3/22…pretty nice…Darn quad keeps stopping

Hey All,

I’m back from a fun bonus day of skiing at Blue mountain the true mountain. After a grueling 2 hours of work, I headed up to the hill and arrived at 11:45AM. It was in the mid 30s under mostly sunny skies. In the house were Atomic Jeff, Bethlehem ford Guy, Harold and a couple hundred boomers.  

Quite the line for the quad at 1155am. This is the first and only noon opening.  First run on Razors and they did a fine job grooming with smooth cord with a little ungroomed manmade mainly the lower 2/3 of the run..a little sticky in spot but overall not bad.  

I only skied Razors and each run the headwall had more churned up cookies and the middle section was becoming more boilerplate.  The weather was great the only issue was that the quad was stopping for about five minutes every run which led to an almost full Corral liftline a few times. 

I skied for a bit over an hour then hungout in the lot a little bit drinking beer and now back at work mainly to take in the mail and count money.  I likely will be back Sunday morning for the 9am opening. 

JADIP

0AA25841-C494-4C97-B573-6C28418DF439.jpeg

• Like 8

Got on the slopes a little later. Dreamweaver pretty crowded with people lining up to hit the jumps. Razors headwall getting bumped up but lower down is nice. Burma also open. Crowded, but the quad is not too bad. People not staying long.IMG_8521.thumb.jpeg.1b905814e148cd41f49e1bd657b6397f.jpeg

IMG_8524.thumb.jpeg.2d21ab322cd4517895cecc43bf51cf1c.jpeg

IMG_8525.thumb.jpeg.6a5287b1f7b8801dd47b3b4d7360ee3e.jpeg

• Like 7

Just realized Blue is still open, en route now.  Could not get online store to work...  Guest services is still in upper lodge?

• Boner City 1

@Johnny Law remember that guy Ricky from the parking lot about 4 years ago who swore we were in the slopeside bar and grew tired of my small talk lol me and atomic Jeff rode the lift with somebody just like him.  

He started out on my left at the back of quad line then ended up on same chair on the right with a random skier. He had stories of racing 12 people down lazy mile and talked about how skiers hate corn snow but snowboarders like it and the lift stopped for about 6 minutes which gave him more time to go on.  I kind of feel like jimmy would one up him with tales of when they had a keg on the side of lazy mile lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Fun couple hours, still light crowd. After the sun went in things firmed up a bit .
Razors bumped up a little but to much pizza traffic it’s starting to get icy. 

Had fun patch hopping Razors near the woods on skiers right . 
I think I’m done for the season ☹️

IMG_5439.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Fun couple hours, still light crowd. After the sun went in things firmed up a bit .

IMG_5439.jpeg

On the razors runout at like 12:08pm somebody got owned by the sticky snow and he was ejected off trail.  When I was riding the lift..up he was still getting his bearings.  I can’t imagine somebody flying into that dirt. When it’s dark out they’re gonna go ass over teakettle. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

At the base and what rock have you been living under lol

I have a very nice rock thank you very much

Never parked at the bottom before but couldn't get my ticket online and I guess they don't sell up top anymore

Tonight has been quite enjoyable and coverage is actually pretty great for what's open all things considered. That one area in airheads pic is probably the worst of it. No cookies semi-soft but sticky kind of snow not bad at all. Not crowded but it feels kind of crowded because most people are hanging out on either nightmare dream or razors. Just did a Burma run that was actually quite enjoyable maybe my best Burma run of the year LOL

IMG_20240322_181125_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240322_181522_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240322_181511_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Did you get to skiing???

48 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

IMG_5439.jpeg

Think I rode lift with airhead

Dreamweaver snow very nice and soft but crowded

Razors moguls not too big yet to rip and are soft, middle sections a but icy, bottom is very nice

Burma road is just slow

Run at the very top of vista Actually quite nice

20240322_180603.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

On the razors runout at like 12:08pm somebody got owned by the sticky snow and he was ejected off trail.  When I was riding the lift..up he was still getting his bearings.  I can’t imagine somebody flying into that dirt. When it’s dark out they’re gonna go ass over teakettle. 

I’ve seen people get “Fly Papered “ most of the time it’s funny but that one sounds more serious. 

2 minutes ago, abe said:

Think I rode lift with airhead

Dreamweaver snow very nice and soft but crowded

Razors moguls not too big yet to rip and are soft, middle sections a but icy, bottom is very nice

Burma road is just slow

Run at the very top of vista Actually quite nice

20240322_180603.jpg

👍 Obnoxious blue jacket with Loaf sticker on my helmet.? 
I got quite a few runs in talked to a bunch of people.

• Like 1

Made it up after work for a short session.  The photo shoot was weird and there was a surprising number of beginners out of their element. Saw way more people walking than expected between the struggle on the flats and newbies going down the expert terrain.

One guy asked me on the lift if my Black Crows were a special edition for the band…

Talked to an employee/friend that said the quad was stopping because they had a big gap up top between the wood and snow. Apparently it was ready to go and then melted and people were eating it. Had to call a cat out to fix it

Edited by mute1080
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

What a fun day. A big thank you to all the snow makers, groomers, lifties and ski patrol and all the staff at Blue that made it happen. I knew it would be a great day when the bald eagle made a low flight against the blue sky above us while we were booting up. Magnificent sight. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

👍 Obnoxious blue jacket with Loaf sticker on my helmet.? 
I got quite a few runs in talked to a bunch of people.

Yep I had gray helmet and jacket, green pants, boots, and rossi tele skis

Edited by abe
  • Like 1

Fun to be able to get up to Blue, haven't been there in a couple years.  Snow was actually quite nice what was open and not too crowded, 3 runs pretty varied for what they were.  I'm glad they were able to make it happen and did not expect to be skiing in PA this week.  Talked to a lot of people on the lift and great vibes today all around.

I do miss when they were open to 10:30 at night or whatever it once was.  Makes it hard to get up there with friends for a night session when they close at 8.  Also they need to fix their online store, it kept saying "unable to verify participant, please try again later" no matter what I did to try to check out or add a name of the guest to the ticket.  I think I had the same problem last time I was there a few years ago too.

Regarding the "fly paper" maneuver, had a pretty good one at Blue Knob on a wet whale at the bottom of Extrovert onto runout this year on the tele skis - hinged head over toes for a straight up face plant lol.

If they are able to plow some of the snow from up top down over the thin spots at the bottom, I can see there being a chance the three routes could make it to Monday.  Tuts lane connector worst patch of the lot probably.

20240322_195022.jpg

Edited by abe

18 minutes ago, abe said:

Fun to be able to get up to Blue, haven't been there in a couple years.  Snow was actually quite nice what was open and not too crowded, 3 runs pretty varied for what they were.  I'm glad they were able to make it happen and did not expect to be skiing in PA this week.  Talked to a lot of people on the lift and great vibes today all around.

I do miss when they were open to 10:30 at night or whatever it once was.  Makes it hard to get up there with friends for a night session when they close at 8.

Regarding the "fly paper" maneuver, had a pretty good one at Blue Knob on a wet whale at the bottom of Extrovert onto runout this year on the tele skis - hinged head over toes for a straight up face plant lol.

If they are able to plow some of the snow from up top down over the thin spots at the bottom, I can see there being a chance the three routes could make it to Monday.  Tuts lane connector worst patch of the lot probably.

20240322_195022.jpg

I got bored and did some patch hopping on that side, the cookies were extra spicy . 
Before it got cloudy it was pretty nice. 

IMG_5442.jpeg

Edited by AirheadD8
  • Like 1