jamie pierre died today at alta.

Justin

RIP jamie pierre. he unfortunately died today in a pre-season avy slide while hiking alta. quite a few people were also hurt apparently today from man triggered avys around alta. dont know how many people on here knew his skiing but the dude was incredible. he dropped a 255ft cliff last year:

photo_476aade97ea13.jpg

the resorts weren't officially opened yet so they weren't doing avy control.

utah avalanche service has been doing avy work in LCC for the past week or so, if not more, due to the snowpack right now. now sure if anyone on here has been following it like nerdy me, but it was basically set up perfectly to slide. they got dumped on back in october with two pretty good storms close to each other, so that layer bonded reasonably well, but they got into a freeze/thaw cycle, and then just got dumped on again. the newest snow didn't really bond at all to what was there previously, and the previous layer was weak to begin with. from what i read, slides were getting triggered all over the place in LCC this weekend, and a lot of people got hurt, lost gear, etc.

Sounds like he triggered the avalanche himself? That report is sort of confusing as it lists

People Involved

Caught: 1

Carried: 1

Partly Buried: 1

Injured: 1

Killed: 1

Makes it sound like there were five people involved, but reading it only two are mentioned?

Edited by sibhusky

I remember Jaime having a kid...when he did the Targhee jump he said Jesus was with him...dumbass..just like the pro who died base jumping...

disagree with his choice of religion and how he chose to practice it all you want, but i highly doubt he's leaving it entirely up to god when he was tossing a 200+ footer. i read an article about that cliff when he did it and if i remember correctly, he waited several years for conditions to be right to hit that. it wasn't some spur of the moment deal. he calculated every single aspect of it, as anyone should do when they're approaching new and unfamiliar terrain. slides happen, and it's unfortunate that this one took his life, but it's a calculated risk every one of us takes to step into our skis or snowboard.

• Like 1

Yet another professional skier dead at an early age. (38) He landed on his head on that targhee jump too. He was known for having more balls than brains which can be said for most pro Freeskiers I guess. I feel bad for his family.. R. I. P. Jamie

No, just no

utah avalanche service has been doing avy work in LCC for the past week or so, if not more, due to the snowpack right now. now sure if anyone on here has been following it like nerdy me, but it was basically set up perfectly to slide. they got dumped on back in october with two pretty good storms close to each other, so that layer bonded reasonably well, but they got into a freeze/thaw cycle, and then just got dumped on again. the newest snow didn't really bond at all to what was there previously, and the previous layer was weak to begin with. from what i read, slides were getting triggered all over the place in LCC this weekend, and a lot of people got hurt, lost gear, etc.

I was watching it too because I am a nerd as well.

The real problem is its early season so people aren't respecting that shit because they are all hungry for powder. The pack is shallow so they want to find spots were you aren't going to dry dock which means shaded, upper elevation. Ground facets are easy to spot and people should have known as the temp gradients and a shallow pack are classic conditions......this shit is going to stick around for awhile which is maybe even worse.

RIP JP, you were the man

No, just no

I was watching it too because I am a nerd as well.

The real problem is its early season so people aren't respecting that shit because they are all hungry for powder. The pack is shallow so they want to find spots were you aren't going to dry dock which means shaded, upper elevation. Ground facets are easy to spot and people should have known as the temp gradients and a shallow pack are classic conditions......this shit is going to stick around for awhile which is maybe even worse.

RIP JP, you were the man

i'm hoping the snowpack sorts itself out by january. i don't know enough to know what's truly safe or not, and i really don't wanna get myself involved in any of that mess without the proper gear.

November 13, 2011

— John Clary Davies

Professional skier Jamie Pierre died today in an avalanche at Snowbird, Utah.

The 39-year-old triggered the avalanche at 2:30 p.m. while snowboarding in the South Chute in Gad Valley. The slide swept Pierre off a cliff, while his partner was uninjured. Pierre likely died from trauma, as the avalanche did not bury him. The ski area is closed and not conducting avalanche control until next weekend.

The Utah Avalanche Center reported the depth of the soft slab was 14 inches to 20 inches and ran 150-feet wide. According to the UAC site, neither Pierre nor his partner carried rescue gear or had formal avalanche training.

“Make no doubt that conditions are ripe for someone to get caught in an avalanche,” UAC forecaster Brett Kobernik said on the center's website. “The combination of higher density snow and gusty wind were the perfect combo for slab formation over our preexisting weak early season snow.”

