Camelback Snowtubing Report - 11/24/2017

saltyant

Just posted by Camelback:

"We’ve installed new snow guns and our snow makers have been working around the clock! Camelback isn’t completely grass like other mountains, so coverage takes time. We are working hard so that when we open, we can open with quality trails and stay open. Please be patient- we will be announcing opening day as soon as we know when it is! We think it’s great that other mountains were able to open early. Every mountain is different and there are many factors that go into opening!"

Not sure why it matters that Camelback isn't completely grass like other mountains. Does snow melt slower on grass?

Camelback clarified the grass conundrum.

"with having the outdoor waterpark, we have pavers on a nice part of the base area and lower mountain, making coverage more difficult when the temps change. Grass is just easier to cover!"

I did get a Camelbeach season pass with my ski pass, so I guess it balances out. Too bad I didn't use it once since I'm a germaphobe and think sharing water with 1,000 other people is disgusting.

Edited by saltyant

10 hours ago, saltyant said:

Just posted by Camelback:

"We’ve installed new snow guns and our snow makers have been working around the clock! Camelback isn’t completely grass like other mountains, so coverage takes time. We are working hard so that when we open, we can open with quality trails and stay open. Please be patient- we will be announcing opening day as soon as we know when it is! We think it’s great that other mountains were able to open early. Every mountain is different and there are many factors that go into opening!"

Not sure why it matters that Camelback isn't completely grass like other mountains. Does snow melt slower on grass?

I hope you like snowtubing.  Camelback is going to be late to the game opening slopes.  The cold air that people thought would be in place now stayed up north or whatever, so this is going to be an interesting 2-3 weeks for making snow.  Seems like Blue has been making at every opportunity, but we need some sustained cold.  Camelback only blowing on their tubing hill when we had that couple days of cold 2 weeks ago, might go down as a big a blunder as calling for a Monday opening on a Friday, then blowing a huge pipe and canceling opening, either last year or the year before.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Sometimes the tides turn the other way.

Seems like just a few years ago, we were slumming it at CB for laps off a short slow lift before Blue opened.

Yup very rare at least in the last 12 years for Camelback to open before Blue..it did happen that one year and I wasn't there with you and Toast and I believe Atomic Jeff. 

21 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

We can all tube for free at Blue mountain and most of us would rather ski and drink beers.  

i was forced to go tubing, and to me its just the definition of insanity.  Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.  It was at BB, and it was the longest 2 hrs of my life.