Injuries

Barb

• 2 months later...

Just had my consult with the clinic. Good news is I do not need stem cell therapy. I am going to try platelet replacement, which is much cheaper. The place was great, they really helped me understand exactly what is wrong with my back. Procedure in 3 weeks and can take up to 4 to notice results. I am feeling very optmistic. The PT helped about 40%.

• Like 5

Just had my consult with the clinic. Good news is I do not need stem cell therapy. I am going to try platelet replacement, which is much cheaper. The place was great, they really helped me understand exactly what is wrong with my back. Procedure in 3 weeks and can take up to 4 to notice results. I am feeling very optmistic. The PT helped about 40%.

That's great news Barb. Will this affect your ski season? 

Don't think so. There is really no down time. Everyone is different, they say you can have soreness for a day to a few weeks as the platelets increase inflamation before it subsides. I haven't skied yet since my back has been bad so not sure how I will feel. We really need some snow out here. It was almost 80 degrees today.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like the "no down time" I was told about applies to going back to work. F*ck!!! Pre procedure doc asked me if I had any questions. I said when can I return to normal activity? He asked me what was normal. I said skiing, yoga, hiking and told him I am supposed to go ice climbing Saturday. The doc, anesthesiologist and nurse just looked at me with blank faces. The doc was pretty cool and when they walked away he said if it were him he would want to know that answer too. Said if i have no pain I can go. Looking over the post op instructions it says "If activity causes pain more than a 2/10 you are doing too much." If I had a pain score of 2 I would feel awesome so not sure how to guage that. Lol. The first 3 days I am basically supposed to do no exercise.

If anyone is interested in the particulars of the procedure; yesterday had 17 viles of blood drawn (more than I thought). They separate the platelets/plasma (looks yellow). I asked the nurse how many injections I was getting she said at least 10 but wasn't sure. They injected ligaments, muscles and affected disk. Doc said I have severe arthritis in left side of my spine so warned me that side would be more tender.

When I woke up I immediately had a muscle spasm that caused me to have tears streaming down my face before I knew what was happening. Gave me a shot of Fentenol, worked instantly. Also gave me a Percocet before I left. So right now, I just feel sore, no pain.

Really have to rethink the ice climb this weekend. But don't worry Ridge Racer, I am going to the Ouray Ice festival next month complete with plenty of clinics. I will write up a full report on that if I dont make it Sat!

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Had my follow up today and I have regressed somewhat since I am back to my normal level of activity. Doc convinced me to have round 2 done but focus on the arthritis in my joints.

Not looking forward to another procedure but really want t feel better than I do now. I am probably 60 percent better than pre procedure. He feels another round could get me to 80-90 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope everything works out. My neck is a mess. Congenital spinal stenosis, herniated discs, compressed nerves. I used to wake up in so much pain, I wanted to puke. I had some steroid injections, PT, and learned what set it off. Past few years have been pain free. Hope it stays that way and hope you find whatever combination works for you. I still occasionally wake up with numb arms, just lay flat on my back with no pillow and seems to work.

• 2 weeks later...