Where's Phillycore??

I heard 5 times your age recently. Probably was your age about 50 years ago.

Having a balance of time off and enough money to do fun stuff is key. I feel like most people on here have that balance.

So, someone fifty years old, today, is supposed to be making $250k a year? You should call my boss, let him know there is a new pay scale.

Regardless, saying its 2,3,or 4 X your age doesnt leave much to be said for where you live, cost of living, etc.

• Like 3

The question is do you live to work or work to live. Most people work to live and nothing wrong with going to work regularly to pay for your bills and the things you enjoy to do.

I work to live, but I also enjoy going to work everyday and don't mind working weekends/overtime so I guess technically live to work?

Five times your age for income? Shit, I better start moving more metal to catch up. No way is $100,000 realistic for a college grad unless you went for some specialized field and are in the top of your class. Hell, the baby boomers keep telling people my age that "They think they graduate school and start making the big bucks, $60,000 right away." There's that $60,000 number again lol. Must be the benchmark.

Edited by skifreak

id ball the fuck out on $60,000/year. id be handing out $20 dollar bills in blue's lot like im robert deniro in goodfellas

The guys at the CioccaSubaru dealership make at least that but they are super high volume. Anyway $60,000 a year would be about 1600-1700 per paycheck every two weeks if you didn't have any write offs or deductions. My office manager makes over $60,000 a year..probably closer to $65k with bonus but she's a broke single mom putting two kids through college.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

I thought my explanation of income levels was on point.

I don't remember you explaining anything just that you'd commute to philly for $60,000 a year. I think it depends on a variety of factors..whether you have kids, what your living expenses are like and if you're in debt. I do know what when I graduated from college in 2001 most starting salaries for business school undergrads were around $35-40k a year..I actually made $38k at Merrill lynch and today starting salaries aren't much higher. First year I worked for my dad I made $22,000 and still went to Jackson hole that year but only for five days. To make 5 times my age we'd have to match our best year which I think was 2008..so I make somewhere between $60,000 and $185,000.

Thanks shadows. Yeah I guess those numbers seem decent for people with a college degree but if you have kids double those numbers unless the spouse is also bringing in good $$$$. I think a major factor is being a minimilist. Aside from ski stuff I really don't buy anything, I don't have cable, I barely have any furniture, I wear the same purple polo shirt for 4 years...wearing it today...then you have more money for fun stuff.

Honestly from what I see when people apply for financing, most people don't even make $60,000. And around here it's hard to make a go of it on 60, especially if you have kids.

If somebody makes over $60k they prob aren't buying a used car in the boondocks. I believe the average salary around here is about $35,000 a year and that's not starting that includes all people from fast food workers to doctors. Average for a household is around $55,000.

If somebody makes over $60k they prob aren't buying a used car in the boondocks. I believe the average salary around here is about $35,000 a year and that's not starting that includes all people from fast food workers to doctors. Average for a household is around $55,000.

I have a far better success rate getting people approved that live over the mountain in Carbon/Schuylkill. Their income is about the same as Allentown but their expenses are less. Believe it or not, the people in the New Tripoli area are very wealthy. Mainly because they live on huge farms and as farmers they are thrifty. They usually pay cash because they don't believe in loans. Contrary to popular belief, most people who HAVE money typically buy late model used cars that I sell. The broke people or questionable ones, usually buy new. I attract people from Allentown, hell even from Delaware they drive up to the sticks to buy from me.

Most starting salaries are still between 35-40k. I have one friend who was 58k straight out of college at Dupont. Companies like Dupont can spend that kind of money though. All depends on degree, experience, specialties, industry. Also when you look at a total compensation package, more money isn't necessarily better. Benefits, flexibility, bonus program, and all that go a long way nowadays. I have expensive hobbies, love vacations and have a dog that goes to daycare so more money the better for me. 

Edited by Zonked
  • Like 4

I know some of the new Tripoli horse farm people. One girl I know grew up in a 7 bedroom house up there and has a horse. I'm friends with the guy who owns AutoApproved on the east side of Allentown and he's had people driving across the state for a deal. Do they even have to prove income when applying for financing? I've just stated a number before with no proof at all yet when I applied for my apartment I needed to bring a recent paystub. I hear you on the new car thing. I know fairly wealthy people who refuse to buy new cars due to depreciation.

Most starting salaries are still between 35-40k. I have one friend who was 58k straight out of college at Dupont. Companies like Dupont can spend that kind of money though. All depends on degree, experience, specialties, industry. Also when you look at a total compensation package, more money isn't necessarily better. Benefits, flexibility, bonus program, and all that go a long way nowadays. As long as you can balance work and life who cares how much you make. I have expensive hobbies, love vacations and have a dog that goes to daycare so more money the better for me.

Thanks zonked and glad my input on average starting salaries is still relevant. Making $35-$40k is fine for someone in their 20s. Its if they owe $100,000 in student loans where shit can get rough

I know some of the new Tripoli horse farm people. One girl I know grew up in a 7 bedroom house up there and has a horse. I'm friends with the guy who owns AutoApproved on the east side of Allentown and he's had people driving across the state for a deal. Do they even have to prove income when applying for financing? I've just stated a number before with no proof at all yet when I applied for my apartment I needed to bring a recent paystub. I hear you on the new car thing. I know fairly wealthy people who refuse to buy new cars due to depreciation.

Thanks zonked and glad my input on average starting salaries is still relevant. Making $35-$40k is fine for someone in their 20s. Its if they owe $100,000 in student loans where shit can get rough

Shit gets rough with $20k in student loans.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Do they even have to prove income when applying for financing? I've just stated a number before with no proof at all yet when I applied for my apartment I needed to bring a recent paystub.

Really depends on the bank. The main bank I use for financing was stated income and they didn't verify it unless something raised red flags. But ever since they got bought out, they have been more strict and occasionally asking for proof of income. One I sold saturday has to bring me a paystub for the bank.

• Like 1

$20k wow that's not bad for kutztown way way way less than the average.

That's not my debt, that's just a general number.

Mine is down to around 5k and payments are still going up every few months. They pay attention to how much you make and adjust accordingly

That's not my debt, that's just a general number.

Mine is down to around 5k and payments are still going up every few months. They pay attention to how much you make and adjust accordingly

Wow I thought it was more like a car or home loan where payments are the same every month. I'm totally unfamiliar with student debt. I know that my former roommate owed like $60,000 and he received a partial scholarship.

Wow I thought it was more like a car or home loan where payments are the same every month. I'm totally unfamiliar with student debt. I know that my former roommate owed like $60,000 and he received a partial scholarship.

My loan is setup like that, makes it so you pay if off faster rather than, say $200 a month, for the next 99 years.

College debt seems like a cancer to me.  I'm glad I went to college in the 90's while shit was somewhat affordable and craft beer and medical grade weed were unheard of.[/quote

Hmmm at the university of Vermont there was craft beer and medical grade marijuana in the 90s

I went to a shitty state school in NJ.  We had Mickey's big mouth or what ever the guy in Paterson had for weed