The avalanche was not an isolated event. According to the UAC website, skiers reported 12 human triggered avalanches today. According to the UAC report, the terrain in South Chute is northwest facing and likely held rotten snow from October.

In 2006 Pierre set a record for the highest cliff jump — a 255-foot drop near Grand Targhee — for the TGR film Anomaly. Watch the footage in the above clip. Pierre filmed with TGR from 2000 to 2008. He also has appearances in films by Warren Miller Entertainment, Level 1 Productions, Matchstick Productions and Rage films.

The longtime Salt Lake skier had recently relocated to Big Sky, Montana, where he was going to be an ambassador for Moonlight Basin this season.

Edited by Dan-

i'm hoping the snowpack sorts itself out by january. i don't know enough to know what's truly safe or not, and i really don't wanna get myself involved in any of that mess without the proper gear.

Its so tricky because with lots of snow it tends to work itself out but sometimes it just hangs around for months doing nothing and then bam you got 1/4 mile slides running 10 deep. CO heads tend to know alot more about this as UT doesn't see this kind of depth hoar all the often.

Dude just died and your being an attention whore, real mature.

are you surprised? that's standard for him. all he really cares about is getting attention for some unknown/underlying reason. same goes for all his facebook updates every other hour. 6 years later and it still continues. 30,000+ posts and only 10 worth while.

yeah let's get tickets soon.

it seems strange that someone that's been living as he did for the last years would be out there without the right gear or training.

Sad to see another one gone though, seems to have been quite regular recently.

It's not that he didn't have the right gear or training. He probably had all the avy gear, he was swept over some cliffs. I don't care what your wearing, it's not going to save you from bouncing off of rock. Sketchy snowpacks are tough to read, and it's hard to resist the urge of early season snow.

And with people pushing the envelope as much as they are it shouldn't be a surprise that people are dying.

Edited by Dan-

I feel like dying young is bad. I want to be able to ski when I'm old. I wouldn't want to die skiing.

We all die, there is nothing scary about death. You, I and every other mofo on this random rock have no fucking idea what happens. It could be nipple deep 2% blower with nothing but perfect titties everywhere.

It's not that he didn't have the right gear or training. He probably had all the avy gear, he was swept over some cliffs. I don't care what your wearing, it's not going to save you from bouncing off of rock. Sketchy snowpacks are tough to read, and it's hard to resist the urge of early season snow.

And with people pushing the envelope as much as they are it shouldn't be a surprise that people are dying.

Apparently he was without gear though as you mentioned he was not buried and died from some kind of blunt force injury.

Jamie from everything I know was a family man, a guy who when it came time really chilled out and did the family thing. There a good amount of people out there who aren't capable of doing that sort of thing but he was a real chill, level headed guy not some crazy mofo with a death wish.

Dude died meadow skipping not dropping 200', there are 10-15 people on this site who could go the same way.

Toast you already on my shit list..you are the worst kind of person. Time to unfriendly you from Facebook. You act all friendly when your jibhonks friends aren't around. I wish the people in the hospital knew what an asshole you were.

Toast is pretty damn cool in my book and I'm far from a jibhonk.

I meant no disrespect to Jamie whatsoever, I really just feel bad for the family he left behind. He died doing what he loved to do and he could've died yesterday in a car accident on the way to the mountain just as easily I guess.

I just hate to see these icons in the industry keep dying in droves year after year.... it's a dangerous sport, but smarter decisions can be made.

Especially when there is a high avalanche risk, an avalung, beacon, probe, etc.. wasn't going to save him but his death was in fact due to trauma he received because of the slide.

The whole thing just sucks.....

• Like 1

I thought the slope was 40 degrees and there was extreme avalanche danger..he had a death wish. TGR mags make him out to be a saint.

i've skied gad valley. it's not beginner terrain by any means, but it's certainly not the sketchiest thing i've ever skied. that whole area is dangerous if you aren't familiar with it or hit it in the wrong conditions. we got cliffed out at bird two years ago and luckily realized it before things went really wrong, really quickly.

some dude popped his hip out too.

i know someone who did that once...

i've skied gad valley. it's not beginner terrain by any means, but it's certainly not the sketchiest thing i've ever skied. that whole area is dangerous if you aren't familiar with it or hit it in the wrong conditions. we got cliffed out at bird two years ago and luckily realized it before things went really wrong, really quickly.

that was scary as hell.

especially when we looked back uphill at what it actually was...