12/20/17 - Ice, ice, baby...

indiggio

38 minutes ago, eaf said:

And it's 5, and it's hard again. Saltyant, you'll be able to break you speed record tomorrow hands down.

I don't know, man, speeding on ice sounds dangerous. What if a deer runs out in front of me and I can't stop because my edges don't grip the ice? I think the shop sharpened them when I took them for a tune-up, but I'm not sure. I've been living dangerously as it is, because I did not get a binding test this year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

I hate when that happens

At my home mountain, [ski resort name redacted due to incorrect thread], there is a serious deer problem. When I was bombing Marjie's the other day, I was somewhat concerned that one would run across the bottom of the piste and I would be toast. Fortunately I made it out unscathed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, saltyant said:

The high in Palmerton was 48 today. Didn't that help to soften it up?

22 minutes ago, saltyant said:

The high in Palmerton was 48 today. Didn't that help to soften it up?

I don't believe that. It only hit 45 in Allentown and Eaf said it was starting to soften a little early afternoon. With the low sun angle and north facing mountain low 40s(im guessing mainly upper 30s on the mountain) with little sunshine doesn't do much.  If it was March it would be an entirely different story. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

At my home mountain, [ski resort name redacted due to incorrect thread], there is a serious deer problem. When I was bombing Marjie's the other day, I was somewhat concerned that one would run across the bottom of the piste and I would be toast. Fortunately I made it out unscathed.

You wouldn't be toast the deer would be toast and you know if you are skiing too fast to avoid a deer or person then you are out of control and for that I'll have to give you four giant Dings....Ding Ding Ding Ding

wait why would you be Toast..that's just weird. There's only one Toast lol 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You wouldn't be toast the deer would be toast and you know if you are skiing too fast to avoid a deer or person then you are out of control and for that I'll have to give you four giant Dings....Ding Ding Ding Ding

Ok. So if I'm going 50+ mph I should be able to stop in time if a deer jumps out? Why does that warrant four dings instead of one... or none??

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Ok. So if I'm going 50+ mph I should be able to stop in time if a deer jumps out? Why does that warrant four dings instead of one... or none??

You know I could have just given you a strike two but I don't want to enable your reckless behavior.  You don't have to stop for the deer just ski around it..downhill skier/rider or wildlife has the right of way. Remember that. Wait till you come to Jackson hole with us. There are moose on the slopes. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You know I could have just given you a strike two but I don't want to enable your reckless behavior.  You don't have to stop for the deer just ski around it..downhill skier/rider or wildlife has the right of way. Remember that. Wait till you come to Jackson hole with us. There are moose on the slopes. 

Strike two? I don't even get a strike one? I don't consider it "reckless behavior" because I am in complete control at all times. Do the moose bite or eat skiers like the monster in SkiFree?

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Strike two? I don't even get a strike one? I don't consider it "reckless behavior" because I am in complete control at all times. Do the moose bite or eat skiers like the monster in SkiFree?

Moose are Herbivores they only eat plants but due to their enormous size and speed they can easily kill somebody.  

7 hours ago, indiggio said:

Just got back from a not real fun morning session at Blue.  Cresting the ridge, the temp was 39' and 37' as I rolled into the lot around 8:15am with nobody else in sight.

Walking out to the lift, the slow, wet snow of yesterday had set up hard, even though the temps aren't that cold.

As I rode up the 6, a boarder patroller was coming down Challenge and I could hear the expected conditions.
I took a run down Paradise, which had very hard cord but also a tilled area chock full of marbles.  It was either fight through them or slide on the ice
Next run down Lazy was pretty much identical to Paradise.

Over on Main, the bumps were icebergs, so I didn't even bother venturing into them.   The main section of Main street was total frozen cord.

Challenge was also icy hard and rocket fast.  That girl from yesterday would have easily broke her speed goal today.

I was looking out for Mom and SallyCat all morning, but I didn't see either before bugging out around 11am.

Unless you like ice skating, today was a far cry from the past two.   Hopefully it's cold enough tonight and tomorrow for them to blow some snow.

Also, at the base, it sure smelled like the BBQ truck was cooking up some meat as the aroma was wafting past much like when the Waffle Hut is going.

Think I saw SallyCat couple of times. She was going down the hill, and I was on the lift. Left around 1230. Also left my skis there to get sharpened. I guess lots of others wanted their stuff sharpened. Hour wait! I'll be back tomorrow am. Have to leave by 1230. Getting some work done on my car. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

I don't know, man, speeding on ice sounds dangerous. What if a deer runs out in front of me and I can't stop because my edges don't grip the ice? I think the shop sharpened them when I took them for a tune-up, but I'm not sure. I've been living dangerously as it is, because I did not get a binding test this year.

Don't fret, we'll carry you down like a fallen soldier. Hell, I may come again just to salute the effort. One more time before the rain and crowds settle in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1