Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/us-winter-2013-2014-snow/18574742

Let's hope accuweather is as accurate here as they are at predicting the hi's, low's, and snowstorms during the season.

The upside to this shitty (and hopefully incorrect) forecast is that it has Sugarbush on the outskirts of above average snowfall.

Seriously though, they are the first one I have seen that isn't calling for a cold November. The 10 day is starting to trend downward.

Winter is Coming...

IMO, tough to tell for us. NOAA shows our temps above normal. Whether it's snow or rain will depend on what "normal" is and how much above it is. Safe to say my favorite, single digit temps are not part of things, though. It would be nice to have LESS FOG this year.... At this point, to me, the jury is still out.

Let's hope accuweather is as accurate here as they are at predicting the hi's, low's, and snowstorms during the season.

The upside to this shitty (and hopefully incorrect) forecast is that it has Sugarbush on the outskirts of above average snowfall.

Seriously though, they are the first one I have seen that isn't calling for a cold November. The 10 day is starting to trend downward.

Winter is Coming...

I'm looking into a Jay Peak trip so I may add a day to hit Sugarbush while i'm up there again. The Slide Brook Basin area was some of the most fun i've had skiing. Maybe we'll be able to catch up again.

I'm looking into a Jay Peak trip so I may add a day to hit Sugarbush while i'm up there again. The Slide Brook Basin area was some of the most fun i've had skiing. Maybe we'll be able to catch up again.

For sure. I will only be volunteering most weeks Fri-Sun, so if you come midweek, I should be more than available. Definitely would be nice to take some legit runs. If the season turns out to be decent, maybe I'll know some good off the map stuff by the time you get there.

Winter is Coming...

They should just do those in Crayon. They cant figure out what this weekend will be like, yet they are making predictions for the whole winter? Good or bad, they just dont hold any weight.

• Like 2

last years accuweather long range was really right on the mark.

590x393_08131507_winter2012-13graphic.jp

Philadelphia received a whopping 8", and our normal snowfall is about 22". Allentown received 22", normal 32". kudos to accuweather.

And just because i am bored.....

590x393_10041805_2011-12%20winter%20high

Philadelphia got slammed this year with 4" of snow. Allentown got buried under 12" of snow that year.

• Like 2

It's just something ski related during a time when the jonesing is high. That is all.

But, that does kinda back my statement that accuweather usually isn't accurate at all.

In other news, it looks like the pattern is starting to change.

Meh. Doesn't do it for me. I may be hitting up the fall harvest thing at Blue on Saturday... Stoke city there!

Edit. and Toasts picture above!

Sunday River. The season is closing in!

It's going to be weird not going back there a month from now. They do it right early season. Last year they only had to upload/download one day before they were t2b. Beat Killington by almost a week. That being said, that was the exception not the rule.

Ski season is just around the corner.

• Like 1

Looks like the pattern is finally starting to change. The temps seem to be approaching seasonal averages at the end of the 10-Day for New England. It doesn't look like it will be cold enough to make snow for an opening, but give it another week, and somebody could be open for business by the end of October.

• Like 1

U mean prognosticator?

One of those people that thinks a lot.

In other news, lift served skiing and snowboarding for the ski season will begin in North America on Sunday. A-Basin is the lucky winner this year.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/8477117-113/season-ski-basin-tickets

Loveland, the other early season player has yet to announce an opening. They shouldn't be far behind. Loveland's opening day terrain is approximately twice the vertical of A-Basin's, so it takes them a little longer to cover it.

I'm thinking sugarbush should be open by Thanksgiving. Maybe even the week before.

The course of action over the past few years has been as follows:

-if it isn't cold enough at the base to open t2b, then they will open the Wednesday/Friday of Thanksgiving week with uploading/downloading

-if it is cold enough with t2b snowmaking temps, then they will open as early as the weekend before Thanksgiving or the Wed/Fri of T-Day if they need an extra day or two

Their stated goal has been to open t2b. If they can't, they will upload/download. Last year they had excellent early season temps and were able to open on the 19th of November t2b for the first time since Win bought the place in 2001. They will try again this year. I have a discount card to Killington, so that will bridge the gap.

In 1997 Sugarbush was open for about 8-10 days in October on Lincoln peak with downspout and upper jester.

I am aware of the ASC days, but the new management team operates differently. They have repeatedly stated that their goal isn't to be an early season powerhouse. No point in talking about the past when they say they won't do it again.