The official 2013 / 2014 Ski Season Thread

RidgeRacer

How many sessions does it take to get your boots fitted?

Session 1: consultation, bio-mechanical assessment, initial mold for custom foot beds. ~2 hours of 1-on-1 time (yesterday).

Session 2 I'll bring my new boots, and he'll start tearing them apart. He's got a bunch of stuff he's patented himself for modifying boots, 7+ sewing machines (for modifying liners). He'll finish up the foot beds and we'll see where my alignment is within the boot. Most likely I'll need canting and some lifts. He'll finish up the work and then I'll come back a third time for final tweaks and delivery :)

• Like 3

I do like how methodical billy is. he did my custom footbed and it's been working out for me so far. he was spot on about my mis-alignments, but I didn't have him do the canting. bootfitting really is a trial and error process.

my big concern this year is that my bunions have caused me pain in my arches and the 2nd and 3rd toe joints. I've been seeing a podiatrist....we'll see how that helps out in every-day life. I just hope the bunions don't screw up my skiing.

Here I was thinking they weren't moving very fast, so most wouldn't consider whatever this is much of a deal. Think about it. The areas are pretty much the whole New York/PA metro area. How many skiers hit that list of areas? Gotta be over 100,000. And they're selling five a day? Hell, we've got a waiting list for lockers longer than the number of those passes they've sold.

Here I was thinking they weren't moving very fast, so most wouldn't consider whatever this is much of a deal. Think about it. The areas are pretty much the whole New York/PA metro area. How many skiers hit that list of areas? Gotta be over 100,000. And they're selling five a day? Hell, we've got a waiting list for lockers longer than the number of those passes they've sold.

I don't think they market them very well either. It's definitely a deal with a good amount of savings if you utilize the tickets, but I wouldn't even know about it if I hadn't seen it here. Ski Vermont sells the 3 and 5 tickets (albeit to top tier eastern resorts), and they sell out within hours. There is hype all year for those. They could do better on these. They are also in a less spread out geographic area. These are spread out all over PA and NY. There's lots of driving to save those $

They had an opening at Crystal for a single day, October 1, a Tuesday, offered 51 tickets for sale earlier this month. Crashed the server in 20 minutes. Got the server up, added another 24 tickets, gone in an eye blink. Clearly there's lots of people thinking skiing.

• Like 1

Session 1: consultation, bio-mechanical assessment, initial mold for custom foot beds. ~2 hours of 1-on-1 time (yesterday).

Session 2 I'll bring my new boots, and he'll start tearing them apart. He's got a bunch of stuff he's patented himself for modifying boots, 7+ sewing machines (for modifying liners). He'll finish up the foot beds and we'll see where my alignment is within the boot. Most likely I'll need canting and some lifts. He'll finish up the work and then I'll come back a third time for final tweaks and delivery :)

How did you decide on which new boots to get or was that part of the consultation?

• Like 1

How did you decide on which new boots to get or was that part of the consultation?

It was part of it. He gave me a some boots that would work with my feet (one of the models being what I'm currently skiing on). I'm just going to get a new pair of what I currently have. Billy only sells Dodge boots (way more than I'm willing to spend), so the fitting processed is fully decoupled from the buying process.

Just saw on Loveland's website that they will officially open for the season on October 17. They've had cooperating temps and have been blowing around the clock, so its not surprising. I expected it to be earlier, but they offer a quality t2b wall to wall 1000' vertical run opening day.

It will be nice when we are posting these announcements about eastern resorts.

Didn't realize that much went into it. Snowboard boots are so much easier and cheaper.

I went and tried on some new snowboard boots yesterday, and they are doing a similar process now. Most of the high end liners for 32 boots get heat molded and fitted to your foot.

I went and tried on some new snowboard boots yesterday, and they are doing a similar process now. Most of the high end liners for 32 boots get heat molded and fitted to your foot.

32 boots still use intuition liners, no? a lot of snowboard companies have kinda skimped and said just wearing them and the heat of your foot will mold them, which is true to some degree, but in my opinion, intuition liners feel like crap unless they're properly molded.

Because I'm a pussy, I have boot heaters (well, bad circulation + cold boots)...instead of having the heating elements stuck on the bottom of the footbed, my new boots will have the heating elements integrated into the custom footbed...no added space and maximum warmth.

you're just now doing this? kinda surprised you dealt with that extra bit of material in there. that'd drive me nuts.

Because I'm a pussy, I have boot heaters (well, bad circulation + cold boots)...instead of having the heating elements stuck on the bottom of the footbed, my new boots will have the heating elements integrated into the custom footbed...no added space and maximum warmth.

tinymoose has been after me for a while now to get those hot tronics for her boots. we have those boot glove things....they came with a reflective mylar adhesive foil that you stick to the underside of the foot bed and around the liner's toe-box. it def helped me out....especially from the heat loss through the sole of the boot. that reflective mylar really works.

Most high end boot liners (double check beforehand) can actually be placed in the oven at a low temp and molded yourself. I use the heat of my foot and 100 plus days on the snow to do that myself.