12/19/17 - Warmer yet, bit 'o drizzle

indiggio

I'm back from another fun day at Blue the true mountain.  Arrived in the lower lot around 8:15am and a 34' temperature under mostly cloudy skies.   It was spritzing most of the ride up, but nothing worth putting on the wipers.   Nobody else was in the house as of yet, but waved to Rodney as he turned the corner.

First run down Paradise was super-fast snow, due to the temps being just low enough for the snow to set up.  The place was virtually empty at this point and we had the run to ourselves.
Next run was down Lazy, which was also fast, but noticed a number of skid marks appearing at various points along the trail.  Went over Falls, but the lip just isn't there to catch any air.

Went over to Main Street to check out the bumps which were left as-is from yesterday.  Made the rest of the run down the other side, which was super-fast and very smooth.

Made a run down Challenge which was more of the same, soft and fast.  There were some grooming ruts that had to be avoided on the second half, but overall was very smooth.
Even running Challenge fast, the Falls lip just isn't there and with a slight Northwest wind, I still couldn't get any air.

Tarponhead arrived and we repeated the above a few times as the cloud cover kept temps lower than expected.  We broke for some lunch around 12ish and shortly thereafter the sun started coming out and temps began to rise, so we made our way over to the bumps.
By this time, the bumps softened up enough to make them quite enjoyable and we lapped them a number of times.  Unfortunately the sun sets pretty quick and both lines disappear into the shade within a run, so we finished with a couple more laps and beers in the lot.

Just another overall great day of skiing at Blue.

• Like 2

I see you er day. 

Talked with tarpon a lil bit. Was doing my own thing as usual i guess so didnt see anybody else all morning. Got some kid poles and did some park stuff. Good day. Ill be out thur fri prob

We must be on the same schedule cause a Friday is when I will be back also.

Indiggio and I saw (then got passed by her) and then rode up with a rippin college girl (no poles) who was pissed because she could not break 60 mph on the soft snow. She’d just carve and accelerate.

Freakin great day. Day 2 on the bumps and my legs feel it

• Like 1

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun evening session at Blue mountain the true mountain. 22 and the bottom of 145 were backed up according to google maps and it said 58 minutes for that Root so I took back ways between 309 and 145 and popped out near Sheetz and it took about 40 minutes amid heavy pre holiday traffic and I arrived at the lower lot at 6:47PM. It was in the low 40s and there were barely any cars in the lot. In the house were Atomic Jeff, Ryan, Toast and Justo.  

First run was right into the bumps..they were fast and getting big and I took my first fall of the season when I got a little out of control.  Lower Main Street was spring snow and semi smooth..Paradise was really nice and smooth for night time due to light crowds..lazy mile was also pretty good although not as smooth as paradise and one run was a bit of crazy weaving the noodle.  I did the bumps two more times and did them a bit better but still just getting back into it. It's not often you get to ski spring bumps at night time in mid December.  

I only skied challenge once.  It was pretty rough it looked like there was race training on it earlier by all the ruts. Ended the session with more Paradise and lazy mile and hungout in the lot for about 20 minutes and saw a few big truck diesal nuts..had a beer and made it home in just over 30 minutes with a drunk driver in front of me on blue mountain drive. Didn't stop at Sheetz didn't hit Mickey dees went straight home.    song of the night was MA$E and P diddy Bad Boys..I'll be back out Thursday night..anybody else??

Didn't see anyone up there, put in a short session. Skied Burma, Paradise, stopped to change my boots because the new (to me) boots had me so I couldn't feel my feet. Came back out and skied Vista-Midway-Lower main, then Lazy to Falls, Challenge and finished with a full Main Street run.

Snow was soft and awesome, probably wouldn't have liked it so much if it were busier, but enjoyed the conditions on every run. Rotd may have been Paradise for the best snow, Burma had great snow too. Pops made his first Challenge run and acquitted himself nicely. 

Plan is for a Thursday night return

Edited by enjoralas

6 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Taking  personal day tomorrow to meet up with a couple of girlfriends. I'll be there early, they'll show up around 10. 

Beige pants, black helmet, shitty skills,  and this jacket. Sorry the picture is so massive:

strafe_cloudninejkt_olive.thumb.jpg.6123ef01d37b914a21fd6f44aef1cbcc.jpg

I'll be there today, as well. Black jacket, blue pants. Moderate skills. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun evening session at Blue mountain the true mountain. 22 and the bottom of 145 were backed up according to google maps and it said 58 minutes for that Root so I took back ways between 309 and 145 and popped out near Sheetz and it took about 40 minutes amid heavy pre holiday traffic and I arrived at the lower lot at 6:47PM. It was in the low 40s and there were barely any cars in the lot. In the house were Atomic Jeff, Ryan, Toast and Justo.  

First run was right into the bumps..they were fast and getting big and I took my first fall of the season when I got a little out of control.  Lower Main Street was spring snow and semi smooth..Paradise was really nice and smooth for night time due to light crowds..lazy mile was also pretty good although not as smooth as paradise and one run was a bit of crazy weaving the noodle.  I did the bumps two more times and did them a bit better but still just getting back into it. It's not often you get to ski spring bumps at night time in mid December.  

I only skied challenge once.  It was pretty rough it looked like there was race training on it earlier by all the ruts. Ended the session with more Paradise and lazy mile and hungout in the lot for about 20 minutes and saw a few big truck diesal nuts..had a beer and made it home in just over 30 minutes with a drunk driver in front of me on blue mountain drive. Didn't stop at Sheetz didn't hit Mickey dees went straight home.    song of the night was MA$E and P diddy Bad Boys..I'll be back out Thursday night..anybody else??

Theres a distinct possibility I will be there Thursday night.

28 minutes ago, eaf said:

Come today or I'll use all the snow up ;) If Lazy Mile already starts getting bare spots, I'll leave you with nothing.

I can't come today. Tomorrow works better for me. The temperatures are much more favorable today, and they'll groom all the bare spots I guess.

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Blue is saying packed powder conditions today.  How is that possible..they must have used the fluffer attachment on the groomers today. 

False advertising! If I drive all the way up there and there's no packed powder, I'm asking for a refund.

Disclaimer: just kidding (in case I get flamed). 

Edited by saltyant

29 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Will be back to icy death lol..ice is nice..speed is good..dress like an astronaut..JADIP

Say hi to Robert2 for me.

I am strongly considering finally purchasing Volkl RTMs this weekend - probably Saturday since it's going to rain non-stop and it will be a boring day.

• Like 1

Just now, momskeeztoo said:

Got out on the snow at 9. Was hoping the sun would come out and soften things up. No such luck. It's an icey sheet of death with scattered ice chunks. 😡

Could have predicted that. It didn't get close to freezing until early this morning after they groomed. Hopefully it gets better, but that is unlikely.