2011-2012 P.A.S.R. Utah Invasion thread....

phillycore

Its looking better.

Posted by wasatchsnowcast ⋅ January 15, 2012

Storm Forecast:

Monday Morning: Cold, quick moving system gets us started. Could affect morning commutes for those unfortunate enough to have to work. Snow levels are not an issue given its cold nature. Accumulation 3-6″ mountains, Trace-2″ Valleys.

Wednesday PM-Thursday AM: First warm impulse will move into the area, bulk of precip will stay to our north. Snow levels 8,000 feet. Accumulation above 7,500 ft., 4-8″

Friday night-Saturday: Stronger, but still fairly warm impulse will enter the region. Snow levels 7-8K feet. Accumulation above 7,500 ft, 10-20″.

Sunday PM-Monday: Another fairly strong impulse, will move through, looks a bit colder at this time. Snow levels 5,000 – 5,500 feet. Accumulation above 6,500 feet, 12-24″.

More systems possible beyond this . . .

Discussion:

A cold, fast-moving system will bring a quick burst of snow to the mountains late tonight and tomorrow morning. Tomorrow will be a powder day but mountain temps will be frigid behind the front.

We will quickly warm up though on Tuesday as moist, westerly flow develops… Snow should begin falling Wednesday afternoon/evening and continue off and on for at least a week with several strong impulses moving into the area. This will be heavy wet snow at first with snow levels remaining near 8K feet until Saturday when they finally begin to drop. Valleys may start to see significant snowfall early next week as colder storms move into the area.

• Like 2

Wednesday PM-Thursday AM: First warm impulse will move into the area, bulk of precip will stay to our north. Snow levels 8,000 feet. Accumulation above 7,500 ft., 4-8″

Friday night-Saturday: Stronger, but still fairly warm impulse will enter the region. Snow levels 7-8K feet. Accumulation above 7,500 ft, 10-20″.

Sunday PM-Monday: Another fairly strong impulse, will move through, looks a bit colder at this time. Snow levels 5,000 – 5,500 feet. Accumulation above 6,500 feet, 12-24″.

More systems possible beyond this . . .

I hope this forecast holds. :pimp::)

Edited by Ridge Racer

Pack is total shit, South facing is facets, North facing is facets with maybe a rock hard wind slab. 1ft deep hair trigger that gouges as it runs.

Snow probably won't help too much as its forecasted to be wet heavy but here's hoping it comes in dry.

how much of that is really a factor for inbounds terrain though? obviously the bowls and wide open stuff is going to be affected by the snowpack getting real slide-y, but i'd imagine the first round of storms with heavier snow is just going to compress all the crap down in the trees where it's less likely to slide, or on areas where regular avy work is performed, or on groomers. at this point, i'd be 110% stoked on skiing 4"-6" of fresh on top of a groomer with how this winter's been going thus far. i'm just hoping stuff stabilizes a bit so i can jump off things without too much worry of being swept away on impact.

how much of that is really a factor for inbounds terrain though? obviously the bowls and wide open stuff is going to be affected by the snowpack getting real slide-y, but i'd imagine the first round of storms with heavier snow is just going to compress all the crap down in the trees where it's less likely to slide, or on areas where regular avy work is performed, or on groomers. at this point, i'd be 110% stoked on skiing 4"-6" of fresh on top of a groomer with how this winter's been going thus far. i'm just hoping stuff stabilizes a bit so i can jump off things without too much worry of being swept away on impact.

Sorry that came out kind of debbie downer, fuck dude all my skiing has been WROD, I'd be down for 3" of 20% at this point.

I meant more FYI shit is coming down so prepare for fuckups on 210 when Sup goes and maybe a couple of hours on interlodge. The couple of times Cliff Lodge has gotten hit its been shit like this.

Anything that has been ridden with some kind of consistency will be fine but when PCSP is hitting scotties and a single hand and it is running 100ft wide, 1ft deep Utah has become CO.

I would be a little more careful inbounds because this will be a tricky pack, isolated spots of hardened slab with new wet snow all sitting on a shit bed of facets will make it difficult for a single bomb to get it to pull out.

I think my age has made me soft LOL

UTZ006-180015-

/O.CON.KSLC.WS.A.0001.120118T1900Z-120120T0000Z/

WASATCH MOUNTAIN VALLEYS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HUNTSVILLE...PARK CITY...HEBER CITY

100 PM MST TUE JAN 17 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* AFFECTED AREA: THE WASATCH MOUNTAIN VALLEYS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: A GENERAL 6 TO 12 INCHES...WITH THE

POTENTIAL FOR OVER TWO FEET OF SNOW IN THE OGDEN VALLEY NEAR

LIBERTY AND EDEN.

Sorry that came out kind of debbie downer, fuck dude all my skiing has been WROD, I'd be down for 3" of 20% at this point.

I meant more FYI shit is coming down so prepare for fuckups on 210 when Sup goes and maybe a couple of hours on interlodge. The couple of times Cliff Lodge has gotten hit its been shit like this.

Anything that has been ridden with some kind of consistency will be fine but when PCSP is hitting scotties and a single hand and it is running 100ft wide, 1ft deep Utah has become CO.

I would be a little more careful inbounds because this will be a tricky pack, isolated spots of hardened slab with new wet snow all sitting on a shit bed of facets will make it difficult for a single bomb to get it to pull out.

I think my age has made me soft LOL

fucking sickbird motherfucker.

Greatest TRs in the history of PASR coming your way. Brace yourself.

PC and his crew staying down in SLC. then Justo, Rose, myself, BMT, Trev, his gf, Ryan, Jake. i think that covers it staying up near Huntsville, betweem Powder and Basin.

hopefully once this large band of snow comes by there is a break and then starts dumping on us when we get there. its unlikely that it will snow from now until then.

Alta area

Hi 23 °F

fcst.jpg

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Today: Snow, mainly after 11am. High near 22. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 20 and 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. Temperature rising to around 25 by 8pm. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 17 and 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Thursday: Snow. High near 30. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 21 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow. Low around 26. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 21 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Friday: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow. Low around 25. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow. High near 31. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Edited by JFskiDan