Winter Park / Steamboat

phillycore

Conditions saturday were more like i thought friday would be.  mixed conditions all over the mountain.  the first groomed trail was reminiscent of trails in PA after a rain/freeze cycle.  Areas of the mountain definitely went through a thaw/freeze cycle.  Within the same set of trees, you could have some decent powder, packed powder, and crusted up frozen snow, so it was pretty unpredictable.  Day 3 proved to be the great equalizer for all of us, as we were all feeling a little beat up.  

Our first run we hiked up to the radio tower and took wake up call, and it was straight up shit.  Chunky, frozen, hard to navigate snow.  Back up to the radio tower for some redemption, we took St Pats.  Decent snow in there all around, some pretty tricky spots to navigate, but a fun time. 

St Pats

post-1753-0-29700300-1423401244_thumb.jpg

post-1753-0-01663900-1423402340_thumb.jpg

Back up to Morningside again, which, takes a little doing, since you still have to ski down to storm peak express, down to morningside lift, and up morningside.  Unfortunately you just cant lap the chutes/Christmas tree area,  there is still quite a ways to go down, and it was really taking a toll on our legs.  So RR and myself decided we would do the chutes again.  Now i was completely content skiing chute 3, which we did the previous day.  It is steep enough that it is challenging, but not off the charts.  RR talks me into chute 2.  Chute 2 is straight up nasty steep, the god damn steepest thing i have ever been on. Makes the fucking elevator look like a beginners bump. Cliffs to navigate around, and it lives up to its name, since to get around the cliffs you have to ski through a series of chutes in between the cliffs.   Its was one of those deals were i kind of said to myself, if this goes bad, its gonna go real bad. Luckily the snow is still really good in there. The pictures dont do it justice here, it really just doesnt show how straight down to the bottom of hell this thing goes.  i cant imagine what chute 1 is like.  

post-1753-0-26169100-1423402537_thumb.jpg

post-1753-0-93991100-1423402602_thumb.jpg

PC didnt join us on that run, and that actually proved to be the smart move, as he found some nice trees that were still skiable on the other side by Rolex.  By the time RR and myself got to the base we were cooked, and PC was still off skiing.  

on to Winter Park.  The place we are staying in Winter Park is baller.  

• Like 2

Glad you guys had good snow at Parson Bowl! It was awesome to see you and thanks for the pointers this morning. I have to start leaning forward more, tops of my thighs hurt just walking up stairs today. Toast is correct, best TR in a while. Loved all your pictures. Enjoy the hot tub tonight.

• Like 2