1/11/15...an interesting day

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey all,

I'm back from a another fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at 730am and the temperature was in the low teens. In the house were NMSki, Atomic Jeff, Ryan, MBike Mike, ZZSlope, AngryHugo, Johnny Law, VTMark, Matt-Edge, -Dan, Justo, Toast, Rose and Ty. Typical all PASR first six pack of the day. Razers was closed from the start so challenge was skied first. It was pretty good not as good as yesterday cause it had weird little ridges kind of like ruffles potato chips. Nightmare to Dreamweaver was pretty nice with some skiffs of fresh manmade here and there much improved over yesterday. Switchback was more solid than yesterday not as good and upper Main Street was magnificent. Toast was claiming lazy was sweet but I boycotted lazy for the rest of the season as I've skied enough of that run. It turns out I did ski it later...stay tuned as things get spicy in the next part of the report.

Crowds this morning were on the busy side of moderate. Around 8:55AM while riding the 6 pack it came to a sudden stop...then started..sudden stop backwards..this happened a few more times then finally it started up again. Back down at the base and the six pack was now closed and what seemed like a massive amount of people were waiting for the quad to open. Different options for accessing the loser lifts were thought up including taking the shuttle but the best Route seems to be skating uphill to the learning area..through turnstyle up magic carpet(my first ever..and I was nervous getting on and off)..up the learning triple(first time I ever rode a triple at Blue) then a walk into employee parking lot and up about 30 metal steps then down a few and voila in the Burma lift line..

Up Main Street chair and down a pretty nice main street then down a lazy mile which had nice snow but was slow to the falls up the quad and I finished out with a pretty slick switchback. Back to the lot and it was quite the gathering of PASRs then a little after noon ended up at the Covered bridge inn for pierogies and wings. In total I rode five different lifts today at Blue and usually I just ride the six pack was interesting to say the least.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

The snow was excellent today.  However, I did get stuck on the 6-pack for a solid 25 minutes, so I had to kill and eat the other 5 people I was riding with.  Survival is a bitch.

Got to ski and drink with my buddies, so it was a good day.  Glad to finally meet NMSKI, a truly tremendous human being.

• Like 2

I have to agree that Lazy had the best snow even until 4pm.

They blew in the bumps yet again which only served to make them even bigger.

Skiing them was like riding a roller coaster.

Did a lot of runs through Sleepy Hollow which also had some excellent snow, but since the guns were still going nobody was skiing it.

• Like 1

I have to agree that Lazy had the best snow even until 4pm.They blew in the bumps yet again which only served to make them even bigger.Skiing them was like riding a roller coaster.Did a lot of runs through Sleepy Hollow which also had some excellent snow, but since the guns were still going nobody was skiing it.

Hopefully they let the bumps get really big..like the size of mini

coopers!!!

Fun day despite the lift issues. Never have to tell me twice to take a mid morning brewski break. The lip on the top of falls added a little spice to to the finish of the blue mountain World Cup downhill.

The snow was excellent today. However, I did get stuck on the 6-pack for a solid 25 minutes, so I had to kill and eat the other 5 people I was riding with. Survival is a bitch.

Got to ski and drink with my buddies, so it was a good day. Glad to finally meet NMSKI, a truly tremendous human being.

Good meeting you too! my tremendousness as a human being is only exceeded by my ability to break wind. Edited by NMSKI
  • Like 3

I wish Blue would fix the 2 or 3 broken ticket scanners at the bottom.

Especially the F'd up scanner they use for the VIP line!

The thing beeps and flashes the green light, but the bar doesn't move for like a minute.

If you back out, you're hosed as then the system thinks you're trying to use your pass multiple times and locks you out.

The same scanners have been broke since the valley has opened.

You'd think they'd get the company out there to fix em, but I guess Barb won't pay for support/maintenance.

• Like 1

Hopefully they let the bumps get really big..like the size of mini

coopers!!!

They were close to that size yesterday.

I have to agree that Lazy had the best snow even until 4pm.

They blew in the bumps yet again which only served to make them even bigger.

Skiing them was like riding a roller coaster.

Did a lot of runs through Sleepy Hollow which also had some excellent snow, but since the guns were still going nobody was skiing it.

Could you see where you were going through sleepy hollow?

• Like 1

Was there for the morning yesterday.

Had a good time, but have to say, for as nice as the snow was at main street, found some of the other trails a little scratchy.  Having bitched about that though, I have to say, it's incredible how much terrain they can get open quickly.  and I absolutely love the fact that they are blowing snow into the trees!  It's just kind of counter intuitive, you know?  Man made tree skiing....awesome.

The trees on the left of main street > bumps > right side of main street was well worth the drive though and glad I got some skiing in before this weather....

Have a good week everyone...

They were close to that size yesterday.

Indeed, the troughs at the bottom of Barney's were swallowing short skiers whole!

Could you see where you were going through sleepy hollow?

See? You mean you're supposed to look where you're skiing?

Actually wasn't bad as they had the guns pointed towards the park, so was just a light flurry on Main Street side.

The snow was excellent today.  However, I did get stuck on the 6-pack for a solid 25 minutes, so I had to kill and eat the other 5 people I was riding with.  Survival is a bitch.

Got to ski and drink with my buddies, so it was a good day.  Glad to finally meet NMSKI, a truly tremendous human being.

What causes the lift to get stuck to long... I wont except noobs at the bottom laying across the chair as an acceptable response ;)

What causes the lift to get stuck to long... I wont except noobs at the bottom laying across the chair as an acceptable response ;)

There is a safety circuit, basically the lift checks a whole bunch of shit to make sure mass destruction isn't imminent. What happens most of the time is a sensor is bad and keeps telling the lift to e-stop. The lifties clear the alarm, start the lift back up and .4 seconds later the same alarm trips and we are back to square 1. Rinse and repeat ad nauseam until someone who actually knows about lifts shows up (normally burly dude on snowmobile with a big fucking sledge hammer)

Often he'll walk into the box and .5 seconds later the alarm is overridden and everything is back to normal, other times he goes up into the drive assembly and wails on some shit with the giant fucking sledge hammer and once again everything is back to normal. I have no idea what they are doing with the sledge but I've seen it at least 5 separate times at different resorts on different lifts. My guess would be haul line has jumped the track but this king lifty if you will is a magical creature shrouded by mystery and intrigue, we don't know where they are from, what their actual job is or were they are buying such an enormously large sledge from but with this one simple tool they can fix all possible problems a lift might encounter.......

Yeah I just read it.. doesn't make the pit in my stomach feel any better. I cant stand the thought of getting stuck in the chairs for that long.

Nothing bad is going to happen unless it's a YAN or your in Yurp on a tram 100000000 ft above the deck and jets are nearby.......

• Like 3