JF 12/20

C1erArt

Back from a short morning at Frost. Got there about 930 temperature was 24°, nice and sunny. They were blowing snow on challenge. DeMattes was nice and groomed and they had some fresh snow on one park with the left side left a little powdery.

They only had one top to bottom left running, and it got really crowded about 1030. Even coming from Jane’s Lane you had to take that one lift at the bottom of one park. Looks like college is out and there’s no place else to go other than frost. There were a lot of lifties from round top and liberty.

Had three snowboarders sitting across the middle of DeMattes right at the top of the head wall nicely spaced out to take up most of the trail. Don’t know what they are thinking.

Will try to get there right at opening tomorrow morning.

5f93464df24d780b84de7af3a469fc4e.jpg

not a good picture, but I didn’t want to stop on the trail and waste time.

• Like 6
  • Boner City 1

No, not much seems to be going on at east mountain, but they do seem to be blowing on the nearby tubing area. Will take a closer look tomorrow.

Think I’ll suspend skiing until more trails and lifts are opened. Looking back on yesterday it was pretty scary with packed corrals and very few wearing masks. I didn’t realize until I got home that they only had two lifts open for the whole mountain, and one of those was the short beginner lift. They are pretty strict about the lodge, but all bets are off for once you are on the mountain. Omicron variant at 75% in the US? Scary contagious. Maybe I’m watching too much CNN. We are having our one and two year old grandkids over for Christmas, and my wife would kill me if I got Covid.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Omicron variant at 75% in the US? Scary contagious. Maybe I’m watching too much CNN. We are having our one and two year old grandkids over for Christmas, and my wife would kill me if I got Covid.

It is getting super hot right now in the COVID healthcare world again and it is just going to get worse after the holidays. Better safe than sick - especially for your grandkids who aren't able to be vaccinated yet. 

13 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Think I’ll suspend skiing until more trails and lifts are opened. Looking back on yesterday it was pretty scary with packed corrals and very few wearing masks. I didn’t realize until I got home that they only had two lifts open for the whole mountain, and one of those was the short beginner lift. They are pretty strict about the lodge, but all bets are off for once you are on the mountain. Omicron variant at 75% in the US? Scary contagious. Maybe I’m watching too much CNN. We are having our one and two year old grandkids over for Christmas, and my wife would kill me if I got Covid.

Are you skiing with a mask on?  Do you really think you can catch Covid outdoors when fully vaxxed, boosted and masked?  Last week I had a stuffed up nose and was conjested.  Maybe it was omicron or maybe a cold.  No idea but in the words of Elton John,”I’m still standing”

24 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

You're probably okay outside, but better safe than sorry and you can ski all you want once Christmas is over.  

Even though I'm not very Covid careful, I will definitely limit my activities the week before I see my mom and her boyfriend because they are very cautious.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NMSKI said:

You're probably okay outside, but better safe than sorry and you can ski all you want once Christmas is over.  

Even though I'm not very Covid careful, I will definitely limit my activities the week before I see my mom and her boyfriend because they are very brainwashed..  

Are they vaxxed?

hmmm .. Are the hills usually busy on Christmas eve and Christmas?

In Colorado, the runs were usually quiet from Christmas eve through Christmas at like 11am/12pm when everyone else is done with gifts. 

I'm hoping to be able to sneak away for some AM runs at JF on Christmas Eve. 

Are you skiing with a mask on?  —-Yes. But it was a cloth mask, not a N95 mask. ——Do you really think you can catch Covid outdoors when fully vaxxed, boosted and masked?  ——Yes. Omicron is crazy contagious and is 75 percent of the US cases in just a week or two. ——-Last week I had a stuffed up nose and was conjested.  Maybe it was omicron or maybe a cold.  No idea but in the words of Elton John,”I’m still standing”

No doubt being in a packed corral for 15 minutes with most not wearing masks puts you at risk no matter what precautions you take, although I think a well fitting N95 mask helps a lot, along with goggles. And I do have the high octane Moderna. Going to be close with 2 one year olds and a 2 year old over the holidays. Worried I might have it and not realize it, since the initial symptoms are ‘feeling old’, which I do all the time except when crusing down a slope hyped up on Advil. But we do have a half dozen boxes of rapid tests. Most epidemiologists are saying the thought that Omicron is less severe is just media trying to down play it.
  • Like 1