February Jackson Hole Trip Report

AtomicSkier

LOL...almost every single one of those pictures are stock photos from other snowfalls. They met up with Julie Wienberger, but that photo of her is not from that trip. Oh, and Andrew Whiteford is a JHMR sponsored skier. Those photos are NOT from their trip. The guys in the last picture are the people who were at JHMR. There are no pictures of them actually skiing, all the action shots are of pros. And, I was here in early January, and now early February, and there has not been that much snow in between. So, good try new schoolers.

That picture of Andrew Whiteford was from Ski Magazine. :rofl

Every hill has a different policy. Bridger doesn't allow any uphill travel outside of the established boot packs and traverses. Winter Park allowed hiking and skinning with lots of upper mountains lifts that were subject to poaching. So few people did it, that I guess it wasn't an issue.

The National Forrest argument is incredibly weak and shows a real lack of understanding for how the agreements work.

Banding together as a community and asking the ski area to provide the services and opportunities that you want is clearly what saved the day.

The guy who got arrested seems to be in as much trouble for being uncooperative as anything else.

Although we're a "destination" ski area, the bulk of tickets are sold to Montanans. The locals who skin up are for the most part season ticket holders who like a lot of exercise. I knew about Bridger, don't understand the issue there, but don't understand the ownership there either. The various parties here (National Forest, WMR and the uphill people) outlined the issues on either side of the problem and made it a goal to reconcile the issues so that everyone is happy. Now the biggest problems are with the tourons who are not aware of changes to the policy, which HAD been a free-for-all. You'd come around a blind curve and there would be these idiots all in a bunch on a narrow trail across a cliff face. F-in ridiculous. Now they have routes that make sense and signs designating the routes. Since downhill skiers can see the signs (I think "Caution" or "slow" is on the flip side towards downhill skiers and "Uphill Route" is on the side facing the skinners), it isn't really an issue. You've been told to watch out and slow down for that type of traffic. Most of the uphill traffic here is early AM or late PM, anyway. There used to be idiots walking straight up Ptarmigan Bowl in midday. That's done with. Some of the uphill people had gotten into it with the guys trying to groom. That, I think, is over. I think there might be approved hiking hours as well, so that the groomers still working say, at midnight, aren't going to have problems grooming the uphill routes because of people still climbing when it's totally dark.

Although we're a "destination" ski area, the bulk of tickets are sold to Montanans. The locals who skin up are for the most part season ticket holders who like a lot of exercise. I knew about Bridger, don't understand the issue there, but don't understand the ownership there either. The various parties here (National Forest, WMR and the uphill people) outlined the issues on either side of the problem and made it a goal to reconcile the issues so that everyone is happy. Now the biggest problems are with the tourons who are not aware of changes to the policy, which HAD been a free-for-all. You'd come around a blind curve and there would be these idiots all in a bunch on a narrow trail across a cliff face. F-in ridiculous. Now they have routes that make sense and signs designating the routes. Since downhill skiers can see the signs (I think "Caution" or "slow" is on the flip side towards downhill skiers and "Uphill Route" is on the side facing the skinners), it isn't really an issue. You've been told to watch out and slow down for that type of traffic. Most of the uphill traffic here is early AM or late PM, anyway. There used to be idiots walking straight up Ptarmigan Bowl in midday. That's done with. Some of the uphill people had gotten into it with the guys trying to groom. That, I think, is over. I think there might be approved hiking hours as well, so that the groomers still working say, at midnight, aren't going to have problems grooming the uphill routes because of people still climbing when it's totally dark.

No one skis the base lifts at Bridger. No one checks the upper lifts at Bridger. I think they have a universal policy to keep it simple and to prevent people from going up into closures, or up into mandatory beacon terrain without going through the check points. Also the obvious is poaching the lifts. You can however skin up next to the boundary, ski in and catch an upper mountain lift. I know people do this regularly.

LOL...almost every single one of those pictures are stock photos from other snowfalls. They met up with Julie Wienberger, but that photo of her is not from that trip. Oh, and Andrew Whiteford is a JHMR sponsored skier. Those photos are NOT from their trip. The guys in the last picture are the people who were at JHMR. There are no pictures of them actually skiing, all the action shots are of pros. And, I was here in early January, and now early February, and there has not been that much snow in between. So, good try new schoolers.

That picture of Andrew Whiteford was from Ski Magazine. :rofl

Well, this of course is as stupid. While I talked shit on your stoke threads for using stoke photos, using them in your TR has to be worse. Thanks for the call out of bullshitness.

I'm having a really fun day. Feeling good boots feel great. AH and Atomic Jeff quit about two runs ago and are at the Mangy Moose. I just did a non stop screamer. Central Chute which the boys didn't want to ski nonstop to lower Tramline. I also skied Bird in Hand to Bernies bowl earlier. Now about to get off the Gondola.

