12/29

Mixilplix

Arrived at 830 and the snow as said was way harder than expected.  Night and day from yesterday.  It's gonna be rough getting through New Years for Blue.  I'd hate to see it but I expect a Tuesday/Wed or Tues-Thurs closing for snowmaking and reopen Friday likely with the return of Paradise and Lazy Mile.

Snow surprisingly locked up overnight and made everything firm and fast.   However, wherever a snowmobile had gone over the snow, it was soft underneath.

@tarponhead showed up and lapped everything with him until the legs gave out from the soft snow on Coming Soon.
Sun was out most of the morning and it was warming up fast.  However around noon clouds rolled in and it began to drizzle and continued to do so while we drank beers in the lot.

Vista was absolutely nutz going through there mid morning with all the beginners and crazies intermingling to try to safely navigate the mayhem.
On down towards the Vista lift, there's now just a WROD funneling everyone into tight quarters which made for some jocularity.

Midway was nice later, but trying to get through the Vista debacle didn't make it worthwhile.

Lower Main is hurting and it'll be interesting just how wide it'll be tomorrow after the sun and traffic today.
They could push some snow down from upper Main.

The connector under the super six is perhaps an 1" deep now and will need some help to stay open, but who knows from where they'll get snow for that.

Coming Soon was ROTD after it softened up.
There was a beginner girl at the top whining to her friend she couldn't make it down because it was too steep and that she was gonna die, to which I asked her if I could have her goggles then.  We told her to just traverse and she'd be fine.  We didn't see her again.

Upper Paradise is done, stick a fork in it.
Lower Paradise is also in need of snow as a part of it is barely 1" deep and will probably be dirt by the end of today.
There's pretty much nowhere to get snow so that'll be real interesting if they can't keep that open.

Gonna be a fun weekend!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DiMe said:

Arrived at 830 and the snow as said was way harder than expected.  Night and day from yesterday.  It's gonna be rough getting through New Years for Blue.  I'd hate to see it but I expect a Tuesday/Wed or Tues-Thurs closing for snowmaking and reopen Friday likely with the return of Paradise and Lazy Mile.

I think the closed tuesday until a total refresh on everything is quite possible. 

i think re opening paradise on friday will be wishful thinking. Theres not a lot of consensus between the forecasts, and to me it means temps are a coin toss. 

but, it could also swing super cold earlier in the week. But, the pattern has been for the cold to get moved back, so unfortunately thats how i think its gonna go. Sadly, Im not expecting great things to happen by next saturday. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the reports..I was up early but didn’t really feel like skiing.  Yesterday I didn’t really feel like skiing especially driving in the fog and rain but the runs were enjoyable and glad I got the last of upper paradise and the last of lazy mile the other day.  I’m going tomorrow with zero expectations.  I think it could be spicy out there.  If coming soon to lower paradise is still open and they’ve patched up the Nile river crossing, that might be a bit quieter. I hate all that vista jazz and the crossover from lower vista to upper midway my head is on a swivel.   

ski some of y’all tomorrow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Thanks for all the reports..I was up early but didn’t really feel like skiing.  Yesterday I didn’t really feel like skiing especially driving in the fog and rain but the runs were enjoyable and glad I got the last of upper paradise and the last of lazy mile the other day.  I’m going tomorrow with zero expectations.  I think it could be spicy out there.  If coming soon to lower paradise is still open and they’ve patched up the Nile river crossing, that might be a bit quieter. I hate all that vista jazz and the crossover from lower vista to upper midway my head is on a swivel.   

ski some of y’all tomorrow. 

Don't get it wrong, it was different today but it was the best skiing of the year. You missed it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I guess “cant believe how well Blue is holding up” can be subjective, but does this guy work for Blue?  
IMG_9517.thumb.png.95b16ac170be67c485d6b806d70b6899.png

this is why i love FB, and the reason you shouldnt believe most of what you read on the internet. I would say Blue is holding on, but barely. 

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Haha 1

Thats just what ya call a stoke post, he enjoyed himself today.   Realistically though compared to most other PA resorts Blue is holding up well all things considered.  CBK, JFBB possibly Montage and or Elk may potentially have deeper bases to survive this stretch though at the cost of opening mid December as opposed to early.

Edited by DiMe

5 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Thats just what ya call a stoke post, he enjoyed himself today.   Realistically though compared to most other PA resorts Blue is holding up well all things considered.  CBK, JFBB possibly Montage and or Elk may potentially have deeper bases to survive this stretch though at the cost of opening mid December as opposed to early.

Montage doesn’t have any blacks open just upper mountain flat terrain.  

16 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

So question for tomorrow, rock skis, new skis with good edges, or both? 

Your def going to want edges in the morning.  It was hard but still edgable with my park board today but any more slick and I'd need my all mountain boards edges to feel secure.  Rock skis by noon would be a good idea if you really dont want to risk nice/newer gear from some minor dings.

Edited by DiMe
  • Thanks 1