Mogul Clinics

Johnny Style

I was in the lodge today and saw advertisements for Blue's mogul clinics posted all over the building. I never knew these existed.

Is this the first year? If not, has anybody participated before?

They are offering Adult (beginner, intermediate, advanced) clinics and a Junior mogul program. Information can be found on Blue's website but it was hard to find so here is the link: http://www.skibluemt.com/learn/classes-workshops/

I am thinking about participating in one of the clinics. It's a nice way to spend a Sunday. I get to show up late and miss GSS in the morning, take a clinic till three, hop in the NASTAR course until four, drive home and still watch NFL playoff football in front of a crackling fire.

Before jibhonks, mogul skiers were considered the freestyle skiers. In fact, the New Canadian Air Force (they created the Newschool style of skiing for you youngsters out there) consisted of members of the Canadian mogul team, including their coach and "Godfather" of the Newschoolers movement Mike Douglas. I'm talking J.F. Cusson, Vinnie Dorian, J.P. Auclair, Philou Poirier, Shane Szocs, etc. Go watch MSPs Ski Movie I and Ski Movie II for some lessons. Even guys like Tanner Hall and Simon Dumont were mogul skiers. Brad Holmes and Shane McKonkey were on the same Oakley mogul team in the 90s.

Glen Plake would never have been in a ski film if it hadn't been for his mogul credentials. He ripped down a mogul course on 225cm DH skis.

I know what you are thinking..."I hate moguls, they are too hard." Well here is the opportunity to learn how to ski them and impress your friends and family. I'll just say it, you are not a real skier unless you can ski moguls. Every mountain has moguls and they should not be avoided any longer.

I know what else you are thinking..."I haven't even skied yet this year and you want me to show up on Sunday and start skiing moguls?" Guess what, nobody has skied yet, so you are not at any disadvantage. I would bet that the first day is nothing but instruction and drills outside of the moguls anyway.

As Glen Plake always says...

PlakeInvolved_zpsa4c9ec0d.jpg

• Like 6

I haven't heard "New Canadian Airforce" in forever! Alot of great old skiers that started in the bumps before the park! Im not completely sure i know who is teaching the bump clinics. If it is who i think it is they are great skiers, with knowledge of that side of sport. How much is it? I mean just trying to tag along with the bump heads could be an easier way to learn them. Also if taught correctly they will not abuse your body as badly as most think. I ski bumps fast and from my ribs down is destroyed from years of biking/skiing abuse. I don't really feel anymore damaged then normal. Do you ski bumps at all yet or want to sharpen your skills?

I haven't heard "New Canadian Airforce" in forever! Alot of great old skiers that started in the bumps before the park! Im not completely sure i know who is teaching the bump clinics. If it is who i think it is they are great skiers, with knowledge of that side of sport. How much is it? I mean just trying to tag along with the bump heads could be an easier way to learn them. Also if taught correctly they will not abuse your body as badly as most think. I ski bumps fast and from my ribs down is destroyed from years of biking/skiing abuse. I don't really feel anymore damaged then normal. Do you ski bumps at all yet or want to sharpen your skills?

sharpen my skills...i want to be great at everything i do...bothers me that I can't keep up with gahskier :) i'm serviceable enough in the bumps that i can stay hot on mbike's heels and yell at him to pick up the pace :ph34r:

• Like 2

Did you mean to type Saturday? I wonder who's teaching...I think Mbike said his son joined the junior bump team...

My goal is to improve my bump skiing this year...the plan? Ski with Chris and Flyin Johnny. It worked for Gahskier.

The posters in the Lodge said Sunday, or at least that is what I thought. The junior program was Saturday. The website says Satruday but the 6th is a Sunday. I guess I need to figure this one out first.

They will just love trying to break me of my 80s old school style. I'm not lying when I say that I learned everything I know about mogul skiing from watching Harkin Banks in Hot Dog...The Movie. Those were the days when a twister spread would win you a competition.

misc1984HotDogTheMovie001_zpse2b0f2dc.gi

• Like 3

I think they've had the clinics before but are taking it to new level this year. As we saw New Year's Day they're really getting the bump seeding/grooming dialed in! Niko is signed up for the junior session and is looking forward to it. I'd love to do it but need to save some legs for Sunday night hockey. Hopefully the kid will give the old man some tips. Greg straub is running it and he can rip 'em so it should be good!

I think they had this last year too, I considered doing it but can't commit to the exact days. I'm thinking maybe one solid lesson followed by lots of practice on my own. Time to step it up though. I'd like to go from navigating the bumps to pounding them.

This is not the first season for the clinic.

Here you go!!!!

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/mogul-technique-four-different-ways-ski-mogul-run

i've tried some of those bumps for boomers techniques...def helped me with visualizing the mogul field and coming up with a plan of attack. def still need tons of practice, lol....

These classes have been going on for at least the last 5 years (as long as I have been at Blue). My sons and I are relatively new skiers so we took the intro to bumps class years ago. Tim was the instructor then and very good teacher (he was a judge at the bumps comp the last two years). Last year, a new instuctor - Greg - took over. Don't know his last name. (edit: straub - just read your post Mike, thx!) I chatted with Greg a few times on barneys last year, nice guy and great bumper. Been meaning to sign up for the advanced clinic for the last two years but with traveling/other $hit always got in the way. Anyhow, this year since I am skipping the race clinic anyway I decided to sign up for the advanced bumps.(missed the ealy bird special by a week...).

From what I have observed Greg will assess the skills you bring to the table and offer tips/corrections. Again this is just from casual observation waiting my turn to drop into barneys. Looking forward to it!

Regarding timimg - nice QC Blue (not!). I suspect the classes will be Saturdays but when I called the ski school, the girl could not confirm. I got a call into the person (at least they told me it was) organizing these clinics - Tina Buckley x-1224. If I hear back from her before the weekend I'll let you know whats up. I plan on being there both Sat and Sun anyway, but it would be nice to know beforehand.

Edited by tarponhead

I took notice to this on the first opening day, I have really considered taking a bump clinic over the years but never have. Im still considering going for it, the question is intro or advanced......

inro is for "honest to God never skied a bump before" crew. Take the advanced. Whole range of abilities will be there. Trust me, I'll be the worst by far

This is cool, if not for the skiing than for the mention of the New canadian air force....ohh JF where are you after the sunice comeback ? Probably sleeping

Bumps were never my thing nor will they ever be, however good to those that enjoy them and golf clap to Blue for doing a clinic.

• Like 1

glad to see the bump love! hey tarponhead we need to make some turns this year

ya man!

I emailed greg, adult clinics are sundays

Intro to bumps is on Sundays from 10:00 to 12:00

Advanced bumps is on Sundays from 1:00 to 3:00

i can put you in touch with him if anyone has nay other questions

now thats getting the job done, thx!