Elk 1/16/22

abe

By the lodge the doubles line and the halfway double line almost converged at peak busyness but it was still only a 5min line over there max.  Not bad at all for a holiday I thought

Quad line may have been slightly longer but I was using the singles line so it wasn't bad either.

Lift ticket line was kind of long maybe 15min, you can do RFID in advance online this year and print it out right to the quad if you plan ahead.

Elk has almost all of their terrain open and definitely has a good product out right now.  They said they are hiring but seem to have plenty of staff around other than 1 of the 5 ticket windows being unstaffed and west double not running (which I think was to conserve snow product and not indicative of a staff shortage anyway)

Edited by abe

Elk's new RFID system works far better than Blue's btw.  Very sensitive and doesn't lock you out if you don't get through in time.

Somehow the crowd was managing to load the chairs to full capacity without aid of an attendant

My only complaint is that it doesn't show the time when it runs out when you scan it like at Blue.  I wasn't sure the exact minute I started and was unsure if I would get rejected on the last run.  It starts when you first scan like at Blue.

Also Elk charges you $5 for the card unless you reload which irks me a bit but whatever.  All their other prices are very reasonable.

16 minutes ago, abe said:

My only complaint is that it doesn't show the time when it runs out when you scan it like at Blue.  I wasn't sure the exact minute I started and was unsure if I would get rejected on the last run.  It starts when you first scan like at Blue.

Also Elk charges you $5 for the card unless you reload which irks me a bit but whatever.  All their other prices are very reasonable.

I think the $5 card charge is common most places that do them. I know it was added to both my trips to Steamboat and at Copper in the past few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abe said:

Elk's new RFID system works far better than Blue's btw.  Very sensitive and doesn't lock you out if you don't get through in time.

Somehow the crowd was managing to load the chairs to full capacity without aid of an attendant

Who doesn’t get through in time?  Hasn’t happened to me yet.  

On rare occasions myself or a friend doesn't pay attention and the blue gate scans your pass but it is not possible to get through because there are people in the way on the other side.  Then you are blocked from trying again for several minutes because blue assumes you are trying to get your buddies in without each having a pass

4 hours ago, abe said:

On rare occasions myself or a friend doesn't pay attention and the blue gate scans your pass but it is not possible to get through because there are people in the way on the other side.  Then you are blocked from trying again for several minutes because blue assumes you are trying to get your buddies in without each having a pass

Here’s something you should do,”pay attention”. To when your Indy pass is blacked out, and if you left your sandwich in the car overnight.  Don’t worry, I know of people who forgot to bring their beer inside Friday night and Saturday AM their beers were solid blocks of ice.  How long was the drive back to Lancaster from Elk?  Nice report!!!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Here’s something you should do,”pay attention”. To when your Indy pass is blacked out, and if you left your sandwich in the car overnight.  Don’t worry, I know of people who forgot to bring their beer inside Friday night and Saturday AM their beers were solid blocks of ice.  How long was the drive back to Lancaster from Elk?  Nice report!!!

82E2AA96-3571-4F05-A21A-73E5F1B95680.gif

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Lol like I said amateur hour

Its 2hr40 to Elk, 2hr 10 to Montage, 1hr40 to Blue

Edited by abe

34 minutes ago, abe said:

I had it coming when I compared Elk's RFID to Blue's

15 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Rule #1 on PASR....dont EVER critic the beloved Blue Mtn.

Rule #2 on PASR…. Just ignore everything GSS says 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Rule #2 on PASR…. Just ignore everything GSS says 

Kyle I will say that if you divide your number of posts by the number of days you ski...you’re actually the biggest post whore on here.  You’re fucking neurotic and OCD...I remember when you flew to Tampa and you were like wow my flight is 15 minutes delayed, now it’s ten minutes early...now it’s 20 minutes late. Fuck off

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Kyle I will say that if you divide your number of posts by the number of days you ski...you’re actually the biggest post whore on here.  You’re fucking neurotic and OCD...I remember when you flew to Tampa and you were like wow my flight is 15 minutes delayed, now it’s ten minutes early...now it’s 20 minutes late. Fuck off

Feisty this morning are we? I think it’s time for a sugar free Red Bull. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Let's make this a day of kindness. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 10:17 AM, antman12 said:

Rule #1 on PASR....dont EVER critic the beloved Blue Mtn.

Only for some, others are some of the most critical of blue. 

Blues card system is total shit, it has only ever kind of worked and unless it's in your sleeve you have to know how to hump it. Half the things are broken because even when you do it right it still doesn't scan and peeps just push though. It goes with the lifts and some of the grooming and some of the snow making quality and some of their business decisions. I do think it was one of the first systems in the area which may explain some things.  

Controversial opinion..... Elk is one of the exceptionally few places I cannot recall more than a few sections of trails because they are mostly the same and boring in design. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Only for some, others are some of the most critical of blue. 

Blues card system is total shit, it has only ever kind of worked and unless it's in your sleeve you have to know how to hump it. Half the things are broken because even when you do it right it still doesn't scan and peeps just push though. It goes with the lifts and some of the grooming and some of the snow making quality and some of their business decisions. I do think it was one of the first systems in the area which may explain some things.  

Controversial opinion..... Elk is one of the exceptionally few places I cannot recall more than a few sections of trails because they are mostly the same and boring in design. 

And yet, with all of the bizarre and messed up stuff Blue does, they manage to pull off the stunt ditch..........by accident no less.    

I have said it before, over all, Blue is kinda messed up.  but its that kinda messed up that we have all grown to love.  Might be some changes coming, but you simply cant undo something thats been messed up for a while, in a few months.  

• Like 1