Winter Park / Steamboat

phillycore

Final thoughts while waiting for the plane to board... I can't decide which mountain I like better. Steamboat or WP. I may actually be leaning WP. When I eventually take the kids out west. WP makes sense since the mountain is pretty mild with the exception of a few areas of course. I could bring my kid up to the bowl and she wouldn't have any issues. And the town is cool with plenty to do. Wanted Vazquez cirque but it was pretty bare. A patroller said it was crusty and not worth the 45 minute hike (they weren't running the cat.)

Steamboats trees are sick we just didn't get the snow to do them justice. X-mas and the chutes held great snow though. Pretty amazing since it's been so dry. That whole area of the mountain is underrated overall. Not much in the way of groomers to give the legs a break at the boat. Was nice to actually get some of that in WP. Morningside was fun but again snow could've been better. The hike up then down alarm clock to morning side was Sierra cement. The hike back up then down the N side (no names etc) was straight powder. Like night and day.

Overall a kick ass trip with the fellas. The Utah mountains (bird, solly) still rank up there for me but boat and WP aren't far behind in my book.

Finally a huge huge HUGE thank you to Barb for her generosity. So much fun hanging out with you. Hope to visit / ski with you again soon! Thanks again!

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 3

Some. The best snow was up high. So that's where we stayed. There is so much to winter Park that I know I missed.

You can't ski a while several thousand acre mountain in a day. Why I gotta get back to A Basin and Copper mountain and Beaver Creek and Steamboat. I missed alot at all of them. Loveland I skied the whole mountain in a day. It's tiny.

Anyway I don't know if I mentioned this before but this thread delivered like FedEx!!!

You guys land?? The flight from Denver to DC only took like 2 hours and 45 minutes due to strong tail winds...

What time did you guys leave winter park this morning?

Last week I swore off air travel until about 2 hours after I returned...I don't know if all y'all like Eddie Money...I do...while two tickets to paradise is the most famous song. When I ski somewhere I wanna revisit this song always plays in my headpod.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqHEgzBr1M

• Like 1

I'm home.... We left winter park at 5:40am.... Took off a little bit after 10am and arrived at PHL about 3:25pm.

Huge Thank you going out to Barb and it was awesome to ski / hang out with you!!!

All in all a good trip even considering the lack of snow we got while there.

Now the unpacking begins and back to reality tomorrow morning.....

• Like 2

Not to bump this thread but I probably won't ski again until Tuesday and I'm sitting here watching Curious George's Spring Fever special and the kids and currently under its spell so I'll grace you with a variation of Doug's good, bad and ugly dealios.

Really Good

- Hanging out and skiing with with Barb!

- powder in Christmas tree bowl and the chutes at the boat

- amazing views at winter Park

- the Steamboat steakhouse and the Irish joint in Winter Park

- the cheap as hell Olympian pass / lodging deal.(window prices at $120 are insane).

- great snow skiers right in Parsenns bowl and the trees below at Winter Park all the way down to the panorama lift.

- Waffle maker at the Steamboat Inn.

- Positive reactions to wearing a Tom Brady Jersey in Colorado.

Good...

- good snow overall despite how dry the west has been.

- Weezer stoke on the way to Steamboat and the U2 playing from phillycore's phone (he's a closet fan)

- snowing on Berthoud and Rabbit ear pass was good for stoke

- Free hot chocolate at the base of Steamboat

- The PA dude who liked my jacket in the panorama lift line.

- The Steamboat local who gave us tips on the Morningside lift

- Bluebird skiing each day

- the lady working at the pizza joint at the Steamboat base with the female version of my name.

Not so good..

- hiking to the top of Mt Werner at steamboat to ski what looked like untouched lines but was crud instead (totally my fault)

- Phillycore's single ski ejection that travelled 100 yards down a steep chute nearly piercing both Dan and myself on the way down.

- The rental car with 0 horsepower that could barely fit all of our shit

- the drunk dude from Iowa with a cold, passing around a flask and coughing up a lung in the gondi at steamboat at 830 am

If I think of more I'll post.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't know where to put this so put it in Winter Park thread. Just renewed my season pass and am so happy Eldora is still on the rocky mountain super pass for next season! Very convenient for me to drive up there on weekdays. $469 unlimited to WP/Copper/Eldora. 6 days at Steamboat and 3 at Crested Butte. Maybe next season I will actually go to one of the other resorts (but I say that every season). Such a deal, before I left Jersey I was paying $500 for JFBB.

On a side note, this thread is still better than the Utah thread. Step up your game Toast!

• Like 2