing, work and housekeeping and just SUPO in your car for 90 minutes.

Edited by saltyant

58 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It’s not the same out there without @Johnny Law he’d love the spiciness and @RidgeRacer hope you’re feeling better..

Thanks man. Wish I could be skiing. Decided to test 3 or 4 days into feeling shitty last week and of course…positive. Not sure how tf that happened, especially since the kids never got it. Either way…feel 100% now, did yesterday too for the most part, fever free all that good stuff. Last week though I was kicking myself for not getting the last booster cause it beat my ass hard one of those days.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Today reminded me of late season New England with the lovely sugar lumps all over.  Ill take it for what it is all in all JADIP and winter is returning!

The sugar lumps are more typical when it’s sort of cold and they haven’t blown snow in a really long time. For buttering around I guess they’re fun but most skiers don’t care for them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Sounds like a difficult decision. You can always skip skiing, work and housekeeping and just SUPO in your car for 90 minutes.

Yeah it will be just my luck I get a knock on the window from the Popo..but sounds like a good idea and housekeeping cums between 8-12. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The sugar lumps are more typical when it’s sort of cold and they haven’t blown snow in a really long time. For buttering around I guess they’re fun but most skiers don’t care for them. 

Sugar snow sucks. Sugar only belongs in my coffee.

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Was gonna say. Mashed potatoes are a different ball of wax all together…in a good way of course. Sugar just sucks. My least favorite condition to ski on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Thanks man. Wish I could be skiing. Decided to test 3 or 4 days into feeling shitty last week and of course…positive. Not sure how tf that happened, especially since the kids never got it. Either way…feel 100% now, did yesterday too for the most part, fever free all that good stuff. Last week though I was kicking myself for not getting the last booster cause it beat my ass hard one of those days.

See you tomorrow morning. 

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Yeah, im super surprised i have been able to pretty much ski the same trail over and over again for an hour or so.  imagine what it will be like when we have like 5-6 trails open?  holy fuck.  

of course i will be there tomorrow though.  i thought about skipping it, but im heading home, so its on my way.  if i ski 2 runs and split, i wont feel bad about it at all.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Can't skeezers do jump turns through the sugar lumps?  It's like moguls but with a fucked up rythm, you might need some special tunes.

Edited by DiMe

12 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Sugar snow better than fast grass and a closed resort.  We need to bring some stoke back into this forum geeezzzz.

There is no stoke with this forecast.  Sorry and Jackson hole is bone dry so don’t even have those webcams to watch.  I will bring the stoke when there is stoke to bring..I’m not sugarcoating stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Sugar snow better than fast grass and a closed resort.  We need to bring some stoke back into this forum geeezzzz.

Is it? Let’s say the skillz or even greek peak had an edgeable winter surface of some sort and blue had sugar, pack the car because I’m driving far from the sugar Sugar is very common to blue. I didn’t ski it too often, or if at all in hundreds of days logged at JFBB. @JFskiDan would you agree with that assessment? Ivan never skied it at elk…maybe a day or 2 at Shawnee or CB but sugar is kind of a blue mountain special 

45 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Well it looks better than the past month. 

IMG_4635.png

That cold has been moving back for weeks for now.  That was supposed to be here 3 days ago.  My confidence is kinda low at this point.  And i try not to get excited about things that might not come true.  I hope it comes, but like i said, not holding my breath.  lets see how this looks in 3 days....lol

• Like 4