Is Your Season Over?

Ride Delaware ?

I'll be in Denver on business end of May and was thinking of checking out Arapahoe on Sunday, May 22nd. Never skied out west that late. Will there be anything there to make it worthwhile or just a few short or bump runs?

its hit or miss that time of year. There will still be a ton of snow, however, if it is/has been really warm, all of the steeper stuff will be closed due to wet slide danger. There is also the chance, that if it has been cold, they could still be close to 100% open. I have skied pali and the east wall past that date in past years, the weather just has to cooperate.

Either way it will be fun, I recommend going...if only to experience the beach and the awesome natural pond skim that forms at the bottom of the Lenawee lift.

its hit or miss that time of year. There will still be a ton of snow, however, if it is/has been really warm, all of the steeper stuff will be closed due to wet slide danger. There is also the chance, that if it has been cold, they could still be close to 100% open. I have skied pali and the east wall past that date in past years, the weather just has to cooperate.

Either way it will be fun, I recommend going...if only to experience the beach and the awesome natural pond skim that forms at the bottom of the Lenawee lift.

Thanks for the info. I'm flying Southwest so I think I'll take my skis with me and check the weather as it gets closer.

Nothing on the calender for Sunday so I'd be heading up to the mountains anyway. I have a party to go to Saturday night so I don't know how early I'll get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, my season is now over. I was really hoping to get out for another 3 day stint in VT, but I really need 3 days of good weather to make the drive worth it, and that just hasn't been happening the past couple weeks... Season lasted from Dec 6 to April 7... Not my longest season, or the most days, but it was acceptable... I guess I'll see the snow in 6 months...

$4/gal gas officially ends my season for a journey north. Thought about heading up this weekend for spring korn, but that ain't happening. I'm wondering what gas prices are going to look like next season and if it makes sense to rent a place and season pass somewhere again. If gas hits $5/gal, even daytrips to Blue are gonna get costly unless the car is packed with bodies carpooling.

Yes it does fluctuate but over the last few years it goes down less so you have a higher starting point every spring. I just paid $75 to fill up my Acura. And we use a tank on a round-trip to Tahoe. I am looking forward to feeling more flush once we stop doing that trip 2-3x month. This weekend is our last ski weekend of the year! Passholder party at Squaw. :) I am ready to get my warm weather activities on!

Once gas hits $5 people will trade in their eco disaster SUVs for small cars that get 40+ mpg. Call me crazy but I want to see gas prices go up.

Less consumption people will stop commuting an hour to work and get homes near their jobs...less greenhouse gases...maybe there's still a chance the world will last more than another generation or two.

Idiot

• Like 1

Posted Today, 02:38 PM

GrilledSteezeSandwich, on 28 April 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

Once gas hits $5 people will trade in their eco disaster SUVs for small cars that get 40+ mpg. Call me crazy but I want to see gas prices go up.

Less consumption people will stop commuting an hour to work and get homes near their jobs...less greenhouse gases...maybe there's still a chance the world will last more than another generation or two.

Idiot

You meant to hit your forehead with the back of your hand when you said that, right?

Because if you didn't you'd be the first "idiot" teacher that I would vote to lose their collective bargaining rights and to get fired for being an "idiot".

Follow the money trail.......Idiot.

While I realize its alot more fun to be an idiot and think that somehow exxon or chevron is fucking you over, Oil is a fungible world market. What we used to call the big seven aren't even big anymore, Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon, Chevron, BP, etc. are tiny compared to Saudi Aramco and Gasprom. Exxon is no more able to determine the price at the pump than I am able to shit rainbow sprinkles.

Gas is expensive because its pretty fucking important and kinda tough to get out of the ground, sprinkle in some speculation and your easily at 4$ a gallon. At the most basic level a team of people has to study for years sometimes to find recoverable reserves, millions of dollars of equipment and personnel are then brought it and they drill a hole 20,000 feet into the ground where they then use the earth's natural pressure to pump that shit to holding vessles. It is then pumped to another vessel which then ships it thousands of miles to a terminal facility where it is again delivered to a refinery. The product is then refined, delivered to a distribution center and then trucked to the gas station where some schmuck either makes a 1/4 of cent a gallon or uses it as a loss leader. All that shit and your bitching about 4$ a gallon.......get a fucking clue dumb fucks your aren't going to be able to use endless amounts of energy for the rest of your lives its simply not possible.

Lets not even talk about EIA estimates or Land Export Model or how 300 million dumb fucks can't get it through their head that you are not entitled to endless amounts of thermal energy.

While I realize its alot more fun to be an idiot and think that somehow exxon or chevron is fucking you over, Oil is a fungible world market. What we used to call the big seven aren't even big anymore, Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon, Chevron, BP, etc. are tiny compared to Saudi Aramco and Gasprom. Exxon is no more able to determine the price at the pump than I am able to shit rainbow sprinkles.

