Whiteface Mountain, NY

Zonked

6 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

This is turning out to be a nice trip for you salty. I'll tune in and give you likes, maybe even loves.

Thanks Ridge, I guess you changed your mind and will read my Groomer thread. I'll certainly ski many ungroomed pistes if the snow is good, but not sure about doing glades there. 

Booked the Trout hotel you told me about, so I'll relax Friday evening instead of driving home and enjoy the ambiance

Thanks Ridge, I guess you changed your mind and will read my Groomer thread. I'll certainly ski many ungroomed pistes if the snow is good, but not sure about doing glades there. 
Booked the Trout hotel you told me about, so I'll relax Friday evening instead of driving home and enjoy the ambiance

Let me know how the hungry trout place is. Only thing that ever kept me from booking there was that it's on wilmington and not LP. Place looks awesome though.
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Let me know how the hungry trout place is. Only thing that ever kept me from booking there was that it's on wilmington and not LP. Place looks awesome though.

Looks like it has a restaurant so I'll have no need to go into town after skiing which'll be nice if there's a blizzard. Plus it's in a nice secluded spot and I rode past it on my bike several times in September. Costs more than Cobble Lodge but most hotels in LP have very high rates for Friday night.

6 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Looks like it has a restaurant so I'll have no need to go into town after skiing which'll be nice if there's a blizzard. Plus it's in a nice secluded spot and I rode past it on my bike several times in September. Costs more than Cobble Lodge but most hotels in LP have very high rates for Friday night.

Is there supposed to be a snowstorm up there next week?

On 1/27/2021 at 5:36 PM, saltyant said:

I think this is the first time I made top 5 for the month without being on a ski trip. I think most of the likes I got were from JFDan.

Untitled.png.ba33e51380eb3df8c24ee7276b8da7aa.png

Woah! I was in the top 5?! Besides my Utah ski posts, I don’t post that much.

what are the green plus signs about?

Forecast at Lake Placid looking a little better tomorrow night for my drive there.... the winter storm warning is until 7 am Wednesday, but the Weather channel is now showing light snow instead of dumping snow starting at 1:00 pm though the night.

Yesterday I prophylactically booked a Comfort Inn at the halfway point for my trip, so I can at least ski Hunter on Wednesday if necessary. As everyone has mentioned that the NY thruway will be drivable (even in a Chevy Sonic) hopefully I wont need to stay there. 

I'd rather ski Whiteface for all 3 days instead of 1 day at Hunter and 2 at WF, so hopefully this stupid Perder storm ends early.

Edited by saltyant

Forecast at Lake Placid looking a little better tomorrow night for my drive there.... the winter storm warning is until 7 am Wednesday, but the Weather channel is now showing light snow instead of dumping snow starting at 1:00 pm though the night.
Yesterday I prophylactically booked a Comfort Inn at the halfway point for my trip, so I can at least ski Hunter on Wednesday if necessary. As everyone has mentioned that the NY thruway will be drivable (even in a Chevy Sonic) hopefully I wont need to stay there. 
I'd rather ski Whiteface for all 3 days instead of 1 day at Hunter and 2 at WF, so hopefully this stupid Perder storm ends early.

Omg. Do you drive a Chevy Sonic Salty? I must've missed that after it's been mentioned 5 million times now.

Btw...Snow or no snow I'm still renting an SUV for when I head up. I have AWD but it's moreso because I don't feel like putting the miles on my car.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Strike one for that statement...

I hope it snows 50 inches within a 2 mile radius over Blue Mountain, otherwise if it doesnt stop early elsewhere (specifically over rts 309 & 424, I-81, I-80, I-287) I might have to ski Hunter on Wednesday instead of Whiteface and that would be uncool.

Edited by saltyant

6 hours ago, saltyant said:

By tomorrow afternoon the roads will be clear.  Most of your drive will be above where this storm is.  If I were you I’d shoot for a noon departure tomorrow so you’re in lake placid for suppertime.  TFTI

• Like 1
  • Boner City 1

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

By tomorrow afternoon the roads will be clear.  Most of your drive will be above where this storm is.  If I were you I’d shoot for a noon departure tomorrow so you’re in lake placid for suppertime.  TFTI

Thanks for the encouragement. My mom says I shouldn't go til Wednesday but I told her I'm a big boy now and I can do what I want. Everytime it snows she swears we'll be trapped in the house for a week but then everything's fine the next day.

6 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Omg. Do you drive a Chevy Sonic Salty? I must've missed that after it's been mentioned 5 million times now.

Btw...Snow or no snow I'm still renting an SUV for when I head up. I have AWD but it's moreso because I don't feel like putting the miles on my car.

You really care about putting miles on your car??

30 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks for the encouragement. My mom says I shouldn't go til Wednesday but I told her I'm a big boy now and I can do what I want. Everytime it snows she swears we'll be trapped in the house for a week but then everything's fine the next day.

Salty you have to be more decisive.  You’ve actually made my head hurt in reading all this.  Noon departure tomorrow.  Buy your mom a nice souvenir from Lake Placid or even better send her a postcard. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1