What's New at Blue 2012

RootDKJ

I cannot complain about Blue's Patrol's emergency care. I have nothing but great things to say.

I have a big problem with them playing traffic cop. It's a love/hate thing :)

You blew a femur right ? Did they freak out ? My cousin snapped his at Mt. Snow and the first lady that showed up almost passed out after yelling about the femoral artery for five minuets. Its certainly a difficult job but it doesn't really help when the person that is supposed to help you is having a major melt down.

I'm ok with the slow skiing as long as they used some common sense, Monday night at 9:30 when there are literally 5 people in the whole place is a fine time for some speed on Paradise, Saturday at noon is not.

You blew a femur right ? Did they freak out ? My cousin snapped his at Mt. Snow and the first lady that showed up almost passed out after yelling about the femoral artery for five minuets. Its certainly a difficult job but it doesn't really help when the person that is supposed to help you is having a major melt down.

I'm ok with the slow skiing as long as they used some common sense, Monday night at 9:30 when there are literally 5 people in the whole place is a fine time for some speed on Paradise, Saturday at noon is not.

Freak out? Nope. Extremely calm. They had me out of there quick. If not for the weather they would've flown me, but bus it was. The most painful part of it all was keeping my [5 day old] Lange boot on my right foot for the entire ambulance ride. My foot fucking killed. I kept asking for more morphine because I couldn't take the pain from the boot :D I think I was posting on PASR with the lights and sirens going haha

The most interaction I've had with patrol was last summer mountain biking during one of the races. Guy flatted, pushed through a turn and took a tree to the leg and I think dislocated his knee. He was totally calm until the d-league showed up and tried to position him for the backboard by pulling on his leg. Oops.

The most interaction I've had with patrol was last summer mountain biking during one of the races. Guy flatted, pushed through a turn and took a tree to the leg and I think dislocated his knee. He was totally calm until the d-league showed up and tried to position him for the backboard by pulling on his leg. Oops.

Witnessed this and it seemed painful, I also think that was the dudes first year. He also seemed a little slow, no pun intended.

I hope I'm a decent ski patroller... I don't want to be that guy...

If you work at SR or something of that caliber the discussion is totally different, you could still be a dick but not for Blue Mtn type reasons. LOL

I know of a place in PA were a liftie was riding around the bull wheel (big no-no most places) not paying attention and the chair dumped him about 30ft to the ground. "Patrol" took 15mins to get to him and then fucked up getting him in a toboggan twice. When the ambulance arrived they told the dudes that he had no neck or back injuries just a broken leg which wasn't remotely accurate. Dude ended up being fine, I still ride with him occasionally but not all ski patrols are created equally particularly at smaller mtns.

exactly, and that's a problem. their park is good now, why not capitalize on that and bring in some more money?

ive tried man. i cant send them anymore essays trying to get them to do something. when you have management so obviously not oriented in park construction it just creates frustration all around. theyre looking for a new web rep or whatever and really thats all the park needs to get exposure. ramano was out a lot with a camera but i only saw 2 edits from it in the past 5 years. all you need is a little media equipment and someone to sit in front of a computer for a while (theres lots of people that do that). you dont get exposure for parks (teenagers) from some huge billboard. you make edits, post pics, put out build blogs. once you get to a certain point you wont even need that... yea boulder has a nice media outlet going on but they dont need it really at this point. build updates are nice though.

some of the biggest parks in the world have no advertising/media connections aside from single page ads in mags and shit like major video companies. why? because the park is so good everyone that goes there (and i mean EVERYONE) films, takes pictures, posts shit on facebook whatever. it just becomes common knowledge that the park is going to be good no matter what; they dont need any kind of media personnel. Just event coordinators. and right now thats where most people in the uppers at blue think their at. theyre wrong.

i sent them at least 25 pages throughout the years; just tripping out at them :) . as far as i know they only read my last one which they forwarded to rice which was the wrong thing to do. although i dont understand that...

they sent it to rice which means they want the park to just be self sustained and do their own thing yet they dont realize how much of a full decision most park operations involve. when we built a new jump/section at keystone the insurance heads would come look at it before it went public. i dont know what danny's relationship was with management but he doesnt really seem to care either. they have one piece of shit cat that runs the park and a bunch of eager diggers.

