2011-2012 P.A.S.R. Utah Invasion thread....

phillycore

On our way to the airport now. Thinking about going back to live at Powder in the magic bus or build a hut on sanctuary ridge.

That is like the ultimate dream, a 10x10 Montana Canvas wall tent with a little wood stove. Endless free refrigeration........I think there is something wrong when most of your dreams involve a certain amount of hermit like activity. LOL

I must be missing something with the ridge, perhaps I've just been there too early.

Is that massive pine still standing ? A few years back it wasn't looking too good, its right in the center of the gully between sanctuary and the far right ridge if one was skiing.

• Like 1

That is like the ultimate dream, a 10x10 Montana Canvas wall tent with a little wood stove. Endless free refrigeration........I think there is something wrong when most of your dreams involve a certain amount of hermit like activity. LOL

I must be missing something with the ridge, perhaps I've just been there too early.

Is that massive pine still standing ? A few years back it wasn't looking too good, its right in the center of the gully between sanctuary and the far right ridge if one was skiing.

review the video i posted to see what the ridge has to offer.... 3 days after a storm.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see the video's that the other crew has... I know they got some SICK shit coming...

I survived 6 mountains in 6 days.... Skied open to close at 4 of the 6, (one hour shy of 5), 3 hours on the day of my arrival, and skipped lunch twice.

Now I can say I've been Utarded ---- Deer Valley, Brighton, Snowbird, Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, and Alta.

After skiing in Utah even on the crappiest snow year in recent history. I can say that I don't see myself returning to Colorado, or Tahoe anytime soon.

The Tahoe resorts are the prettiest places I've ever skied.

Jackson Hole is the gnarliest mountain I've ever skied.

Steamboat is one of the funnest places I've ever skied.

But UTAH is the best combination of it all...

Snowbasin reminds me of a mix between breckenridge and vail, but the facilities are by far the most upscale out of ANY ski resort I've ever been too. It's the Taj Mahal of ski resorts.

Brighton is like the Homewood of Utah - it's small in comparison to the others around it, but there is a good mix of things there to keep you busy and Mt Millicent would put a smile on anyone's face.

Deer Valley is unique, I don't really get the whole Valet parking thing and all that, it's grooming is 2nd to none, but I don't go out west to ski groomers. I don't see myself going back there but I would probably take them up on the free quick start ticket again at some point.

Powder Mountain- WOW!! This place is a Freaking Gem! It may be old school, it might not have the vert, it's definitely confusing as hell to navigate, you need to be willing to work a little bit to get the goods.... but DAMN POWMOW is a special place. Powder Country is basically bus served backcountry access. It's soooo GOOD!! If you don't want to take the bus back, than you really don't have to, there's stashes to be found everywhere, and I'm not talking about 20 foot sections of flat shit either. If you are willing to do a little polling and sidestepping the goods are there for the taking and there's plenty to go around. If you go to Utah and it doesn't snow for some reason..... POWMOW will still have stashes waiting, I bet they'd have stashes sitting untouched for 2 weeks after a storm. I don't see myself going to Utah and not taking a trip to PowMow unless I just get dumped on. PowMow takes my #1 spot for best bang for the buck and there isn't even a close 2nd. Get there, and get there FAST!!

Snowbird - Gnarly Terrain like Jackson Hole and Squaw Valley, and we hit it on a pow day. I really don't need to say anything else..... It's a sick place and I will be back!! Tied in my #2 spot with Jackson Hole as my favorite mountains I've skied at.

Alta - I'm officially an Altaholic. I need to join me some Altaholics Anonymous ASAP!!! This is now my favorite mountain dropping Jackson Hole down to a 2 spot tied with Snowbird.

It's just my kind of mountain, it has trees, steeps, stashes of soft snow days after a storm, bowls, you name it... Even the groomers rip. The only bad thing I can say about the place is that there are no damn leg rests on any of the lifts.

• Like 3

Snowbasin reminds me of a mix between breckenridge and vail, but the facilities are by far the most upscale out of ANY ski resort I've ever been too. It's the Taj Mahal of ski resorts.

