Jack Frost - 1-17 PASR Day

RidgeRacer

I was nominated to start the TR for the day so here goes. I'll let everyone else go into detail but today was excellent. The weather wasn't that bad at all. It was cold at first with blue skies, sun and no wind but as the day wore on the temperature rose and it was pretty comfortable. I got there at 10am and made my way over to Exhibition to find PASR's Atomic Skier, Grilled Steeze Sandwich, Moe Ghoul, Boblikescats, Sex Kitten, Think Snow, Think Snow's friend and Melissa. I think Barb was there too but I wasn't able to introduce myself to her (sorry Barb). I think that was everyone. We made our way down exhibition then to T Bolt Glade and Thunderbolt then a run through the Challenge Glade. After that, we met up with Phillycore as he was getting off the lift. We then headed over to East for a run on River Shot then over to Floyd's Folly. Think Snow broke out the radar gun and that's when things got really fun.

Me and Moe got down first and were waiting at the lift for a while wondering where everyone was. Finally everyone came down with a few patrollers who weren't happy about us going fast on Floyd's which I was shocked to see because everyone was in control and there was no one else around. I clocked in at 44 mph on my first run down but I'm rounding up to 45 :D . After a few more runs, we hit the lodge for lunch where we met Librider. After lunch we hit One Park then it was back over to East Mt for a few runs. I then took my last run through the Challenge Trees. On my last lift ride up with Phillycore and GSS, I got to hear Doug freestyle rap. The man's got skills for sure.

The snow got progressively better as the day went on and the temperatures warmed up, not that it was bad to begin with but it was a near perfect, chalky packed powder towards the end. Anyway today was really fun. It was great to meet all of you guys. I'm definitely trying to make it to next week's 5th anniversary PASR day.

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw everyone for about 5 minutes. By the time my slow ass got down exhibition I didn't know everyone went on the other lift. Oh well. Conditions were great as Pa RR said. It was only super cold first thing this morning. I had a fun day hanging around my kids.

I did sneak up to the bar in time to see Bob, Leslie, Melissa and Doug. I wish I could have stayed longer. Tomorrow's temps should feel tropical compared to today, can't wait.

I don't have time to write a full TR now (friend coming up--must clean messy apt and go to food store!), but for now, I'd like to remind everyone that if you are going to bomb the black diamond, be sure to turn, so that you can stay IN CONTROL. Remember, if you tuck the run, you might hit the tree, but if you are making turns, you totally won't. This logic brought to you by the JFBB redcoats.

Also, when using the radar gun, do NOT yell out "48 MPH" in front of the redcoat. This attracts unwanted attention.

Too bad I had to leave early, but it was fun this morning, nice to meet everyone, and I'm proud to say I hit the highest speed of the morning with my slowest skis...53mph :)

Actually, Bob fell on the radar gun and knocked the calibration off by 8 mph, so you came in last. :)

Lotsa fun meeting up with everyone and checking out JFBB. Good snow and grooming. Everybody skis well, and I give Melissa the "Ripper of the Day" award for her understated skills and 2 beer lunch program! Sexkitten was knocking down JF diamonds like a champ.

Edited by Moe Ghoul

Okay, I've got time for a full TR now!

Woke up at 7, but didn't get out of the house til about 8:45 (it takes me a while to get moving in the morning). Pulled into JF and got my ticket; by the time I got on the snow, I think it was about 9:45. I wanted to do a warm-up run, so I went down some green and cut over to a blue. The snow was SO SLOW. My skis need to be waxed, but I think part of it was that the snow was so cold, it was slow snow (this is just a hypothesis). I took the lift up (some double chair) and had to book it over to Exhibition for the group meet up.

Met up with everyone at 10 and we all took a turn introducing ourselves. We skiied a bunch of runs and had a blast all day. Man, it was COLD out. Our toes and noses were def. getting cold all day, but I think other than that, most people were very comfortable and dressed for the weather. Bob, Leslie, and I decided that some company should invent a goggle with a nose warmer on it--just a little something to prevent the nose from being exposed to the cold/wind. I would buy one.

