New Skis

Cadillac

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast...I am not incorrect. That white stuff, as cadillac correctly pointed out, is your base oxidizing. It's essential rust for your base. :) The only stuff that spring snow leaves on your bases is a blackish/brown residue if you wipe your bases down with a towl after skiing....

And toast, if your bases aren't pure black after you wax/scrape/brush them, you're not doing it right, or not getting your wax hot enough to absorb into the base.

aaaaand you just posted that. and actually, i just waxed my skis last night and i can see the residue from the SnoMax that they use to make snow at Blue. Jeff, in a way, was incorrect and left uncorrected.

Bra that white stuff is freezer burn .......snowmax is a bacteria it doesn'tleave a film on your skis

What do you do at Booter mountain?

"My name is Mark and I'm a Ski Patroler." But I've been know to shin a gate or two now n Then.

Shzaam!

aaaaand you just posted that.

Yea sorry about the double Post but this guy was missing :nana

Edited by Cadillac

nothings up with that. nestors is the shit and they have a lot of customers to deal with. i havent heard of any shop mounting bindings in the same day.

Building a relationship with a shop will pay you back many times over. Work with the manager or the owner or someone who knows their stuff, like Justo and some others who are passionate about snow sports. They can and will get things done for you, face it they want more customers.

first off, Nestors was just rated the #1 ski shop in the country by ski magazine or somethnig like that so they obviously dont suck.

not to mention that they dont always have somebody there who can mount skis. it depends when the guy in the backshop is there.

Uhhhh.... Nestors is a great shop for the east coast, but I have had some silly issues with P. Jr over silly end of the season economics and discrepancies btween him and his staff. His staff quoted me better prices and when I showed up I got a higher price and for that reason. I will only go there for very specific things that I can't easily get elsewhere.

nestors is the shit and after reading this i have realized that some people are just dumbasses... not to offend anyone or anything

They have good days and bad days, here again all of the staff that I have met at each of the stores is chill, Peter Jr. sometimes is not.

Keep dreamin'... You'd be surprised at what you might get if you ask nicely. You'd also be surprised at how many people on this board might be willing to hook you up, as long as you don't come across as an asshole. There are alot of people on here with alot of connections.

This is the place in PA to come for info on tons of opionions. I believe in supporting shops primarily for the quality gear and Ebay for throwaway gear.

Wow... Any more questions, concerns, complaints, comments, etc...??? And don't anyone say, "ya but I can still get my stuff cheaper on the internet!" that has been discussed enough on this forum.

Here again - Ebay is the shit for throw away, lots of times, inaccuratly specified gear.

I have a dumb question...Is it really beneficial to wax? Bob & I had our skis waxed and tuned at the begining of the season and haven't touched them since. Should we have waxed...our skis that is.

Depends on the performance you are looking for and how often you ski. Get Bob to learn the basics with edge tune and basic wax. Leave base grinds for the shops. There are so many levels of waxing. Some wax is better than none. At this point in the season the best thing you can do is get an old iron, or a new cheap one and wax and then scrape as much off as you can to get the dirt out (you will be surprised if you use a white wax how dirty they are) and then wax and don't scrape for your summer storage. Make sure you at least wipe some on the edges to keep them from rusting. Then scrape it all off next season and put a fresh coat on.

There is tons of info on the internet about waxing. You do not need the high priced stuff unless you are racing.

Toast...I am not incorrect. That white stuff, as cadillac correctly pointed out, is your base oxidizing. It's essential rust for your base. :) The only stuff that spring snow leaves on your bases is a blackish/brown residue if you wipe your bases down with a towl after skiing....

And toast, if your bases aren't pure black after you wax/scrape/brush them, you're not doing it right, or not getting your wax hot enough to absorb into the base.

Uhhhhh... Jeff. you only ski primarily at Blue. I can tell you for a fact that blue has some of the dirtiest snow of all the places we have skied. (BC is actually kinda of yellow dirt) BLue's dirt is more black. CB was surprisingly clean early season. Howelsen hill was the dirtiest western slope I have ever seen. It was explained that prevailing winds from the west deposit dust from the surrounding hills on this east facing hill and the dirt is noticibly brown.

IF you steel brush the old wax off and then wax ans scrape again you will be very surprised to see how deep the dirt gets after one day. THat is if you are doing it right.

As far as being pure black, jeff. you are not entirely right because it depends on the additives. the HF's i use on ridges skis along with top coats leave a slight grayish color not noticeble until compared to his trainers on which I use a soft Hydrocarbon which seems to soak in better and leave the bases black. soaking the bases in wax is key, toast may be scraping too early, using a metal scraper or using to hard/cold of a wax or waxing a cold ski if he is getting a gray base.

BTW - expert wax techinicians are like doctors. It was funny to hear here in Steamboat all the different methods and types of coatings recomended for the race day. I stick with this method for performance (everyone who is into wax has their own thoughts and methods) - the point is wax is better than no wax.

Ridges race wax prep

Steel brush the all the old off.

