Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

28 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

The vaccine doesnt bother me as much as the virus thing does though.  The managers assistant in my office scares the shit out of me.  He is in the age group that seems to feel impervious to the virus.  Made mention of going out to dinner on dates, bars with friends, etc, kinda seems like he just cant lay back for a little and see how this goes, i guess feels like he needs to be the test pilot.  He really feels he doesnt need to wear a mask around the office, and he is actually not in an office, just this kind of open area, so there is tons of traffic around him.  I figure if he lacks judgement at work, its certainly out the window when he leaves here.  Before we got tested on Friday, i heard him say "if i have this thing im gonna be so mad."  Fucking schmuck.  

Isn’t it a policy to wear a mask in the office?  He must be really good at his job or related to the owner lol. I just got into an argument with a friend.  She said kids can’t spread corona so teachers have nothing to worry about.  Ok sure...from what I read kids under age 10 don’t spread it much but older kids spread the virus just as much as adults. 

13 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Looking online most pilots don’t wear a mask while flying so that’s probably how he got it from all the recirculated air.  +++++VIBES+++++ to your friend.  

I'm pretty sure airliners use a mix of fresh air and recirculated air.....also the air goes through filters .....but I guess it could happen that way....

52 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

I'm pretty sure airliners use a mix of fresh air and recirculated air.....also the air goes through filters .....but I guess it could happen that way....

I saw that hundreds if not thousands of airline employees have been infected with corona. Delta had 500 employees test positive and ten dead.  This was last month.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/500-delta-airline-staff-test-positive-coronavirus-10-dead-1513016%3famp=1

this vaccine scenario scares the living shit out of me, way too many $ and political chips on the table

A fifth contender, Merck, painted a far less rosy picture of the vaccine development landscape. Dr. Julie Gerberding, the company’s executive vice president and chief patient officer, made no promises about when its product would be ready, citing concerns about safety should the process be rushed. “We do not expect to be able to accelerate the safety assessment,” Dr. Gerberding said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/health/covid-19-vaccine-coronavirus-moderna-pfizer.html

8 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

assuming you're wearing a helmet (ideally a full face) and a mask underneath it, glasses or goggles, and gloves, i'd think your exposure risk is pretty slow. i'm guessing they're recommending you only ride the lift with someone you came with, and not just allowing random singles to hop on together, but it's blue so who knows. they change their chairlift rules every two weeks for the bike park it seems. don't go inside, keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket for emergencies, and keep your gloves on and don't touch your face. i can't imagine the "sweat trail" or whatever they're talking about (exhalation stream?) is gonna be that large and dispersed from someone wearing a full face helmet. you could also just go up on a rainy day when no one's there and any droplets fall out of the air quicker from the high humidity/moisture content, in theory? the biggest risk at blue is always the loose rocks haha

Here is the quote:

• Rider spacing of at least 20 meters is encouraged to avoid the “slipstream” of exhalation

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Here is the quote:

• Rider spacing of at least 20 meters is encouraged to avoid the “slipstream” of exhalation

I'm so fucking slow and shitty at DH that there would be a line of people behind me. One of the reason's why I stopped. That, and multiple concussions. 

• Haha 1

The Allentown school board votes tomorrow on if the school year starts virtually. Based on discussion seems like they will vote for virtual schooling.  Such a divide between democrats and republicans on this. Democrats are more likely to be urban folks and minority as well and female..more cautious about things.  Republicans don’t want the economy slowing down any more. 

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The Allentown school board votes tomorrow on if the school year starts virtually. Based on discussion seems like they will vote for virtual schooling.  Such a divide between democrats and republicans on this. Democrats are more likely to be urban folks and minority as well and female..more cautious about things.  Republicans don’t want the economy slowing down any more. 

It should be virtually but low income and underprivileged folks will fall back even more. It is such a difficult decisions because of the safety perspective but minorities will suffer overall in the Allentown SD. 