Gas is expensive because its pretty fucking important and kinda tough to get out of the ground, sprinkle in some speculation and your easily at 4$ a gallon. At the most basic level a team of people has to study for years sometimes to find recoverable reserves, millions of dollars of equipment and personnel are then brought it and they drill a hole 20,000 feet into the ground where they then use the earth's natural pressure to pump that shit to holding vessles. It is then pumped to another vessel which then ships it thousands of miles to a terminal facility where it is again delivered to a refinery. The product is then refined, delivered to a distribution center and then trucked to the gas station where some schmuck either makes a 1/4 of cent a gallon or uses it as a loss leader. All that shit and your bitching about 4$ a gallon.......get a fucking clue dumb fucks your aren't going to be able to use endless amounts of energy for the rest of your lives its simply not possible.

Lets not even talk about EIA estimates or Land Export Model or how 300 million dumb fucks can't get it through their head that you are not entitled to endless amounts of thermal energy.

not enough fucks ;)

The truth is, gas prices are what they are. Nothing any single person can do about it. If you want to drive your car, you've got to pay to play.

not enough fucks ;)

The truth is, gas prices are what they are. Nothing any single person can do about it. If you want to drive your car, you've got to pay to play.

I'm compensating for my language at home, daughter is in the repeat stage so I've really cleaned it up. :lol:

The second sentence is the cold hard truth, better get a decent job and get your duckets in order. Poor people will crap out first and the price will come down as long as the non OECD countries don't suck up the excess capacity.

There certainly is rampant speculation at play in the market but that's adding 50 cents to maybe a buck, they will cash out in maybe 6 months when the higher price hurts their positions more generally but its $3+ until somebody figures out how we're all moving around without sweet sweet crude.

There certainly is rampant speculation at play in the market but that's adding 50 cents to maybe a buck, they will cash out in maybe 6 months when the higher price hurts their positions more generally but its $3+ until somebody figures out how we're all moving around without sweet sweet crude.

Hopefully, someone figures out you can't get high off hemp bio-diesel.

You meant to hit your forehead with the back of your hand when you said that, right?

Because if you didn't you'd be the first "idiot" teacher that I would vote to lose their collective bargaining rights and to get fired for being an "idiot".

Follow the money trail.......Idiot.

WTF are you talking about? Anyone who states that they hope gas prices go up is an idiot. What that has to do with collective bargaining is a mystery to me. Go smoke another one...................IDIOT.

And we continue to digress... Gas is what it is... It probably won't reduce my trips next winter, even if it is at $5 a gallon. Would it be awesome to see it cheaper? Yes... Would it help curb what is sure to be rampant inflation? Yes... Would cheap gas continue to help the economy grow? Yes... Is gas a privatized industry with several (even if they are smaller) competitors? Yes... Do they also believe in supply and demand that help to drive profits and make a business sustainable? Yes... As long as we don't suffer any gas rationing, I won't cut, and will hopefully increase my trips next year. There is nothing I gain out of bitching about it...

I'm an idiot we are all idiots for consuming so much of the earths natural resources somethings got to give. Anyway adjusted for inflation gas is where it should be. Moe Ghoul is really cheap how he can afford being retired in his 40s.

Turning 50 end of May. :crymore:

WTF are you talking about? Anyone who states that they hope gas prices go up is an idiot. What that has to do with collective bargaining is a mystery to me. Go smoke another one...................IDIOT.

Because what GSS said made a lot of sense. Anyone who thinks we are paying only $4.00/gal. is an idiot. How many BILLIONS did the wars in the Middle East cost us? That all of us pay for and our kids will be paying for; not the oil companies, but they sure profited from it while getting tax cuts at the same time. Seen their profit statements lately? The same people that want to keep us on fossil fuels, pay for propaganda and junk science to discredit global warming, and give tax breaks to billionaires while the middle class suffers. Think your vote counts? The next Presidential election is going to cost a $1 billion. How much are you donating?

And if you don't think the wars were about oil....how many poor African countries are we "fighting for freedom" in? Get off the oil and they'd go back to throwing sticks and stones at each other.

If you're a teacher and all you can think about is cheap gas for you and not a bit about how the world works, the bigger picture, and how we'll deal with things once the ruling class has rung every last cent out of their obsolete industries, well there isn't much hope for the future.

• Like 2

Because what GSS said made a lot of sense. Anyone who thinks we are paying only $4.00/gal. is an idiot. How many BILLIONS did the wars in the Middle East cost us? That all of us pay for and our kids will be paying for; not the oil companies, but they sure profited from it while getting tax cuts at the same time. Seen their profit statements lately? The same people that want to keep us on fossil fuels, pay for propaganda and junk science to discredit global warming, and give tax breaks to billionaires while the middle class suffers. Think your vote counts? The next Presidential election is going to cost a $1 billion. How much are you donating?

And if you don't think the wars were about oil....how many poor African countries are we "fighting for freedom" in? Get off the oil and they'd go back to throwing sticks and stones at each other.

If you're a teacher and all you can think about is cheap gas for you and not a bit about how the world works, the bigger picture, and how we'll deal with things once the ruling class has rung every last cent out of their obsolete industries, well there isn't much hope for the future.

Wow ..........I've got a Collective Bargaining migraine! Never mind, I hope gas goes to $10 a gallon.