ccmc tr 1/4 - 1/6

phillycore

I made the trek from my work at noon after taking a half day to crozer chester medical center. It was a brisk 29 degrees but I was on a mission. Checked the car into the parking garage and shuffled down to outpatient registration to get my xray done. Quick and painless I was in and out within 30 minutes and didn't even have to pay for parking. I then went home for lunch which was leftover lasagna and I cleaned up the mess that my boys made before they left for school. I then went back to crozer for what was supposed to be the highlight of my day. I was finally going to be pain free after living with this kidney stent for the past few weeks since my lithotrpsy procedure back before xmas. Well, I knew it was going to be a little bit rough coming out but I had no idea exactly how bad it was going to get. Stop reading now if you don't want to be grossed out.......... This stent which was placed under anesthesia in the operating room between my bladder and my kidney. It is not removed under anesthesia however. The way they remove it is by numbing the penis with a topical lidocaine then they jam a long tube with a camera attached to it through the ureter and up through until they can locate the stent. They then fish this tube around until the doctor can grab it and yank it out. During this process they also fill you bladder with what I guess is water from the penis upwards. No big deal right, it'll all be over in a minute or two. Ummmm, yeah NO! In my case the first attempt was an epic yard sale. The numbing agent went on and lets just say that it didn't take effect. The tube went in, there was a loud yelp and then it came back out. The doctor suggested that we might have had to attempt it the next day instead and that if he still couldn't remove it then I'd need to have it scheduled under anesthesia later on. Trust me as good as having it removed under anesthesia sounded I needed that stent out. Living with it in was incredibly painful. It forces you to urinate every 30-40 minutes nonstop morning, noon, night, wakes you up from dead sleep etc. That would be bad enough but every time you urinate it feels like someone is twisting a corkscrew into your kidney. If you try to stop the flow it feels like they yank back on it, and if you try to push it quickly it feels like the corkscrew goes in faster. Ok, now that I pleaded with him to try again we start the process over... I try to remain as calm as possible and breath in and out deeply and slowly. It hurt like fucking hell. I felt that tube the whole way and felt like a goldfish swimming inside of me until he clipped onto the stent. Finally he got it out. The doctor said that I was by far the most uncomfortable stent removal he's ever had to do and that he felt like we needed to hug or something after that ordeal. I chuckled and yes I was in tears after the whole thing. So I go to urinate because my bladder was filled with the water or whatever... it burned like hell but it was nothing compared to what I just went through. I checked out, got my car and started driving home. That's when my bladder and kidney started spasming really bad. Think of the absolute worst muscle cramp imaginable coming from inside you. I took two percoset and tried to lay down to sleep it off. Wasn't happening, it just kept getting worse. By 4:30 I was in complete agony, so I tried getting warm shower... no dice, just tried everything imaginable to get some sort or relief. It just kept getting worse. My wife called the urologist at 6 and they called back around 7 or so and said to go to the emergency room. By this point I was in so much pain I had thrown up everything that was in my stomach and I was dry heaving from all the pain. The pain was now in my kidney, my lower abdominal section as well as my groin. The worst pain ever. My wife drove me to the er as I pretty much begged to just die so that the pain would end. By 10 I was drugged up on torredal and had another ct scan. The ct scan showed that I had 3 more 3mm stones which must've came out into the ureter and got lodged in between my kidney and bladder. So I started feeling pain again and they admitted me and switched me over to diloudin or something. at 3am I was in a room and comfortable. At that point the pain was gone and by morning I was able to eat breakfast. The urologist assistant came in to see me and they wanted to give me surgery to remove the 3 stones. Unfortunately the hospital wasn't aware of this and fed me which meant that I had to wait until today to get the surgery. In the meantime they loaded me with fluids and flomax so I'd urinate a lot. At 5:30 this am I was able to pass one of the stones without pain medication. So now they are trying to send me home to pass the rest assuming my kidney and blood work comes out clean. If I need to get the surgery it means I need another stent..... the saga continues.....

post-1572-0-24244700-1325861335_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillycore

FWIW...Just to keep everyone up to date on my TR... I'm home now. I actually got home around noon, then went and retrieved my insurance information from my wife. Since I was half way there I picked up my skis at the ski bum which were remounted, and then dropped off my perscriptions at the cvs, and got some lunch. I was doing really good all day but I'm starting to feel the pain coming back which hopefully just means that one or both of the remaining stones is moving on out and I'm really hoping that it will subside and be quick.... I REALLY just need a break at this point....