Metal scape the fur raised

HC wax and warm scrape it all off

HC or LF wax and let sit overnight

Scrape and brass stiff nylon brush

Crayon in HF

then snow temp specific wax - guess work

scrape all the wax and brush out

Cork your preferred top coats.

I like the really hard yellow toko with felt (not cork)

along with pure flouro with felt so it gets into the structure.

Nano sprays IMO are a overpriced gimmicks

Bra Never use a metal scraper or metal brush.

You'll tear the structure right out of the skis

Crystal Glide 60$ then using a metal scraper worthless

Pete would even flipout if anyone used a metal scraper after he forked over the bill for that wintersteiger

Use a plexi scraper then a brass brush then horse hair brush for max results

Bra Never use a metal scraper or metal brush.

You'll tear the structure right out of the skis

You are semi correct. Steel brushes and metal scrapers are only used for base preparation for the start of waxing for high performance results. the steel brushes removes the previous wax and dirt yet it raises fibers that then are then needed to be scraped with the metal scraper. then you start the waxing process and only scrape the wax with plexiglass. The brass brush is used to remove excess wax in the base grind. then softer brushes for "polishing".

Here again the above process is really only necessary for serious performance results like racing. It is not necessary for the average rider/slider.

all I know is that George Risi doesn't use a metal scraper....

Ha, I want to ask his dad what he uses.

Sexkitten: at the very least, you should use a cheap wipe-on every day out. Pick up a bottle of universal paste and just hit your bases as you unload your car in the morning...takes a minute per ski. The hot wax you had done at the start of the season lasted until the end of your first day. You've been burning your bases ever since. You won't let that happen again next season, right?

Sexkitten: at the very least, you should use a cheap wipe-on every day out. Pick up a bottle of universal paste and just hit your bases as you unload your car in the morning...takes a minute per ski. The hot wax you had done at the start of the season lasted until the end of your first day. You've been burning your bases ever since. You won't let that happen again next season, right?

Yes Daddy. Maybe I'll get to meet you next season and you can teach me how to rub it on. Haha. Honestly, sorry I missed you today at Blue. We usually split after lunch cause we need to nap and get the housework done before work on Monday.

Justo You Work at Nestors and Still don't know when your skis need Wax. Maybe Tony at Blue Mt Sports could give you a TUNNING lesson a teach you how to make Pizza. Nestors must really be hurting for help if they hired you.

I hope they only let you work in the shoe Dept.[/color[/color]]

actually, i was my skis pretty much once a week. i know what oxidation is, but it seems like this year, more than any other, there's a lot more crap on my bases than ever before. i've never seen a base get that crudded up that quickly before, and my skis are not the only ones i've seen it happen to, do dont go claiming that i have no idea what i am talking about. i know what the snowmax stuff is; its a chemical made from bacteria which gives the water a particle to nucleate around. as for nestors hurting for help, i've worked there for six years. if a was as dumb as you say i am, dont you think i would have been replaced by now? i'll go get a TUNNING lesson from tony if you go get a spelling and grammar lesson from my first grade teacher.

i'll go get a TUNNING lesson from tony if you go get a spelling and grammar lesson from my first grade teacher.

You look more and more dumb all the time! Read your own post before you suggest others take a spelling/grammar lesson!

i was my skis pretty much once a week.

1. That would be WAX!

do dont go claiming that i have no idea what i am talking about.

2. I think that should be SO!

if a was as dumb as you say i am

3. Should that be "if I was as dumb as you say I am"?

Dope! :confused

Edited by First Grade Teacher

Brass is only needed for harder waxes, other then that I use my nylon for a warmer wax.

There are a bazillion different brushes with different thread thickness. You know what you are doing...

And Papasteeze, when I was at Camelback this year, it was EXTREMELY dirty. Worst I've ever seen.

Wouldn't doubt it depending on the days skied comparitively. My last day at CB was in the Beginning of Feb. It was just an observation of a noticible difference. You can look at my stats on the days skied where and see if that makes any sense on what I experienced.

all I know is that George Risi doesn't use a metal scraper....

Isn't there a story running around about him using a grill brush or something like that? I heard a story recently about someone with a huge amount of talent who doesn't tune their skis because they don't need to, or something like that....

BTW the metal scraper I have is very very sharp, nearly a quarter inch thick. Just a light pressure once and then a second the opposite direction removes the peach fuzz raised from the steel brushing. Here again, I only do that when the base waxing is lifting a lot of dirt or I am changing the type of base coat. Scraping the bases to that level, increases the liklihood that you will need a new grind. You know that if you are really into performance then the base grind should be changed to the type of snow conditions...

One person on Earth under age 90 that's yet to figure out eBay. Rob, you should probably lay low about that...

Once burned twice shy. Twice burned, never again. I have been shipped skis on 2 ocaisions that were not as described. I know that if I ever buy skis again from an online seller, I will as the question: is the item you are going to ship me exactly as described and have you physically checked it against what you are advertising? I didn't know that I had to do that! I may have just had bad luck. BTW - I was able to sell one set of Atomic skis for more than I paid for them. Ridge has another set that turned out to be the same dimensions as another set he already had and are his SL trainers :lol