Get some! Camelback was nice today :P

Conditions were great today. The new snow really filled in some spots and made the rest of the mountain even better. Apparently today was gaper day. Goofballs everywhere. An 87-year-old Aussie woman rode the first gondi of the day with us, and asked "So who's the snowboarder here?" Another guy and I raised our hands, and she replied, "Why!?!" She went on a tirade about how awful snowboarders are. I've never punched an octogenarian before, but I was getting close to finding out. She then got back to fussing with her moleskin noseflap she had velcroed to her goggles. A fine look for any season. The tram going back to 1992 leaves shortly, and you might want to be on it, grandma.

• Like 1

Hahaha just when I said before I didn't want to date any girls over 26. Lol

Uh... dummy... I don't think she wanted a date. Ugh.

it's silly how much you guys care about first class.

It's great for long flights especially when you're 6' tall and 75% of that is legs.

I must be giving off the DTF non threatening pheromones. Cougar at bar started convo with me....was touching me and shit yikes but she didn't buy me a drink like JH cougs.

This is why you never get laid. We're going to need to talk soon.

• Like 1

I have to say it was an awesome JH trip. My stoke levels dropped after I injured my shoulder at Jack Frost 6 days before our first ski day. It was hard to get excited for a trip when your shoulder was basically useless. However, some immobilization for 4 days with PT mixed in, and stoke levels were on the rise. Day 1 was the true test. My arms felt pretty good with the help of an EVS shoulder brace. The key for me was to not fall, at all, so I couldn't exactly ski the way I wanted to. That, and doing a pole plant with my left arm was very though, so I couldn't hop turn in tight places like I needed to, so that affected what terrain I skied, and how I skied it. I managed to get through 7 days of skiing awesome terrain at JH without falling once, thus helping my shoulder heal and allowing me 3 good weeks of healing before my next trip. Pole plants were coming easier the last few days, and I could even crank down on my boots with my left arm.

Even with that in the back of my mind, the skiing was great, the snow was great, and the company was awesome. Fun times in JH, for sure. After 7 days of listening to GSS blab on and on, I had to tell him to STFU at the airport as I was too tired to listen to him any more. :rofl

I have to say it was an awesome JH trip. My stoke levels dropped after I injured my shoulder at Jack Frost 6 days before our first ski day. It was hard to get excited for a trip when your shoulder was basically useless. However, some immobilization for 4 days with PT mixed in, and stoke levels were on the rise. Day 1 was the true test. My arms felt pretty good with the help of an EVS shoulder brace. The key for me was to not fall, at all, so I couldn't exactly ski the way I wanted to. That, and doing a pole plant with my left arm was very though, so I couldn't hop turn in tight places like I needed to, so that affected what terrain I skied, and how I skied it. I managed to get through 7 days of skiing awesome terrain at JH without falling once, thus helping my shoulder heal and allowing me 3 good weeks of healing before my next trip.

What kind of injury do you think you sustained? Some of the symptoms sound similar. What kinda PT? My pain is most acute when I raise my arm past 90 degrees. Hurts to sleep on it, and hard pole plants cause some pain as well. I haven't done anything yet, just taking it ez, prolly going to try and swim next week and see if that'll help. I f'ed up my left shoulder years ago and after about nine months of swimming it's pain free. I got an ortho appointment, but might reschedule it since it hasn't gotten any worse.

Edited by moeghoul

What kind of injury do you think you sustained? Some of the symptoms sound similar. What kinda PT? My pain is most acute when I raise my arm past 90 degrees. Hurts to sleep on it, and hard pole plants cause some pain as well. I haven't done anything yet, just taking it ez, prolly going to try and swim next week and see if that'll help. I f'ed up my left shoulder years ago and after about nine months of swimming it's pain free. I got an ortho appointment, but might reschedule it since it hasn't gotten any worse.

I know exactly what it was...dislocated shoulder.

The Good: The few pictures you guys posted.

The Bad: The TR with the small amount of pictures you guys posted.

The Ugly: Your wordy TRs that had nothing to do with the skiing and without pictures.

I only posted the pictures that were worthy of being posted. I took like 400 pictures.

I was there for only 3 day last year, and it was a life-changer. This year was even better. Despite Doug never ever, ever, ever, ever stopping talking (ever), it was an amazing trip. My first day, we hit totally untracked powder all morning. Riding a legit powder board through powder is just ridiculous. Even when we only had 3-4 inches of new powder, the mountain was amazing. Hitting untracked lines through the back bowls is something everyone should experience. And when you can tell a woman's ass looks good through ski pants, you know her ass is unbelievable. B)

Even though my board choices might have been a little off (should've ridden the SL more than the Premier F-1), I've never had a better 5 days out. As much as I missed my wife and dogs and all that, I still wish I was there. And I've already got a line on stiffer boots for next year. My calf muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus for those in the biz) are still jacked.

I'm still surprised there's still snowboarder hate. Between that awful Aussie woman and that rotten guy from T.O. ("You know what's great about Alta? No snowboarders!"), it's really surprising there's still that old school attitude that exists. The past should stay in the past. And one-piece suits should go into the incinerator.