bc new improvements

snowboarddude

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds really sick.

I might be getting a BC pass this year. It's much closer to me than Blue, so I can ski weekdays afterschool without a long ass 1 hour 15 minute drive, and it's cheaper which helps me out because I'm broke, all the time.

Time to break the silence.

Here are the improvements for this year:

1) Separating lower Black Bear from Lower Kodiak to allow more features to be put in that area and eliminate cross traffic

2) Adding an additional pump house with another 4000 gpm capacity, doubling our total pumping capacity to 8000 gpm

3) Doubling the size of the upper pond to accommodate storage requirements for doubled pumping capacity

4) Addition of 20 new automated fan guns

5) Permanent separation between the tubing park and the terrain park set up in the tubing area

6) Additional lighting in the tubing park area of the terrain park

7) New 64 room hotel, spa, outdoor pool and a new bar and grill

8) Dedicated park patrol to educate users on proper use and direct users to parks appropriate for their skill level

9) Increased park crew size with the goal of keeping all our features pristine and enable more frequent changes in the park

10) New Pisten Bully groomer, allowing 2 cats to be dedicated to the park each night

Now, to dispel some myths and confirm some rumors. Yes, the doubled pumping capacity will allow us to run all 120 guns at one time down to a wet-bulb of 23F. This will translate into the ability to open with more terrain and deeper base depths, earlier creation of larger features and faster recover from warm spells.

As for pass prices, we did increase pass prices by roughly 10%, adding roughly

They should raise the price to 70 dollars a day..that will keep the crowds down..

I bet it wouldn't make as much of an impact as you'd think. I see plenty of swanky cars and even swankier lodge Moms up at BC. Ugh.

I'd buy a chair as well...but I'd want some cable to hang it from...would be mad steezy yo..Holla..

I REALLY want a lift chair for my boom boom room!!!

Seriously. Mark, PM me. Please.

I know a couple of people that have them from the first double chair they tore out.If I remember correctly we were able to buy them for $25-$30 bucks a chair.I think they sold out rather quick.

When they replaced the begginer double and the triple I don't think they offered any for sale.

If you do happen to get one...be sure you have a really strong place to mount it...They are way heavy!!

If we do not sell the lift as a complete lift, we will more than likely sell the chairs individually.

We also have a few extra double chairs that we keep on hand for replacement. Those may also be available.

I can say that the purchase of Hall Chairlifts by Doppelmayr/CTEC has created a fairly high demand for old Hall chairs on the used equipment market and the chairs will likely sell for $100 to $200 a piece.

I will keep everyone posted as more information becomes available.

By the way, thanks for the compliment Method.

I don't want rumors to start flying around, so what follows is just an effort to gauge interest.

When I was in TX last year I stopped in at a place called the Texas Ski Ranch. They have a cable tow wakeboard park that looked like a good fit for our market. With the expanded pond, it might be feasible to put something like that in at Bear Creek.

Here are a few sites if anyone is interested, texasskiranch.com and cablewakeboard.com

We have to do a lot more research to determine what the potential revenue and return on investment would be. In addition, we have to assess the impact on other summer revenue streams and determine what potential conflicts we might have with events like weddings and corporate retreats.

So in a very informal market study, would something like that interest anyone?

I don't want rumors to start flying around, so what follows is just an effort to gauge interest.

When I was in TX last year I stopped in at a place called the Texas Ski Ranch. They have a cable tow wakeboard park that looked like a good fit for our market. With the expanded pond, it might be feasible to put something like that in at Bear Creek.

Here are a few sites if anyone is interested, texasskiranch.com and cablewakeboard.com

We have to do a lot more research to determine what the potential revenue and return on investment would be. In addition, we have to assess the impact on other summer revenue streams and determine what potential conflicts we might have with events like weddings and corporate retreats.

So in a very informal market study, would something like that interest anyone?

great another thing for me to spend money on. But YES, that would be AWESOME!

Andy is building new rails for this year, not sure on the quantity or what they will be. I know he is planning to upload photos as he builds them. I believe his plan is to fab the new rails starting in September. The beginning of the summer he spent repairing the existing rails.

From what I saw at Texas Ski Ranch, they were in the mid-20's for a two hour session, mid-30's for a 4 hour session and in the mid-40's for all day. I think their passes are in the $700 range for a season pass. If we do build something like that, we would definitely offer a year round pass that includes the cable park and winter.

If we discover that this is a viable summer activity, I hope they are more communicative than the snowflex people. We finally gave up on contacting them. We never heard a word.

We are always looking for land adjacent to Bear Creek and currently have a few feelers out but nothing really active.

Edited by BC-Mark

be sure you have a really strong place to mount it...They are way heavy!!

We would build something. My work neighbors are a metal working shop.

boom boom room?

Yeah... and? Haha. It's my name for our downstairs game room. It will have a pole though. OK... maybe not. It's a nice thought though.

i thought you were boycotting BC...

Bob is so by proxy so am I. Sadly though... sadly. Actually I may have talked him out of it by now. We'll see when ski season comes.

i dont realy know too much abuot wake boarding but i would def. try it. when i was up at bear today i saw all the old rails. i never realy noticed how much better the BC ironworks rails are built compared to whatever brand that white one is. the BC one seemed alot more tank like.(which is a good thing.)

As a wakeboarder my 2 cents:

Water needs to be at least 8 feet deep to cushion the falls, I don't think I've ever sunk more than my height but you don't want people touching the bottom - the pond is probably deep enough.

Generally when I go its 2 or 3 guys wakeboarding, we go for about 4 hours, and we alternate. Its really hard to go for more than 15 minutes in a row. So the pricing would have to take into account that you go about 15 minutes on the water, 15 minutes off. Maybe do it by laps? Buy a pass with say 20 laps on it and you can do 5 laps, wait around for a while, do 5 laps, etc because I find wakeboarding takes a lot more out of you than snowboarding.

Cable tow wakeboarding is very different from regular wakeboarding. Basically because there is no wake since there is no boat. It is GREAT for jibbing though. There is real potential here for BC to be world class in that respect, the jibs in the wakeboarding world now are a joke. Throw some guys who have experience in the snowboarding world at it, and some interesting stuff can be made. I don't really understand how guys get air without a wake, apparently that part becomes more like kiteboarding.

It will probably be the cheapest way for people to go wakeboarding in the area. I own a boat, boards, etc and the gas alone comes out to a lot more than $25 an hour. Much less if you had to rent stuff or find a place with a boat. It would be an interesting activity that a lot of people would travel for.

Plus - I find wakeboarding to be closer to snowboarding than skateboarding is.

Also, a wakeboarding pond can be open earlier and later in the year than a water park. I generally go from like 7-10am before the ocean gets rough, and start in may and end in october. We throw on wetsuits and you are only in the water for about 2 minutes before you get up so it doesn't matter if the ocean is 55 - not the same as a water park.

Edited by Method9455

Wakeboarding would be some sick stuff.

The BC improvements sound awesome. I always get to BC 3-4 times a year - and its one of my favorites - a good place to meet my jersey friends for a night. Without a doubt, BC is become one of the best resorts in the state...but I agree with the person that said they need some more land. Thinking snowboaring in August...shiiiit.