As far as tickets go.... (I don't recommend going there the route I did by any stretch of imagination....)

I don't have an exact amount, but I get a "discounted" rate through Aetna. Unfortunately my discount isn't as good as it used to be prior to January 1st 2012 where it would've been $10 for the x-ray, $10 for the stent removal, and $50 for the emergency room ride. Now it's roughly going to be in the $2300-4600 range which I "think" will cover my personal out of pocket maximum for the remainder of the year. So if I feel the need to return for even more excitement it should be covered under my newly purchased season pass.

I was going to try skiing tomorrow but after the past 2 hours breathing through this shit again and realizing that I'm probably far from over... it's probably best that I just keep flooding myself and staying in close proximity of my bed. I am extremely thankful that the percoset seems to have worked for now because around 6pm I was damn close to going back to the hospital. This is truly hell, and I pray that noone I know ever has to endure even half of this. After 2 hernia surgeries, a vasectomy, a torn mcl, etc etc I thought that I knew what severe pain was.... I surely did not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sorry to even post about the whole thing but honestly it's the one thing that makes me feel like I can express the agony I've been going through. So you guys are like my damn pain management therapists..... Lol

PC...you going to be able to go on your trip?

My boss has been a damn Godsend in that regard.... he's allowed me to take all the time off I had to unpaid so that I could retain my vacation hours. I owe that man a lot assuming that I can work all this through by then. I'm not planning on Cancelling shit unless I absolutely have to. I've got others counting on me being there and I want to be there. It's just a question on how long these stones hang on. I'm literally drinking gallons of water every day and now I'm on a medication that shrinks my prostate and allows me to piss like a garden hose every 30 minutes. Nobody wants this over with physically and mentally more than I do....

I am extremely thankful that the percoset seems to have worked for now because around 6pm I was damn close to going back to the hospital. This is truly hell, and I pray that noone I know ever has to endure even half of this. After 2 hernia surgeries, a vasectomy, a torn mcl, etc etc I thought that I knew what severe pain was.... I surely did not by any stretch of the imagination.

I had kidney stones in college: it was the worst pain I ever had to endure...they gave me torridol (sp?). that stuff was wonderful. hang in there, it will get better!

I could've filled a halloween sized box of nerds full of rocks the past two days..... Hopefully I'm almost done with this shit!!!

Ping pong....sing a song.....I'm peeing rocks out my ding dong.

Gotta laugh cause it's all I gotz..... Where's the snow at, I'm Just about ready to slay that shit MUFUGGAH!! Da Core iz almost back in action son!!

Welcome to my world a few years ago. When it came time for stent removal and the Doc thought he was gonna do it in the office, I laughed at him and made him schedule anesthesia. Luckily, he was able to schedule it within about a week. Yeah, snake some object outta my peehole with a dab of lidocaine. F THAT!!! Bad news: I think I'm rockin another stone, been getting that sensation again.

• Like 1

I could've filled a halloween sized box of nerds full of rocks the past two days..... Hopefully I'm almost done with this shit!!!

Ping pong....sing a song.....I'm peeing rocks out my ding dong.

Gotta laugh cause it's all I gotz..... Where's the snow at, I'm Just about ready to slay that shit MUFUGGAH!! Da Core iz almost back in action son!!

starting early next week the snow is rolling in north of slc, from what i can see.

• Like 3