Blue Marsh Ski Area Coming back?

Winter

Nothing official, nothing set in stone, but i have it on good authority that the ole Heidelberg/Blue Marsh ski area (10 miles N of Reading is considering re-opening this this year. The focus is supposedly strictly tubing and terrain parks, no trails or general skiing or boarding. The fact that the extra time and $$$ needed to keep trails groomed isn't in the picture means more resources placed on a good park. Apparently the old owner squirreled away a good bit of the snow making equipment and other bits and pieces of the old ski area and opening up won't take a huge amount of cash. The better part is they hopefully will give Bear Creek a bit of competition in the coming years and give riders and rats a much cheaper alternative than the expensive resort to their East. Anyone have any other info?

Do they still have snowmaking...I this near Cabellas?

That was the one thing he didn't sell off, or if he did, he's still sitting on a good few Hedco fan guns from another ski area he bought out. Not sure on the pumps, lines or resevoir. GSS, he's on the northern most end of Blue Marsh Lake, just south of Bernville. Kinda up Cabellas way, but not quite.

I used to stop by BM on my way to and from Reading. The place was often full of buses from Washington DC with hundreds of kids on the tubing slopes. A couple of mild winters in a row and the place shut down. There are no signs of any lifts and I doubt if the skiing portion of the mtn would survive with rope tows. The caliber of skiers I saw there would really struggle with rope tows.

• 2 months later...

Lastest for there is the owner is trying to coax his son back from Stratton to run the place. They decided to hold off until next season now but have shown some gathering of equipment necessary to make this happen. They are talking 10 lane tubing with as good of a snow board park as is possible. Still hoping they bring it back, if for nothing else, an alternative to the mighty and pricey Bear.

• 2 years later...

Breck has perhaps the greatest t-bar up peak 8, Powder has a poma and a rope toe. Snowmass has a poma and Killy has a poma that on some days launches you 3-4 feet out the gate.

I love surface lifts, surface lifts keep everyone but the real players out of the game. They are simple and cheap, you want to run a lift up some cool shit, throw a poma in. It keeps the numbers low and the herbs elsewhere, they can be tough to smoke on but at least the lifty gets quality entertainment. Everyone no matter how good they are has fallen out of the poma track and done the ski of shame past those going back up.

Ski Sawmill still uses a T-bar. I used to go there as a kid, but I skied back at that time, no issues. I went last year while I was back home for a weekend. I admit I had some difficulties getting used to riding it on a snowboard. Nothing like feeling a fool after snowboarding for the last 6 years. :)

• Like 1

Breck has perhaps the greatest t-bar up peak 8,

I love surface lifts, surface lifts keep everyone but the real players out of the game. They are simple and cheap, you want to run a lift up some cool shit, throw a poma in. It keeps the numbers low and the herbs elsewhere, they can be tough to smoke on but at least the lifty gets quality entertainment. Everyone no matter how good they are has fallen out of the poma track and done the ski of shame past those going back up.

Oh yeah, forgot about Breck's.

Damn straight! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Spring is hilarious, years ago I had peeps on the inside.

The family is dysfunctional at a basic level, one year they showed up after summer and the far right chairs were all on the ground because the haul line snapped, said haul line is spliced 6 different ways, the og com and electrical lines for the far right chair ran on the ground so every 30 seconds or so the lift would take a dump because you don't run 30 year old electrical lines on the ground, the far skiers left trail that is never open has seriously injured two persons, a amish buggy once got spooked and jumped off the bridge near the lower lot, a very large women almost killed a zip line worker when she didn't understand how the hand break worked....etc etc etc

It's a weird little place that has some charm.....also don't get hurt their, just dont.......

• 2 years later...