first time waxing and I screwed up

Barb

ok, my hands barely work after all this scraping. I am cheap and decided to get all the stuff to was our skis and boards. The guy at the shop said to take 1/3 of the 60oz thing of wax (its separated in thirds) and that would do one snowboard or 2 skis. Did it but the was didn't go on completely even. I was scared to have the iron in one spot too long. This shit is not scraping off. I mean it is but the bottom of the skis and board feel like shit.

Please help me my hands are ready to fall off.

google swix and look at their videos - they're pretty good. i'm not sure i understand what happened. you drip the wax on by pressing the bar of wax on the hot iron, then running the iron over the base should smooth it all out evenly. if it doesn't you may need a stone grind if the skis/board are cupped (?) i know my son's are trashed and need this badly. then you scrape off the excess wax (3 or so passes - makes little messy wax shavings) and brush out the structure ( channel texture in the base), done! usually takes about 20 min/pair skis depending on how many beers become part of the process...

holy sh!t i just re-read your post - if you put 20 oz of wax on you put on like 5 years worth of wax!

Edited by mbike-ski

holy sh!t i just re-read your post - if you put 20 oz of wax on you put on like 5 years worth of wax!

That's exactly what I was thinking, way way way too much wax.

You could try to get to drop in but I don't think there is anywhere for the wax to even go as the bases can only hold so much.

You may have to scrape it off.

ok toast you are officially my hero. Running the iron across again smothed out the lumps. Yeah, way way too much wax. I could kill the guy at the ski shop that told me how much to use. I am going to be scraping this shit off all night. Thanks everyone.

It would probably be easiest to run the iron over the boards again and soften up all that wax, and then IMMEDIATELY scrape. I would suggest doing this in sections. Run the iron over an area, put it down and scrape as fast as you can with the soft wax to remove it.

It would probably be easiest to run the iron over the boards again and soften up all that wax, and then IMMEDIATELY scrape. I would suggest doing this in sections. Run the iron over an area, put it down and scrape as fast as you can with the soft wax to remove it.

schif may be onto something, just be careful not to burn yourself on the hot wax that will start building up onto the scrapper.

What color and type of wax was this? I've accidentally used CH 4 a couple of times due to forgetting about the PRIOR time and the stuff is like ironing on plastic!!! Provides a great protective finish, but it's HELL to get off. I ended up re-warming it and scraping and repeated that a few times. The scraper was useless otherwise. Then I pretty much logged up my brass brush with the stuff after that because the scraping achieved so little. Like I said, provided great initial protection for the season, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Racewax green or red is all I use now. The green's good enough for almost every cold day if I need cold wax and comes off wax easier than that Swix CH4 stuff.

ok toast you are officially my hero. Running the iron across again smothed out the lumps. Yeah, way way too much wax. I could kill the guy at the ski shop that told me how much to use. I am going to be scraping this shit off all night. Thanks everyone.

yeah!!! toast got an attaboy! :clap

What color and type of wax was this? I've accidentally used CH 4 a couple of times due to forgetting about the PRIOR time and the stuff is like ironing on plastic!!! Provides a great protective finish, but it's HELL to get off. I ended up re-warming it and scraping and repeated that a few times. The scraper was useless otherwise. Then I pretty much logged up my brass brush with the stuff after that because the scraping achieved so little. Like I said, provided great initial protection for the season, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Racewax green or red is all I use now. The green's good enough for almost every cold day if I need cold wax and comes off wax easier than that Swix CH4 stuff.

It was swix ch 6 blue color

It was swix ch 6 blue color
I guess not bad, especially for protection against the aggressive ice in the Poconos.

But, I've got to put in a plug for Dr. D again, www.racewax.com. Way more economical than SWIX for one thing, AND I've always found it easy to use. I just use either the red or green hydrocarbon, and sometimes (spring only) the universal hydrocarbon. I'll never go back to other waxes. I've got some Toko red here that's just aging and every time I decide to use it instead of the racewax.com stuff I feel the results aren't as good.

Barb -

Make sure that your plexi scraper has a sharp edge:

1. Lay a file flat on the bench.

2. Hold scraper in one hand perpendicular to the file, while running the long edge against the file.

3. Repeat with the opposite long edge of the scraper. Make 4 or 5 strokes on each side.

4. Drag your metal scraper along the just filed edges of the plexi to get a good "cutting edge" on the plexi scraper.

5. "Touch-up" the plexi scraper with the metal scraper after scraping 2 pairs of skiis.

6. You can do several pairs this way before you have to re-file the plexi.

Also, the wax package, assuming that it's a Swix 60 gram package, is 60 grams, not ounces. You probably need to use 1/8 of one of those third sections per ski, less is more likely.

Last, if you can afford it, buy a real ski wax iron with the temperatures marked in degrees. When set at or just below the recommended iron temp for the wax, there is no smoking of the wax and as long as you're not using extremely hard for bitterly cold weather wax, a greatly reduced chance of damage to the skiis.

Edited by JollyJake99

So how did it go Barb? I'm kind of curious as to how this whole thing turned out. I hope it worked out well for you though.

Best of luck in your future

waxing.

Well I think I got all the excess wax off. I brought the scraper up here with us just in case I didn't. I guess I'll find out tomorrow on the snow. Took us over 4 hrs to get up here tonight. Hit a little snow storm and about 30 miles of ice on the NE ext. Lots of cars skidded out. I drove 20mph since I had 3 kids in the car.