Just now, toast21602 said:

It should be virtually but low income and underprivileged folks will fall back even more. It is such a difficult decisions because of the safety perspective but minorities will suffer overall in the Allentown SD. 

That’s exactly what my friend who sends her kid to catholic school said. She also said kids can’t spread it.  I told her that Dr. Fauci said younger kids don’t spread it as much but kids 10+ years old spread it as much as adults they just don’t get as sick from corona generally. 

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

very difficult decision.

The 'we need to open the economy' line of thinking is, IMO, faulty.  The virus is killing the economy, not the shutdowns.  FLA and TX are proving this in real time.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That’s exactly what my friend who sends her kid to catholic school said. She also said kids can’t spread it.  I told her that Dr. Fauci said younger kids don’t spread it as much but kids 10+ years old spread it as much as adults they just don’t get as sick from corona generally. 

Where did people get the idea that kids can't spread it? Fox and Friends?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I'm so fucking slow and shitty at DH that there would be a line of people behind me. One of the reason's why I stopped. That, and multiple concussions. 

me too...

Hey, anyone have a dual suspension bike they want to get rid of?  Kind of getting into the sport on the trails around me.  

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

Where did people get the idea that kids can't spread it? Fox and Friends?

I don’t know her head is buried in the sand.  I’m a master debater but aside from showing her a few articles about who can spread the virus I changed the subject. This is the same person who thought this would all be fine after two weeks. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t know her head is buried in the sand.  I’m a master debater but aside from showing her a few articles about who can spread the virus I changed the subject. This is the same person who thought this would all be fine after two weeks. 

You mean kids who constantly have their fingers in their mouths, sneeze without covering their mouths, lick anything and everything possible, etc etc can’t spread it? She’s got her head so far in the sand she probably knows the lottery numbers in China for tomorrow. 

• Haha 2

What do you guys think about the silly hoops that they are making you jump through to go for a drink now? 

Logically it makes sense, discourage people from gathering in bars to sit and watch the game and drink all night. It also has the side effect of having establishments make an extra few bucks on food that might not have otherwise been bought. 

Is it really going to do anything at this point though? Probably not. People who don't want to go to bars are going to stay home and those that have decided it's worth the risk will just order some fries. 

I'm getting concerned that we are oddly OK with the governor of a state having the broad authority to implement such ticky tack regulations. Even if they are in this case for the greater good, this is kind of not cool. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

What do you guys think about the silly hoops that they are making you jump through to go for a drink now? 

i thoroughly enjoy watching the state try to enact things and see bar owners being like 'lol hold my beer (literally)' while they come up with the next loophole.

13 minutes ago, Schif said:

Logically it makes sense, discourage people from gathering in bars to sit and watch the game and drink all night. It also has the side effect of having establishments make an extra few bucks on food that might not have otherwise been bought. 

Is it really going to do anything at this point though? Probably not. People who don't want to go to bars are going to stay home and those that have decided it's worth the risk will just order some fries. 

I'm getting concerned that we are oddly OK with the governor of a state having the broad authority to implement such ticky tack regulations. Even if they are in this case for the greater good, this is kind of not cool. 

It sucks for bar and restaurant owners. That’s already a fickle low profit margin industry. Honestly I think indoor dining and indoor bars should just be shutdown in PA. 

11 minutes ago, Benm said:

i thoroughly enjoy watching the state try to enact things and see bar owners being like 'lol hold my beer (literally)' while they come up with the next loophole.

Who is even enforcing this and how? Do they make you submit your transactions at the end of the week to make sure each one has a food item on it? 

Also what is the long term plan here? Covid is not going away anytime soon (or ever) and not to get all Ned Stark on everyone but Winter is Coming. Outdoor dining will be off the table in 3 months. Maybe not for parking lot meat lovers like us like us, but still. 25% capacity in a restaurant and you can't just pump your highest profit margin product, alcohol, out over the bar to people is just a recipe to close your doors for good.