Powder Mountain- WOW!! This place is a Freaking Gem! It may be old school, it might not have the vert, it's definitely confusing as hell to navigate, you need to be willing to work a little bit to get the goods.... but DAMN POWMOW is a special place. Powder Country is basically bus served backcountry access. It's soooo GOOD!! If you don't want to take the bus back, than you really don't have to, there's stashes to be found everywhere, and I'm not talking about 20 foot sections of flat shit either. If you are willing to do a little polling and sidestepping the goods are there for the taking and there's plenty to go around. If you go to Utah and it doesn't snow for some reason..... POWMOW will still have stashes waiting, I bet they'd have stashes sitting untouched for 2 weeks after a storm. I don't see myself going to Utah and not taking a trip to PowMow unless I just get dumped on. PowMow takes my #1 spot for best bang for the buck and there isn't even a close 2nd. Get there, and get there FAST!!

Snowbird - Gnarly Terrain like Jackson Hole and Squaw Valley, and we hit it on a pow day. I really don't need to say anything else..... It's a sick place and I will be back!! Tied in my #2 spot with Jackson Hole as my favorite mountains I've skied at.

Alta - I'm officially an Altaholic. I need to join me some Altaholics Anonymous ASAP!!! This is now my favorite mountain dropping Jackson Hole down to a 2 spot tied with Snowbird.

It's just my kind of mountain, it has trees, steeps, stashes of soft snow days after a storm, bowls, you name it... Even the groomers rip. The only bad thing I can say about the place is that there are no damn leg rests on any of the lifts.

Ditto to what Phillycore said above.

Powder Mt. - amazing snow. Powder Country is very cool, worth the bus ride back. Skiers left and right off of the Paradise chair was very nice also. I'm not a huge fan of traversing but some of the other "hidden" stuff was well worth it. Didn't get to ski the Cat accessible areas - maybe next time. The trail map is VERY deceiving.

Snowbasin - Loved everything off the Strawberry. That and the steeps off of the Tram were worth the trip. Kinda wishing we hiked to the other stuff but the stuff off the lifts were good enough. They do put a lot of money into their facilities. The cafeteria staff even wear ties and they wiped our table before eating lunch - classy. I like the fact that the place has 2 gondis and a tram.

Alta is everything Phillycore mentioned. Cool laid back atmosphere too. High Rustler alone makes everything we skied at Basin seem tame. That plus the chutes off the wildcat, the stuff off the Supreme chair, The ballroom, etc. The list goes on. We didn't even touch the Catherine's area (didn't feel like hiking) - Next time.

All of that being said - I'm officially a Snowbird junkie now. I will be back again and again. Maybe it's because we skied it on a powder day (with pretty much the entire Salt Lake Valley) but I'm pretty sure I've found my home out west. Lots of vert, Steeps freaking everywhere, Mineral Basin, Gad Valley's trees, The Cirque, open bowl areas like Regulator Johnson plus lots of other hike to areas that we didn't even touch. There's absolutely no run out. It's steep from top to bottom. Just look at the map. There are more diamonds here than the Gahcho freaking Kue diamond mine in Canada! The tram gets you up in literally like 7 minutes and it's a long way down. The Bird is where it's at.

I want to go back already..... my boss is headed out there in two weeks and it's killing me not to be going back.

Especially when there is always an open invitation with him...... F' me man....

Utah is the shit..... I've Never been this hard up to go back to somewhere so soon so bad....I'm going through Powder Withdrawel

Utah was the first place I rode "out west" and I went back for 4 consecutive spring trips (twice each spring in the later years), it truly is an amazing place and as stated earlier, Pmow is something special which few people have anything bad to say about. I am really surprised to hear anyone say they prefer Alta over the 'Bird. As a boarder I obviously have no way to judge Alta, but it's hard to see how it could exceed snowbird. (Also, skier only resorts are retarded and can suck my wiener).

Since moving to CA, I can look at things without any "first time" love involved and I would still say that depending on conditions, Squaw is in the same bracket as snowbird and for me, Alpine Meadows has some of the charm of both Brighton and P-Mow, now that the resorts are joined I think this becomes one of the biggest and best options in the lower 48.

All that said, change is always good, despite being 3-4 hours from Squalpine, I will be arranging a trip back to Utah this spring. The fact that it's taken me three years to do this though says alot about the quality of the CA resorts, and of course about the amzing snow years we have had the last 2 seasons.