Lunch was fun, and so was post-skiing drinks. The Bacardi girls were giving out swag. Leslie, of course, managed to get the best swag (and a free drink) from some guy at the bar. Bob made a special friend at the bar (head Bacardi girl) and got a round of free drinks. I just used my debit card.... It was great finally meeting Barb, with whom I hope to actually ski at some point! OH, the E-2000 bar is really cool, I highly recommend it.

Bottom line: PASRs who have not come to a PASR day before should know that we are a fun and relaxed bunch, and even if you don't know anyone, you'll make tons of friends. I know we all made a concerted effort to take the lift with different people to get a chance to chat, etc.

Oops, missed you guys, thought it was at 9. Probably passed you though - lapped Floyds and Rivershot all morning - purplish blue coat. yellow poles with new silver helmet with tune-ups. Richie Blackmore day. Did think to myself a couple of times on the lift that there were a lot of hot skiers bombing down the runs until about 11:30 when the rental skiers started showing up. Be there next Saturday though.

Edited by C1er

who are all the gapers in that picture?

Left to right: Non-PASR friend of ThinkSnow, Joe; GSS; ThinkSnow; Phillycore (that jacket is an optical illusion, Core looks like he's got a 34" waistline, lol); Bob and SexKitten; Melissa; PA Ridge Racer; me.

Sounds like you all had a great time at JF today.

After today's temps you know why I posted so much about

investing in high tech clothes and dressing like an astronaut.

Its been teens a few weeks of February in past years.

I haven't had cold feet with snowboarding boots but I could never keep

warm toes with ski boots at 10 degrees. I don't know how you guys do it.

About the chalky slow snow.....

can anyone recommend a specific wax they use when its 10 degrees outside?

I had my board waxed on Monday and it lasted 3 days.

By the end of Wednesday it felt sticky.... and the temp never got above 25

degrees so its not like the snow was wet and sticky. It was very dry and chalky.

I sort of hope a wax job lasts more than 9 hours of ride time.... 3 hours a day for 3 days.

But I don't ever seem to get any more time out of a wax job..... then I resort to

ZARDOZ oil until I get another wax job.

Phillycore (that jacket is an optical illusion, Core looks like he's got a 34" waistline, lol)

Hell's yeah it is... I'm lovin that shit....lol

I had a lot of fun today skiing with everyone and meeting those I hadn't met before.

Definitely have to do it again....

1 person wearing a facemask. -13 degrees...any frostbite :huh: I had to work, so it wasn't worth coming over late. When I woke up at 6:30, it was -13. The dog looked at me like I was nuts, so I agreed and went back to bed.

I had my face mask but it was working better keeping my neck warm. For whatever reason my face wasn't cold. My toes were but that's about it.

Actually everyone but Melissa wore facemasks. The pic was taken around 1:30 PM when it was much warmer and when we were saying our goodbyes.

Here's my TR...