I say get a new cat and let danny run it then put the best digger in the old one and let the kid learn. start to build up the parks resources a little more. and get a PARK PASS. you cant have the biggest lift on the mountain go right over the park with no control of who goes in it. thats insane.

i really dont know what else to tell them man. either they want to do it or they dont. and they dont.

they have a real nice connection with army navy - although i dont know if theres still a relationship/sponsor there (they drop them?). last time i talked to him he seemed to be in the same position. He was so ambitious about gettin shit done at blue under an army navy banner but management wasnt up to his game apparently. you could throw any idea at that guy for winter events and hed be all about it. now they have rebull...there park is most certainly not up to red bull standars, period.

they really need to get better snow blown to though. theres absolutely no way to grip when the snow gets brick at night when you actually work on the park. they dont blow snow, they pave it. we never used a winch at keystone and the landings were immaculate. all fan blown. even in mid jan/feb when the temp is always below 0. articulation was never a problem either with the knuckles.

when youre paying upwards of 600 dollars for a pass there is no excuse to not look into the concerns of your locals.

get with it blue.

• Like 1

ive tried man. i cant send them anymore essays trying to get them to do something. when you have management so obviously not oriented in park construction it just creates frustration all around. theyre looking for a new web rep or whatever and really thats all the park needs to get exposure. ramano was out a lot with a camera but i only saw 2 edits from it in the past 5 years. all you need is a little media equipment and someone to sit in front of a computer for a while (theres lots of people that do that). you dont get exposure for parks (teenagers) from some huge billboard. you make edits, post pics, put out build blogs. once you get to a certain point you wont even need that... yea boulder has a nice media outlet going on but they dont need it really at this point. build updates are nice though.

some of the biggest parks in the world have no advertising/media connections aside from single page ads in mags and shit like major video companies. why? because the park is so good everyone that goes there (and i mean EVERYONE) films, takes pictures, posts shit on facebook whatever. it just becomes common knowledge that the park is going to be good no matter what; they dont need any kind of media personnel. Just event coordinators. and right now thats where most people in the uppers at blue think their at. theyre wrong.

i sent them at least 25 pages throughout the years; just tripping out at them :) . as far as i know they only read my last one which they forwarded to rice which was the wrong thing to do. although i dont understand that...

they sent it to rice which means they want the park to just be self sustained and do their own thing yet they dont realize how much of a full decision most park operations involve. when we built a new jump/section at keystone the insurance heads would come look at it before it went public. i dont know what danny's relationship was with management but he doesnt really seem to care either. they have one piece of shit cat that runs the park and a bunch of eager diggers.

I say get a new cat and let danny run it then put the best digger in the old one and let the kid learn. start to build up the parks resources a little more. and get a PARK PASS. you cant have the biggest lift on the mountain go right over the park with no control of who goes in it. thats insane.

i really dont know what else to tell them man. either they want to do it or they dont. and they dont.

they have a real nice connection with army navy - although i dont know if theres still a relationship/sponsor there (they drop them?). last time i talked to him he seemed to be in the same position. He was so ambitious about gettin shit done at blue under an army navy banner but management wasnt up to his game apparently. you could throw any idea at that guy for winter events and hed be all about it. now they have rebull...there park is most certainly not up to red bull standars, period.

they really need to get better snow blown to though. theres absolutely no way to grip when the snow gets brick at night when you actually work on the park. they dont blow snow, they pave it. we never used a winch at keystone and the landings were immaculate. all fan blown. even in mid jan/feb when the temp is always below 0. articulation was never a problem either with the knuckles.

when youre paying upwards of 600 dollars for a pass there is no excuse to not look into the concerns of your locals.

get with it blue.

everything you said is spot-on. and i've said it to them before, and almost got my pass pulled for it. this was well before the current management, and i'd like to think they're doing a much better job at paying attention to the input of their customers. i talk to the park manager pretty regularly, and i know he wants to do a good job there and constantly improve, but it's pretty obvious you can only do so much when you're working with ice. they put new guns on sidewinder this year and widened it again, so provided park crew gets the budget they need to work with that trail, there's no reason it shouldn't blow boulder out of the water. jon at boulder definitely knows how to operate a cat, but andy's got his act together too. blue was super fun last year, and i'm hoping it only gets better this season.

This season is going to be fun for sure. There are a lot of subtle changes being made to the way sidewinders going to go in addition to the widening. Plus i've been checking the new rails and boxes and they look super fun. Lots of simple, round things! We all know Andy knows what up, just hoping Blue doesn't drag him down. He has big ambitions and all the capabilities to do it.

• Like 1