The official 2013 / 2014 Ski Season Thread

RidgeRacer

• 2 weeks later...

Bring on the obligatory thread about the Ski Magazine's rankings (which I actually voted for this year) and how we all think those rankings suck.

In fact here they are...east anyway.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/galleries/2014-best-ski-resorts-east?lnk=rss&loc=homepage

1 - Smugglers

2 - Sugarloaf

3 - Jay

4 - Tremblant

5 - Holiday Valley

6 - Stowe

7 - Sugarbush

8 - Killington

9 - Bretton Woods

10 - Whiteface

11- Sunday River

12 - Loon

13 - Okemo

14 - Saddleback

15 - Stratton

16 - Mt Snow

17 - Cannon

18 - Waterville Valley

19- Gore

20 - Wildcat

Edited by Ridge Racer
  • Like 2

Hah smugglers lol they hardly have snowmaking and lifts are slow as molasses.

I'm writing up a budget for the next few months. In it is lots of new gear!!! Gonna finally get a new helmet and ski pants. I've had the same helmet 8 years and only two pairs of ski pants in that time. Jacket as well. Night skiing goggles and random jawns. New pow skis a little later this fall n

U train for skiing? I just get high and point em downhill.

That's when whitefish mountain resort opens

Your blowers suck. Yes, I train for skiing. It's fantastic and I feel great. Never felt better in fact.

13 days, 8 hours is the countdown to snowmaking on Loveland's site. Bring on the obligatory thread about the Ski Magazine's rankings (which I actually voted for this year) and how we all think those rankings suck.

I never know where to look online for actual temps at the mountain since Georgetown is always significantly warmer, but even if you adjust those temps downward a little, there's nothing close to snowmaking temps in the next 10 days.

I'm always game for the start of snowmaking, but it's not looking promising.

why so late?

I agree. But, what actually used to happen was they'd try to open on Thanksgiving, they'd use up a ton of their money and water ration (this is the West) on doing it. They'd get mediocre to good stuff on part of the mountain. People would come on Thanksgiving weekend, then not come again until place was 100% and their Christmas shopping was done. After all, who's skiing in early December? Not the people dropping big bucks on airfare and hotel. The payoff monetarily just wasn't there, PLUS the water ration meant that they'd jeopardized their future ability to patch things later during the height of the season. So, even our famous La Nina season, where they opened with 100%, and clearly could have opened a week sooner, they didn't. Opening day is 12/7.

Edited by sibhusky

Smuggs dropped over a million in snowmaking improvements which was up and running for the season last year.

Does it surprise you that Doug is hating on a mountain with marginal snowmaking and slow lifts? Haters gonna hate. They've relied on natural so long, it just takes them a little longer.

Chilly up there this morning Moe?

So, the winner of the Blow for Show contest is in. Your winner is...

Bretton Woods

http://brettonwoods.com/activities/photos_and_cams/enlarge/2394

• Like 1

Does it surprise you that Doug is hating on a mountain with marginal snowmaking and slow lifts? Haters gonna hate. They've relied on natural so long, it just takes them a little longer.

Chilly up there this morning Moe?

So, the winner of the Blow for Show contest is in. Your winner is...

Bretton Woods

http://brettonwoods.com/activities/photos_and_cams/enlarge/2394

STOKE MARKET IS RISING!!!!!!

• Like 1

Here are numbers 11 through 30 for the west per Ski Mag. The top ten arent posted until tomorrow. So far the list is shit but hey it get's us thinking about skiing so it's all good. .

30 - Brighton

29 - Snowbasin

28 - Solitude

27 - Alta

26 - Copper

25 - Northstar

24 - Squaw

23 - Keystone

22 - Heavenly

21 - Whitefish

20 - Aspen Highlands

19 - Taos

18 - Winter Park

17 - Snowbird

16 - Breck

15 - C Butte

14 - Mammoth

13 - Aspen Mt.

12 - Big Sky

11 - Beaver Creek

Here are numbers 11 through 30 for the west per Ski Mag. The top ten arent posted until tomorrow. So far the list is shit but hey it get's us thinking about skiing so it's all good. .

30 - Brighton

29 - Snowbasin

28 - Solitude

27 - Alta

26 - Copper

25 - Northstar

24 - Squaw

23 - Keystone

22 - Heavenly

21 - Whitefish

20 - Aspen Highlands

19 - Taos

18 - Winter Park

17 - Snowbird

16 - Breck

15 - C Butte

14 - Mammoth

13 - Aspen Mt.

12 - Big Sky

11 - Beaver Creek

Oh yeah, Beaver Creek is way better than Highlands, Squaw, Snowbird and Taos.