2013/2014 New Equipment Thread

RootDKJ

You're just a freak of nature.

Just because the last is now offered in a few different widths doesn't mean the rest of the boot will fit everyone. I have a wide forefoot and a skinny heel and ankle. A lot of medium boots also have wide heels.

There are a million different boots because there are a million different feet.

• Like 1

The 27.5 boot is a 27 shell and the 26.5 boot is a 26 shell so the difference is pretty minor once the liners pack out a little.

You might as well go plugs at this point, Dobies with the a good shave job....Lange has the WC RPZA which are 92mm.......can you ride 140 boots all day off groomers ? Regardless your Lange evangelism must be working thinking about grabbing a pair of RX 120's

heh...the RS140s are the same shell as the RS130...not any stiffer. Just a different strap and a lace up liner.

I apparently stayed the same size, not surprising since it's the same brand. Tried on a Rossignol, sloppy in the mid foot and ankle. These boots right now are snug enough to drive me crazy sitting at the PC, which I hope means they pack down to perfect. I did loosen the last size and now my red spots are less so, which is nice for future needs as I plan to have these a few years as well.. A buck a day sounds good.

The 27.5 boot is a 27 shell and the 26.5 boot is a 26 shell so the difference is pretty minor once the liners pack out a little.

You might as well go plugs at this point, Dobies with the a good shave job....Lange has the WC RPZA which are 92mm.......can you ride 140 boots all day off groomers ? Regardless your Lange evangelism must be working thinking about grabbing a pair of RX 120's

Is it bad that a Doberman 150 actually feels good straight out of the box for me? I'm sure they'd ski great, but I like some cushion and warmth. Rx130s seem to be working out as a great compromise of snug and responsive vs comfy and warm.

I know the feeling, Justo. The first pair of boots I tried on felt perfect. I kept trying on more boots because it worried me, ended up totally confused. Then took the cousins of the first probably because I was leery of picking the first one.

Can't imagine skiing 150's. Unless I was always on a bowling alley surface.

I know the feeling, Justo. The first pair of boots I tried on felt perfect. I kept trying on more boots because it worried me, ended up totally confused. Then took the cousins of the first probably because I was leery of picking the first one.

Can't imagine skiing 150's. Unless I was always on a bowling alley surface.

Part of it for me is my limited ankle flexibility...I need a stiff boot to prevent bottoming out. Justo has incredibly flexible ankles and can benefit from a wide range of flex. I'd prefer just to be locked in because I can't do much better than that anyway. I've been working on the flexibility, and my ankle is finally starting to move like a normal ankle should, but it's painful and who knows how great it'll be by ski season.

• 2 weeks later...

got a pair of zipfit worldcup se liners to replace my stock liners (which bit the dust). def spent a lot of time in them the past couple of days trying to break them in. so far they feel awesome....kinda like wearing fuzzy slippers in your ski boots, lol. they also give a very uniform connection between the foot and the inside of the shell. can't wait to get on the slopes!

• Like 1

Part of it for me is my limited ankle flexibility...I need a stiff boot to prevent bottoming out. Justo has incredibly flexible ankles and can benefit from a wide range of flex. I'd prefer just to be locked in because I can't do much better than that anyway. I've been working on the flexibility, and my ankle is finally starting to move like a normal ankle should, but it's painful and who knows how great it'll be by ski season.

how are those new boots working out for you?

how are those new boots working out for you?

like Doug said, I don't have them yet. I had my second appt with Billy yesterday afternoon. I brought two different boots (RS140 26.5 and RS130 27.5)...he said the 26.5 would be perfect for a race only boot, but for a daily boot, the 27.5 is definitely the way to go. He had the liner ripped apart, padding removed, boot all marked up for grind spots. we got the alignment measurements, and the boots definitely need canting. I've never realized how poorly timed my turns were because of poor alignment. They'll be ready end of next week after he sews everything, does the sole planing and grinding. The goal is to ski them for a day or two and go back to resolve and additional hot spots.