Bob and I left around 7 AM and were in the lodge by 8:40 AM thanks to a traffic and police free turnpike. In the lodge we met up with Doug and shortly after Jeff. Vert whores that they are they abandoned us pretty quickly but we saw Barb and her boys walking thru the lodge and they kept us company. Note to Barb... good work on the kids... they are beautiful and very well behaved. Anyway, Barb had to get the kids to some race thing and bailed just before Think and his friend showed up. We hung with them for a few and then headed out to the top of Exhibition. There we met back up with some PASRs and decided to do an Exhibition run before the official meeting time. Once back at the top we met the whole crew, did the introduction thing and did a run down to a quad. Of course we lost someone (sorry Barb) and from there basically made our way over to East Mt. Due to the conditions and goading from the crew I skied pretty much all of the blacks over there. Not with style of course but I felt comfortable and thank the guys for pushing. Of course we had to get in trouble... what would a PASR day be without an international incident? At the top of the lift Think whipped out his radar gun and it was decided that Floyd's would be the best place to clock the gang. As we were departing Bob made mention of the large number of red coats in the area but the plan was set so off we went. The boys did their thing and Think was yelling out the mph when a craggy, old redcoat and his grandpa decided we had had enough fun. He traversed down and promptly informed us that we were out of control and that he'd like to see us making more tuns and not bombing the runs. Of course that didn't go over well being that everyone was able to easily stop at the bottom and since we were on a damn black diamond which is supposed to be an expert run. Grisly Adams wasn't having any of that however and nicely insisted that we not do it again or else. Of course we went right back up and over to Floyd's. PASR's really are assholes. Haha. After that I think we went down for lunch. Jeff got his period and bailed but as a fellow chick who has had bad cramps herself I understood. Haha. Our lunch was awful and about $34.00... up at the other end of the table there was a freaking gourmet banquet but I wasn't even offered a taste. WTF?? As someone else said the whole lot of us easily got a table which I found amazing. Sometime during lunch it was mentioned by Librider who had just joined us that a certain, beloved PASRer was present but didn't want to meet up with us. If you haven't already guessed it was Mr. TT6. Of course being the juvenile idiots that we are it was immediately decided that we should hunt him down and introduce ourselves. Back out on the snow we spotted him pretty quickly and chased followed him thru the park to make our introductions but he wasn't really interested in hanging so we made our way back over to East Mt. After a few miscellaneous runs (including one that took me though a trail marked as closed and with gates on it... oops) it was decided that we needed one more clocked run. Bob offered to operate the radar gun so that Think could get at least one timed run. Of course this kind gesture jinxed him he hit ice and fell on the way down the slope. Haha... I mean... poor baby. At least he didn't get hurt. In all fairness it was getting a bit icy/ skied off at that point. For that reason plus some tired legs I waited while the crew did a run on Lightning or something. Once they were back we took our pic, said our goodbyes and then Bob, Melissa and I made our way over to the other side. Now I know everyone said that there was nothing over there but being that this was my 1st trip to JF I wanted to be able to say I saw the whole Mt. Once back in blue square land I realized why I had been told to avoid it. Although some of the trails were fun they were slow and absolutely teeming with newbies. On our last run we saw total carnage including one person who needed the body bag sled thing. That was our sign to leave and on the lift ride back up Melissa and I decided we needed to see the E2000 lounge to make the day complete. Once up there we met up with Barb by coincidence and she joined us for a drink. We also called Doug and soon enough he was with us too. A band went on at like 2:30 and wasn't too bad but was very loud. Doug busted out some steezy dance moves and Bob put the moves on the Bacardi girl and scored us a free round of drinks. Overall it was a great UNOFFICIAL PASR day. Although the whole crew won't be present I am looking forward to the one next week as well. To anyone who didn't make it out try to be at the next PASR day... they really are a good time and shouldn't be missed.

Edited by sexkitten

Good report Leslie. Thanks for the props on my kids. They can definitely be a pain in the ass, but for trhe most part they are pretty good.

I have to stop being a whimp and hit east mt before the season is over. I mean if my 8 year old can do it I guess I can too. Is it much worse than thunderbolt? I am guessing its just one steep trail with no flat sections.

Sounds like you guys had a good time, wish i could have been there, but hopefully next week will be just as good. Looks like the ride portion of PAskiandRIDE wasn't very well represented there yesterday. Where are all the boarders at? I don't want to be the only one stopping to strap in next week.

I have to stop being a whimp and hit east mt before the season is over. I mean if my 8 year old can do it I guess I can too. Is it much worse than thunderbolt? I am guessing its just one steep trail with no flat sections.

East Mt. consists of several trails. If you can do thunderbolt, you should be able to do rivershot/lightnight on east mt.. There is a long flat run in, followed by a headwall, followed by a short flat run, followed by another headwall, then a long flat run out to the lift. Floyd's Folly might be a little much, because it is almost a straight drop off.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Nice report SexKitten. Get your husband a helmet...he looks like a gaper :ph34r:

Thanks. BTW he is a gaper so the look is fitting. Haha. I guess I can't say that anymore since, by the numbers, he kept up with you yesterday. Oh well... I gape alone.

Floyd's bumped up or groomed?

Groomed. I won't lie... I was a little intimidated at first but I hit all of the trails over there and honestly had no problems.

Edited by sexkitten