What's left to ski locally this spring?

Ski2Live Live2Ski

no problem - just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into before making any plans. I don't consider anything beyond the 'skills for day trips and even find hunter on the bubble. did it many times back in the day but never with kids. heck even weekend trips we did southern vt when the kids were young to limit travel time - just makes logistics that much easier

its a bummer greek peak closed yesterday too - tons of snow left and an easy day trip from the valley. great place for kids too!

no problem - just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into before making any plans. I don't consider anything beyond the 'skills for day trips and even find hunter on the bubble.

Gotta remember from jersey we just head due north. U PA folks have to tack east too. I make huntah in a click or two under 2.5 hrs. Gore on the other hand gotta be 4 hrs each way

Chair lift chatter yesterday saying Blue would announce by Wednesday fwiw...

Yeah, from Princeton area Hunter is only about 15 minutes further than Elk - which is why I so seldom get to Elk. You can make up that 30 minutes on the round trip drive pretty quickly on the high speed lifts, and there is more challenge and more than 50% more vertical.

Hunter is about 15 minutes closer than Belleayre for anyone getting to them by going north on the NYS Thruway. One exit further, but closer to the exit.

In snowy/icy conditions they are more or less equal as the road from the Thruway to Hunter is more treacherous and needs to be taken slower at parts in bad conditions.

• Like 2

Ya that road up to hunter is definitely a clencher. I was there last year after about 5 inches came down through the day. Took a while to get to our hotel in Kingston.

I like that road. Very scenic.

Generally they do an excellent job keeping that road clear. Have to with all the buses going through. They know it's their economic lifeline. Back in 2010 when they got around 4 friggin feet of snow in a couple of days that road was fine. Did that trip twice during the storm cycle.

$30 lift tickets at Hunter this weekend if you buy online in advance

$29 lift tickets at Belleayre this weekend

Wonder what they will be at Blue if they open

I like that road. Very scenic.

Generally they do an excellent job keeping that road clear. Have to with all the buses going through. They know it's their economic lifeline. Back in 2010 when they got around 4 friggin feet of snow in a couple of days that road was fine. Did that trip twice during the storm cycle.

They clear it pretty quick, but while the snow or ice is actually falling there's only so much they can do

Gotta remember from jersey we just head due north. U PA folks have to tack east too. I make huntah in a click or two under 2.5 hrs. Gore on the other hand gotta be 4 hrs each way...

You can make it to bellayere (and Plattekill) heading due North from the poconos. It's about 50 miles less mileage wise and there are no tolls but travel time is the same as is if you were taking the thruway since you're traveling on secondary Roads and through small towns for the most part (that and the roads in the Catskill Park are shit.) for hunter / Wyndham your better off taking the thruway from PA.

You can make it to bellayere (and Plattekill) heading due North from the poconos. It's about 50 miles less mileage wise and there are no tolls but travel time is the same as is if you were taking the thruway since you're traveling on secondary Roads and through small towns for the most part (that and the roads in the Catskill Park are shit.) for hunter / Wyndham your better off taking the thruway from PA.

Cool, did not know that. Platty always felt it was farther than what the map says for me

• Like 1

Had a fine time Saturday at Hunter. Sounds like Gore and Whiteface (and some in VT, NH, ME) are the ones that will be open this coming weekend, and Whiteface may extend beyond that. I still want to ski, but it's not looking too likely for this season with next weekend being impossible for me.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

NEW YORK

Bristol – closing April 19 (tentative Fri-Sat only)
Gore – closingApril 20 (Wed-Sun only)
Song – closingApril 18 (tentative Fri only)
Whiteface – closing April 20 or later

VERMONT

Jay – closing May 11 or later
Killington – closing May 3 or later

Smugglers Notch – closing April 20
Stowe – closing April 20
Sugarbush – TBD

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Bretton Woods – closing April 21 (Fri-Sun only)
Cannon – closing April 20
Loon – closing April 20
Wildcat – closing April 20 or later

MAINE

Saddleback – closing April 20 (weekend only)
Sugarloaf – ?
Sunday River – closing April 21

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Wow early closing for Sunday river. They always used to stay open till May

The last 2 years have been earlier than that. Last year was the 14th with a bonus weekend not announced until Friday with one lift only operating. They have already shut down the side portions of the mountain and are keeping open the core. I had initially heard the 28th, but perhaps the weather has caused them to rethink.