Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

21 minutes ago, DiMe said:

I suspected the comment might be going over my head 🤣  I think they might only because they started with a hike park last year on the school hill and 2 cold nights is certainly enough to get that open.  I know that doesnt matter for most PASRS though.

I don’t remember blue ever opening with a hike park before they opened though.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You are likely right.  I didnt return to the scene until January last year.  Friends just tell me they started with a hike park.  How many cold nights did they need to get open last year?

Edited by DiMe

19 minutes ago, DiMe said:

You are likely right.  I didnt return to the scene until January last year.  Friends just tell me they started with a hike park.  How many cold nights did they need to get open last year?

They had almost round the clock snowmaking conditions last year before they opened and about 50-60 hours of snowmaking to open last year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

definitely no hike park last year.  

Whatever they had last year, and i do kinda think it was along the lines of what you mentioned, was just enough.  6-8 hours a night of snowmaking takes fooooorrrreeeevvvveeeer to get some shit down.  maybe the new shit they have will help with that, but i always thought the old shit would make more snow in marginal temps.  notice i didnt say good snow.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

definitely no hike park last year.  

Whatever they had last year, and i do kinda think it was along the lines of what you mentioned, was just enough.  6-8 hours a night of snowmaking takes fooooorrrreeeevvvveeeer to get some shit down.  maybe the new shit they have will help with that, but i always thought the old shit would make more snow in marginal temps.  notice i didnt say good snow.  

Last year they got super lucky iirc it was a narrow window to get anything open and then it got super sketch before the slow addition of trails but I distinctly recall us mentioning had they not gone hard in that first shot it would have taken another couple weeks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Last year they got super lucky iirc it was a narrow window to get anything open and then it got super sketch before the slow addition of trails but I distinctly recall us mentioning had they not gone hard in that first shot it would have taken another couple weeks. 

They say it’s not how you start it’s how you finish..that’s a freaking lie…at least when it cums to snowmaking..hit me with your best shot..fire away.  @skifreak any sacrifices for the snow gods?  And don’t steal your moms bloomers again..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

And then another super cold shot came in, but the power company shut them down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, indiggio said:

And then another super cold shot came in, but the power company shut them down.

It happened twice no ? I remember the first time it was hyper cold for a couple days and I expected some whales but shit was still brown.

Nothing major but temps are starting to improve a little in the forecast

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

It happened twice no ? I remember the first time it was hyper cold for a couple days and I expected some whales but shit was still brown.

Nothing major but temps are starting to improve a little in the forecast

Yup, I believe shortly after they shut em down again.
Indeed, it was a total downer, expecting huge amounts of snow only to see nada.
Damn people turning up their thermostats to stay warm!
Don't they know there are sliders starving in the East for man-made perder???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yup, I believe shortly after they shut em down again.
Indeed, it was a total downer, expecting huge amounts of snow only to see nada.
Damn people turning up their thermostats to stay warm!
Don't they know there are sliders starving in the East for man-made perder???

This is interesting.  The few years I made snow at Camelback back in the early 2000s, I dont ever remember a power grid interuption.  I wonder if the grid is weaker near Blue or this is a new thing with more homes using electric heating alternatives to oil and gas.

Edited by DiMe
  • Like 1

i believe that Killington was interrupted by the power co. shortly after they fired up last week or whenever it was, so its not just limited to Blue.  The Poconos is filled with homes that have that super efficient electric baseboard heat. 

What would be interesting to take note of is the next time Blue is shut down for grid issues, is to see if Cameltoe, and JFBB are affected by it.  But, also, who knows if those get power from the same grid.  Maybe its just Palmerton thats fucked up.  Well, i mean fucked up power grid.   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DiMe said:

This is interesting.  The few years I made snow at Camelback back in the early 2000s, I dont ever remember a power grid interuption.  I wonder if the grid is weaker near Blue or this is a new thing with more homes using electric heating alternatives to oil and gas.

Seems to be a more recent thing (power companies shutting snowmaking down). 
Don't know if it's the grid, amount of people/development in the area, lack of electricity production, number of Teslas??

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Seems to be a more recent thing (power companies shutting snowmaking down). 
Don't know if it's the grid, amount of people/development in the area, lack of electricity production, number of Teslas??

They should slow those chargers down as well, i mean, EV's are cool, but no where near as cool as making snow.  

When they used to do rolling blackouts in the winter, that made no sense to me, at least for homes with electric heating.  lets shut the power down for a little while, then turn it back on after a while just to have your power consumption go to like 100% to get your heat back?  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Patience young grasshoppers.  41 inches predicted December 15-24 for Allentown which means due to blues elevation prob like 42-43 inches.  Sick bird. 

2108EE19-1E9E-4DFE-B549-6E8332BE7011.png

We will need to flip back to this in December to either get a good laugh, or promote this guy to PASR forecaster.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Patience young grasshoppers.  41 inches predicted December 15-24 for Allentown which means due to blues elevation prob like 42-43 inches.  Sick bird. 

2108EE19-1E9E-4DFE-B549-6E8332BE7011.png

This is sick birds. I just booked a non-refundable $500 studio room for at the Camelback hotel house for skiing all the 41 inches of perder for you, me and @DiMe. It probably has bunk beds so I get top bunk.

Edited by saltyant
  • Boner City 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, saltyant said:

This is sick birds. I just booked a non-refundable $500 studio room for at the Camelback hotel house for skiing all the 41 inches of perder for you, me and @DiMe. It probably has bunk beds so I get top bunk.

The grilled steeze does not share lodging!  You can book a 8 bed 5 bath mansion and the Steeze will still stay alone.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

That’s fantastic Salty!!!  You’ll be ok you have an SUV now 

• Thanks 1