Opening Dec 1 23

mgguy

Epic has 8 PA ski areas - which I believe is more than they (or Ikon) have in any other state 

I wish they had better ones closer to me. 

Of the non-Ikon ones the most appealing additions would be Montage or Elk

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Couldn’t wait for Friday to have blue reopen, so spent the morning at Frost. 27° when I got there and 30 when I left about noon. Snowing fairly hard first thing in the morning, with about 2 inches of fresh powder. Did a run on Jane’s Lane, and then the rest of the morning on One Park. They had a half dozen features on one park. They were blowing snow on Dematte’s andappeared to be on Challenge also. Still a long way to go for both of those slopes. The new four person lift going over exhibition was pretty nice, although, of course pretty slow. Lifties were very friendly today. Probably about 30 people in the house. A car missed a turn on the road going out and was being towed.  All in all, and nice morning.

Exhibition

IMG_7709.thumb.jpeg.bac42c8b9f403d1c027c4605a7fe5bcf.jpeg

One Park

IMG_7708.thumb.jpeg.57b57fc58c895a918c422d8e768c8e6f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Thanks for update. Think I will be heading back to Hunter tomorrow. Will hit JF once they have more open. 

Thanks for convincing me to come to Huntah today. It was grate. I was in on the fence before this post but now I'm sitting near a fence post looking up at the big Catskill Mountains. Sickbird, gnarly, radical 

• Like 2

I’ve never been a huge fan of Hunter, but I did appreciate it for early season.  They can really blast that mountain and they know how to dial those guns in.  Every time early season was under the guns and they were dry and soft.  Fantastic snow.  I don’t know if they’ve evolved since being bought by Vail, but I always loved how easy it was to “accidentally poach” there.  They never roped off closed trails.  They had this small sign in the middle of the trail, which was always covered in snowmaking snow that said “closed”.  By the time you were close enough to read it, you were already too committed to go back uphill.  

6 hours ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

I’ve never been a huge fan of Hunter, but I did appreciate it for early season.  They can really blast that mountain and they know how to dial those guns in.  Every time early season was under the guns and they were dry and soft.  Fantastic snow.  I don’t know if they’ve evolved since being bought by Vail, but I always loved how easy it was to “accidentally poach” there.  They never roped off closed trails.  They had this small sign in the middle of the trail, which was always covered in snowmaking snow that said “closed”.  By the time you were close enough to read it, you were already too committed to go back uphill.  

From what I hear, things have changed since being bought.  I've heard they don't put in the snowmaking effort like they used to.

The last time we were there a couple years back now, one of the guys we were skiing with decided to poach a run that had the guns going.
SP tracked him down and yanked his pass w/out even a warning.
Of course, he managed to skirt the readers at the bottom lift and rode the upper lift the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Dec 12, pretty much the same as last week, skied one park from about 10 to 1130. One of the changes I noticed in the lodge was they move the store from across from the pass desk to what was the open lunch area next to the cafeteria so there is significantly less tables space in the lodge. 

Still blowing snow on Dematte’s, and presumably on Challenge  

They picked up some snow over the weekend. 

IMG_7718.thumb.jpeg.94204550e7399c7b9668ff47f786b2b4.jpegIMG_7713.thumb.jpeg.3b25005814ea0b32deed28bd6be1cf87.jpeg

• Like 2

Another day, another few runs down One Park. About 30 when I arrived and when I left around noon. Strong wind blowing up the hill. A couple of cars off the road on 115 up on the plateau. They got about 1/2 inch of lake effect snow last night after the rain. Slope still in pretty good shape. Very quiet. DeMattes and Challenge look almost ready to go. Maybe this weekend or after Christmas. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

A couple of cars off the road on 115 up on the plateau. 

I am convinced there was a sale on homes in the Poconos to those that cant drive in the snow, but insist on doing so.  

people in my development are hysterical on FB.......one lady slid off the road into the ditchy-ditch, but said it was maintenance's fault for not laying down salt.  Said she was doing the speed limit, and therefore she shouldnt have slid off the road.  Thats the mentality.  No matter what road conditions are like, as long as you do the speed limit, nothing bad will happen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

I am convinced there was a sale on homes in the Poconos to those that cant drive in the snow, but insist on doing so.  

people in my development are hysterical on FB.......one lady slid off the road into the ditchy-ditch, but said it was maintenance's fault for not laying down salt.  Said she was doing the speed limit, and therefore she shouldnt have slid off the road.  Thats the mentality.  No matter what road conditions are like, as long as you do the speed limit, nothing bad will happen.  

That’s so infuriating to read and you’re right…it is the mentality. A stark reminder of how badly I need out of here. “Here” as in northeast, east coast…whatever.l

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

No ding dongs and jackalopes out west right @Barb

I’m not saying that but you know better than most there’s a different vibe that exists in certain areas. I’ve actually had this conversation with Barb before. Places do exist west of the Mississippi where the Barb to Karen ratio is probably like 100 to 1.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

No ding dongs and jackalopes out west right @Barb

The other day we had a Lexus from Texas trying to get up a hill in my neighborhood. We asked if she wanted us to try and drive it up. She declined, next morning I saw it at bottom of hill to side. She owns a place here, I feel like she should know better. Meanwhile, my studded snow tires are the bomb!

• Like 3