October is Upon Us

Ride Delaware ?

Well, instead of continuing the "Light at the End of the Tunnel" thread, I personally think that October warrants its own thread. In October we will see our first snowmaking of the season (out west and in the east), we will most likely see some October openings (Loveland, A Basin, Sunday River, and Killington), fall foliage in full effect (if it isnt already), daylight savings time, raking leaves, buying season passes, SexKitten haunted house trip reports, football every Sunday, and whatever else I'm missing. We will also see our first significant snowfalls of the season. While Mount Washington and Cannon Mountain had dustings on September 29, Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia (cue John Denver song) has reportedly received several inches (up to 6 at the peak). I saw a picture of the village covered in snow, but didnt have the time to transpose it here. If anyone else can do that quicker than me, that would be sweet.

Key the Stoke!!!

Here ya go! Is West virginny the new go to for 1st trxx of the season now? They got hammered early last year.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/43552

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5na-rguoOms&feature=player_embedded

I dunno... I'm sure other people from here have been to Snowshoe, but its rare to see someone on this board that has... I have been there twice, and the story with them is always the same. It can be awesome or it can be terrible. They have great elevation and receive great lake effect snowfall (180 in average with some years over 225 in), but their latitude and longitude make them very susceptible to freeze thaws. They will have years when they receive 5-6 feet before Christmas (like the last two years), or barely have any trails open by Christmas (7 trails in 03-04 if my memory serves correctly). The first time I went was in January of 2000 after a freeze thaw, and they had some bare spots and some very icy spots. By the end of the trip it was pretty nice since they had been making snow around the clock and groomed like crazy. The second time I went in 04 they had negative wind chills with real temps in the low teens, but they were blowing snow and had 2 feet plus of fresh snow. Conditions were epic and it was blower pow. They definitely get some pretty dry powder there. I have not been since they added the gladed trail and new high speed quad. However, if they got dumped on like they have the past couple years, it sounds like it could be a good early season locale. So, the moral of the story is that it can be hit or miss.

I'd only head down if it got hit with a good storm and there wasn't anything worth driving to up north. I hit the sweet spot on a trip down there last season, reposting my first video edit when I went down there to get in the mood for the upcoming season.

Ride Deleware when do you find out about the job at Sunday River?

Official word comes out in the beginning of November once they have a final count of who will be coming back and who is not. I'm still fairly certain I'm in good shape, but I won't know until then. Doesn't leave me much time to find a place to stay, but thats the least of my worries until that issue presents itself.

we were driving back from the in-laws in ohio last nite and it was def cold in the mtns along the turnpike (mid-30's). not sure if i'm gonna be able to do any skiing anywhere this month, but i'm really hoping for some turkey-day turns ;)

Word on the street is that Blue Knob posted 2 inches from this little storm. If your lucky Big Boulder will have some T Day turns this year. Camelback had a hike park one year (although they could have opened from the top with lift service), and a couple years ago Blue opened on that Friday, but your definitely going to be lucky to get that. Your best bet for a close mountain will be something in the Catskillz. Most likely Hunter will have a couple runs, and sometimes Belleayre has a couple runs on the top of the mountain. Other than that, your looking at Vermont or bust...

I'd only head down if it got hit with a good storm and there wasn't anything worth driving to up north. I hit the sweet spot on a trip down there last season, reposting my first video edit when I went down there to get in the mood for the upcoming season.

Awesome video. Definitely huge for stoke. When were you down there again? How were the Sawmill Glades? They are the only on map glades, and they weren't there when I was there last.

Official word comes out in the beginning of November once they have a final count of who will be coming back and who is not. I'm still fairly certain I'm in good shape, but I won't know until then. Doesn't leave me much time to find a place to stay, but thats the least of my worries until that issue presents itself.

Good deal. That should give us plenty of time to look up hotels and for a good weekend for the PASR crew to crash the mountain.

Good deal. That should give us plenty of time to look up hotels and for a good weekend for the PASR crew to crash the mountain.

If I were available, I would be more than willing to show you guys around the mountain, since I think very few of you have actually been there, but I think its a little too far for a weekend trip...

If I were available, I would be more than willing to show you guys around the mountain, since I think very few of you have actually been there, but I think its a little too far for a weekend trip...

Remember its Rivah not river and you'll be well on your way to becoming an official Maineiac

Remember its Rivah not river and you'll be well on your way to becoming an official Maineiac

Hopefully I won't get into any River/Loaf throw downs at the bar... River goers apparently don't have a beef with the Loaf, but the Loaf apparently holds a grudge against the River... Ive heard that for several years now...

While season temps have been higher than average (other than these past two days), it looks like temps at Sunday River and Killington will dip below freezing on Thursday. I wonder if they will blow the mice out? Should be possible at higher elevations. Temps also appear to be dropping at Loveland by the end of this week, so I would be surprised if we didn't hear from them sometime soon also...

Your best bet for a close mountain will be something in the Catskillz.

we went to windham last april, great times there. the dude at the demo shop there said they try to open up for thanksgiving, so i've had windham (and hunter) in the back of mind for quite some time....

we went to windham last april, great times there. the dude at the demo shop there said they try to open up for thanksgiving, so i've had windham (and hunter) in the back of mind for quite some time....

Each to his own, but other than the excess of MILFs at Windham, there is very little to entertain me there. I don't get bored often, but I was bored there after about 2 or 3 hours. Little to no pitch with nothing that challenging. If your not up for Plattekill (which isnt really known for early season), then your best early season bet for terrain and lift infrastructure for crowds is going to be Hunter. They aim for Thanksgiving but have opened earlier if weather permits...

Each to his own, but other than the excess of MILFs at Windham, there is very little to entertain me there. I don't get bored often, but I was bored there after about 2 or 3 hours. Little to no pitch with nothing that challenging. If your not up for Plattekill (which isnt really known for early season), then your best early season bet for terrain and lift infrastructure for crowds is going to be Hunter. They aim for Thanksgiving but have opened earlier if weather permits...

Huntah...where's the dude who rides there...seriously the worst place on earth

07 started real warm and that was one of the best in a long time, October skiing is ok but we all have to remember to be patient. Dumb asses dropping 10 on 3" because they are so stoked just to be out, then they get three months off to fix the fib/tib.

When were you down there again? How were the Sawmill Glades? They are the only on map glades, and they weren't there when I was there last.

I thought I had gone in Nov, turns out it was mid december. I stumbled on the Sawmill glades by accident. Coming off the lift, you go right to get to a few runs, including Sawmill, which was roped off. But if you continue going right past the top of the run you enter a wooded area that had an obscured sign for the glades and the access road led towards an area that was being developed, IIRC. So I banked left into the woods, skied about a 1/3 of the way down in the woods paralleling Sawmill and cut back onto the ungroomed slope back to the lift. Did that for 2 days and might have seen 1 or 2 boarders follow me. I was the only skier on fat rockered boards enjoying the shin deep pow.

The fraternity house at Lehigh used to be managed and budgeted by the fraternity brothers. By the time I got there, the university had taken over all aspects of house management except for the food budget. However, before this, the brothers goal was to hold out on turning on the heat until after Thanksgiving. I heard our living room would hover in the mid 40s some years before they turned it on. Saved them a bunch of money, and back then they used the fireplace more often than for several special occasions. Now the undergrads can waste as much as they want whenever they want. All factored in to the current pricing model.

Two years ago when I lived with my roommate, we had a mild October and didn't turn the heat on until November 10th when the temp was just about 60 inside.