like Doug said, I don't have them yet. I had my second appt with Billy yesterday afternoon. I brought two different boots (RS140 26.5 and RS130 27.5)...he said the 26.5 would be perfect for a race only boot, but for a daily boot, the 27.5 is definitely the way to go. He had the liner ripped apart, padding removed, boot all marked up for grind spots. we got the alignment measurements, and the boots definitely need canting. I've never realized how poorly timed my turns were because of poor alignment. They'll be ready end of next week after he sews everything, does the sole planing and grinding. The goal is to ski them for a day or two and go back to resolve and additional hot spots

What shop is Billy at? Nobody down my way has a clue about boot fitting.

What shop is Billy at? Nobody down my way has a clue about boot fitting.

he has his own shop now.

I've never realized how poorly timed my turns were because of poor alignment.

yeah, I know that feeling. my boots are canted as well. canting def helps with the timing thing.....not a cure-all, but it's a vast improvement. I found that after the canting was done to my boot my knees felt better after a long day skiing.

You're going up a whole size? Why not a 27?

27 is a fallacy unless you're in a plug boot, and a few select other boots to fill an awkward size gap, but that usually happens at 24.0 and 28.0. The difference between a 27 and 27.5 is a thicker footbed, which is thrown out the window as soon as you start customizing your boot.

You're going up a whole size? Why not a 27?

My old boots are Lange RS130s in a 27.5 My new boots are Lange RS130s in a 27.5. I *was* thinking about going down to an RS140 in a 26.5, but for an every day boot, the 27.5 was the boot. If there actually were 27.0 shells, that'd be perfect for me.

zzslope....Billy has his own shop (PM me if you want his info). He's a pedorthist and can do some crazy things to boots and liners. Within 5 minutes of knowing which boots I was going with, he was cutting stitching and ripping out padding. Even before he started grinding, my brand new boots were more comfortable than my old boots with 180 days on them. It certainly is not a cheap process, but I'm sick of the issues. My first visit was 2 hours of medical history, bunch of questions of about skiing, poking and prodding my foot, etc and eventually a foot bed mold. My second visit was 3 hours of boot fitting and liner modifications. Crazy stuff.

• Like 1

My old boots are Lange RS130s in a 27.5 My new boots are Lange RS130s in a 27.5. I *was* thinking about going down to an RS140 in a 26.5, but for an every day boot, the 27.5 was the boot. If there actually were 27.0 shells, that'd be perfect for me.

zzslope....Billy has his own shop (PM me if you want his info). He's a pedorthist and can do some crazy things to boots and liners. Within 5 minutes of knowing which boots I was going with, he was cutting stitching and ripping out padding. Even before he started grinding, my brand new boots were more comfortable than my old boots with 180 days on them. It certainly is not a cheap process, but I'm sick of the issues. My first visit was 2 hours of medical history, bunch of questions of about skiing, poking and prodding my foot, etc and eventually a foot bed mold. My second visit was 3 hours of boot fitting and liner modifications. Crazy stuff.

As a former shop nerd, I'm really curious to see what all he's done to these things. What kind of footbed does he make?

As a former shop nerd, I'm really curious to see what all he's done to these things. What kind of footbed does he make?

The biggest change for me was the removal of *all* the padding above my instep. Huge difference and instantly relieved the hot spot / blood flow issues there.

The foot bed materials are all his own (not manufacturer by him, but spec'd by him). He makes the footbeds in his shop, tho.

The biggest change for me was the removal of *all* the padding above my instep. Huge difference and instantly relieved the hot spot / blood flow issues there.

The foot bed materials are all his own (not manufacturer by him, but spec'd by him). He makes the footbeds in his shop, tho.

why did you ever have padding above your instep? That's a great way to cramp your foot and kill blood flow to your toes.

And guitar, weighted is the way to go, in my opinion. Not sure about plaster since I've never had those though.