01/01 - Brutally cold, but nice in every other way

eaf

It was -3F outside and 3 people in the lodge at opening. I'm not kidding. Have never seen the mountain so empty. It's at 30% capacity even now, and I predict that it will stay like this until the very closing today.

Snow is perfect. Fresh corduroy, no ice, got to lay my own tracks. Problem is, I have to run to the lodge every hour or so and deice. Need to buy the warmest gloves and do something about feet. They just go cold in boots all the time. Any suggestions?

And I screwed up with wax again, but the coldest I have is CH4, so really couldn't do anything about it. Perhaps I should buy that powder additive and stick to universal waxes from now on. Got to be more flexible.

Great day! Mountain is 100% open now, I just keep going up and down at my own pace never waiting for lifts, never bothered by others.

A lot of the PASRs use boot heaters..I don't know the brand today I was wiggling my toes on the lift rides if I remembered. You create a lot of wind chill going 50+ mph..the runs were colder than lift lines..this is that squeaky slow snow.  My mantras haven't been waxed since last season and I was going fast enough..the snow is so grippy when this cold it's so easy to skate uphill.  I skates from the top of the six pack towards the quad on that 6% pitch to warm up and it worked. 

2 hours ago, eaf said:

It was -3F outside and 3 people in the lodge at opening. I'm not kidding. Have never seen the mountain so empty. It's at 30% capacity even now, and I predict that it will stay like this until the very closing today.

Snow is perfect. Fresh corduroy, no ice, got to lay my own tracks. Problem is, I have to run to the lodge every hour or so and deice. Need to buy the warmest gloves and do something about feet. They just go cold in boots all the time. Any suggestions?

And I screwed up with wax again, but the coldest I have is CH4, so really couldn't do anything about it. Perhaps I should buy that powder additive and stick to universal waxes from now on. Got to be more flexible.

Great day! Mountain is 100% open now, I just keep going up and down at my own pace never waiting for lifts, never bothered by others

Are you still here eaf? Im in the lodge

4 hours ago, eaf said:

Great day! Mountain is 100% open now, I just keep going up and down at my own pace never waiting for lifts, never bothered by others.

Good doing runs with you eaf. I still can't believe we were sitting next to each other at the lodge, out of all the places to sit.

5 hours ago, eaf said:

Problem is, I have to run to the lodge every hour or so and deice. Need to buy the warmest gloves and do something about feet. They just go cold in boots all the time. Any suggestions?

Hottronics FTW. No reason to look any further, or start a new thread that goes for 10 pages, but really goes no where. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Hottronics FTW. No reason to look any further, or start a new thread that goes for 10 pages, but really goes no where. 

Agreed. A lot of us use Hestra gloves, but they aren’t warm enough for everyone. 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

???

Well, clearly the stream of people who can describe their food preferences and various misfortunes so vividly has run dry, and it's getting a little bit boring here. For me twice as boring because I was first getting a laugh reading your reports and then a kick out of the board's reaction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How was Floyds

I'm wondering, why is Floyd so popular? Yeah it's the steepest run after the Elevator, but it's also soooo short, and then the level part of it is soooo long. You pass the steepness in a blink of an eye and then have to do cross-country. It's worse than the River Shot where you can generally get to the lift w/o pushing 'cause it's closer. And Floyd was in worse shape as well. They didn't fully groom it, so it was full of hard bumps and holes, all in the shade.

Hold on. Socks for $250?? Holy cow! How are they compared to those chemical toe heaters that you stick to the bottom of your regular sock?

http://www.skiessentials.com/hotronic-footwarmer-power-plus-s4-custom-kit.html?gdffi=08102d81de8e4e388c6b773f67c6e128&gdfms=679E38669BA54AF8AB36B9E71EE75AA1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1afSBRD2ARIsAEvBsNkREUCCQqesZKhnsRg2wJEdbVdHeB5BBflB5i1OEp8Uz2KcpaKItkkaAuLfEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, eaf said:

I'm wondering, why is Floyd so popular? Yeah it's the steepest run after the Elevator, but it's also soooo short, and then the level part of it is soooo long. You pass the steepness in a blink of an eye and then have to do cross-country. It's worse than the River Shot where you can generally get to the lift w/o pushing 'cause it's closer. And Floyd was in worse shape as well. They didn't fully groom it, so it was full of hard bumps and holes, all in the shade.

A steep before a flat is great because you can work on your bullet tuck to carry your speed..Floyds is the best run at JF 100% if the elevator isn't open 

13 minutes ago, eaf said:

Hold on. Socks for $250?? Holy cow! How are they compared to those chemical toe heaters that you stick to the bottom of your regular sock?

$250 is a bargain if it keeps you on the slopes longer.  If it is consistently this cold around here I'm gonna get them. My feet were ice cubes in two hours today