How badly has the mountain coaster screwed up the intersection of Cliffy, Nile Mile & Bactrian?

JollyJake99

I've not been on the slopes yet, but from looking at the new trail map for this year and from a drive by look-see after picking up the skiis from the repair shop, it looks like the mountain coaster has really screwed up the intersection on Nile Mile, Cliffy & the Bactrian. It appears that slow skiiers from the Bactrian are all going to dump into the bottom of Cliffy just at the point where some of the highest speeds on Cliffy are reached!!! It also appears that the Bactrian runout to the east of the Raceway Triple is gone, meaning all Nile Mile, Cliffy & Bactrian users will be in the east lift line of the Stevenson Lift. What a nightmare!!!! I hope i'm incorrect.

Edited by JollyJake99

I was up there yesterday and yup, the mountain coaster has screwed things up and will make for a horrible triple merge. Not as bad as the trail map shows with it criss-crossing over the whole trail but the very lower part of Bactrian (just after where you can jump over to Cliffhanger) is closed. The coaster is set in the middle of the woods for the most part but the coaster now is smack dab in the middle of that runout portion of the trail. Its going to be a big mess when the slower skiers/boarders pop out onto Cliffhanger. At least the Alpine Slide you could cover up with snow and keep a trail. This thing looks more like a giant erector set project that now takes away a part of a trail.

I've not been on the slopes yet, but from looking at the new trail map for this year and from a drive by look-see after picking up the skiis from the repair shop, it looks like the mountain coaster has really screwed up the intersection on Nile Mile, Cliffy & the Bactrian. It appears that slow skiiers from the Bactrian are all going to dump into the bottom of Cliffy just at the point where some of the highest speeds on Cliffy are reached!!! It also appears that the Bactrian runout to the east of the Raceway Triple is gone, meaning all Nile Mile, Cliffy & Bactrian users will be in the east lift line of the Stevenson Lift. What a nightmare!!!! I hope i'm incorrect.

What is the mountain coaster? Didn't make it to Camelback last year, and kids have outgrown Camelbeach, so didn't go there this summer, either.

Pretty much but the key difference is you won't get sued automatically for incidents involving this design.

Alpine slides were everywhere and then some people got hurt so the alpine slide died a very quick death.

Haha I fell off the alpine slide at Purgatory in Durango and got the worst fiberglass burn you've ever seen! Should've sued!

My first memory of going up to the mountain when I was a kid was when my uncle took me to ride the alpine slide at Montage. That thing was the best! And I definitely jumped out of the track a few times and wound up with some nasty scrapes on the one at camelback.

I can't stand the weak attitude of people anymore. As soon as you get a little bump or a black and blue mark you call the lawyer.

My first memory of going up to the mountain when I was a kid was when my uncle took me to ride the alpine slide at Montage. That thing was the best! And I definitely jumped out of the track a few times and wound up with some nasty scrapes on the one at camelback.

I can't stand the weak attitude of people anymore. As soon as you get a little bump or a black and blue mark you call the lawyer.

Long ago I rode that Alpine Slide at Montage (peices of it still exist in the woods I think), and did exactly that...flew out of the thing...hurt, but back in the '80's we wern't sue happy like today. Just got up, got laughed at..and headed for another run.

• Like 1

Got a good look a things today. The dump in to Cliff Hanger is just about top speed in the flats. Should be interesting to say the least. If you like to warp it keep an eye on skiers left just as you begin to set up for the last launch to the Stephenson.

Fuck this shit burns me. God damn it Camelback.

.....lol yeah that was after waiting 15 minutes in the bar for a luke warm 7 dollar beer in a plastic cup. I don't mind the temp or the cup but 15 min.? I grew up skiing at Camelback worked at Camelback and have been around the mountain for 40 years. I love the terrain and it is ...was my home mountain. That's why I ski Shawnee now. My beers come cold and quick, there are little to no lift lines on weekends and for only giving up 100 vert.......nuff sed. Wait till they put the hotel in........the Griswalds will be making this an anuall stop.

Not so much. You'll still have the right side to carry speed but it's still a trail merge. Granted the top of the pharow is an advanced trail, it funnels quickly to a blue and hence the problem.I'm certain management will call this a "SLOW ZONE". A slow zone at the bottom the of a double black. Ah Yeah.....

....and the the beer was a long trail.

I'm guessing it did fuck it up? Your usually the Camelback insider...

Well Cliff isn't open so don't know how bad the intersection will be yet but I just don't like the idea of sacrificing ski terrain no matter how little for a coaster.

Wait till they put the hotel in........the Griswalds will be making this an annual stop.

Is this still happening? It was supposed to open like 4 years ago and then the market crashed and it seemed like the idea had tanked... I hadn't heard anything about it for years...

Well Cliff isn't open so don't know how bad the intersection will be yet but I just don't like the idea of sacrificing ski terrain no matter how little for a coaster.

Hate to say it because I like the mountain but it seems like the place is becoming a circus.

Edited by Ridge Racer

They're still there arent they?

Scattered about the area but still around.

They have eased up on the parking lot deal......of course ya' kinda' have to when you sanction a drunk fest at the end of the season and give away awards for best in show. And remeber to reserve your spot for the party even if you get there at the ass crack of dawn to ski, the Sunbowl lot is reserved for that day.

Man that word circus keeps coming up.......

http://bonald.blogspot.com/clown%20on%20skis%20garmisch%20feb%2005.jpg

How's Camelback been? I'm surprised Cliff isn't open although Blue has a few more runs to open.

It is ok I was out Wednesday was like spring riding. Rocket was the only diamond open and the best trail on the mountain being the slooshy snow was pretty slow on the mad horizontal CBK has to offer. I'm due for a change I really don't think I'll be getting a Camelback pass next year the terrain is getting to boring.

I think so...you can't even drink beer in the parking lot at camelback...It is fun to see all the NY and NJ people..sorry Root and PoconoOceanCity..gotta ski in a Yankees hat..oh no he didn't.

Not true, you can only not drink beer in the parking lot on opening day lol. That was the only time I've ever been told not to.

Not true, you can only not drink beer in the parking lot on opening day lol. That was the only time I've ever been told not to.

I like your thinking.

I'm with ya' on the change. Just 'cuase I grew up here on all this vert doesn't mean my kids have to. I'm leaning toward Bellayre next season. Just go ahead and buy a place up there...then I'll have to go.lol

Went last Wednesday and Yeah, it's screwed-up big time!!!! People coming off Cliffy at near full speed are going to be dodging slowbies merging out of Bactrian on skiers' left. Plus they're going to be dealing wiht the usual traffic at the end of Nile Mile! Think the Ski Patrol should just park a crew at this intersection permanently!!

Also, we haven't addressed how the "walkers" who are going to ride the Mountain Coaster ( It's supposed to be open "year round") are going to get to their loading station. What?! They're going to be wandering across the flats between the Glen Lodge & the Raceway Triple (coaster loadng station is just east of the triple) just where you want to be carrying some speed so you can get to the the Stevenson?? Yet another nightmare!!

Of course, I'm not sure I can identify the audience who are going to want to ride a roller coaster in the dead of winter.