Bar Down Please

NMSKI

Why wouldn't insurance cover that? If medical personnel treating the injured person feel it is necessary, then the insurance company should pay. Medivac helicopters are not flown at the drop of a hat! I think when my family member was medivaced, we only owed them about $100.00. I think we got a bigger bill from the ambulance that transported her to the area where the helicopter landed!

sounds about right re: ambulance bill. it's sad that it's cheaper to fly then to drive.

Why wouldn't insurance cover that? If medical personnel treating the injured person feel it is necessary, then the insurance company should pay. Medivac helicopters are not flown at the drop of a hat! I think when my family member was medivaced, we only owed them about $100.00. I think we got a bigger bill from the ambulance that transported her to the area where the helicopter landed!

Well I guess good insurance does cover it at least in your family members case. I have a friend who owed $1,000's after being airlifted, and have heard many others complain about the same thing, possible their insurance sucks.

I thought it was about a sweet hockey goal.

This is one thing I dislike about bear creek, but then their lift rides are 5 minutes max. Still with the money they sink into that place you'd think they could add a few foot rests on A and B at least.

when i first read the top it thought it was about a bar closing.

no bars on any of the lifts at loveland. Its glorious. I always forget that bars exist and get clocked in the head whenever I go anywhere else.

Loveland justifies it by citing studies that prove kids are more likely to fall off of chairlifts with the bar down( they have a false sense of security and slide underneath), or they fall off trying to put the bar down more often than they would be if the chairlift didn't have any bars at all. Skiing is a dangerous sport, and the risk of falling off a lift is negligible compared to the risk I take actually skiing.

Edited by jordan
  • Like 1

Skiing is a dangerous sport, and the risk of falling off a lift is negligible compared to the risk I take actually skiing.

Or driving to the mtn, driving is far and away 100,000x more dangerous than anything else 99.9% of people will do in there life.

I do think its funny that peeps have no problem taking two six foot long, metal, plastic and wood planks around a turn at 50mph balanced on 1/2 inch of metal edge and plastic and then be worried about riding a moving couch.

Perception is reality.

GrilledSteezeSandwich, on 07 Mar 2013 - 13:07, said:

Motorcycle riding is insane we do so many tombstones for bike crash victims.

It's not me I'm worried about, it's everyone else texting/talking/eating/drinking/reading/makeuping while driving that I have to watch out for.

I saw that happen with a group of Asians...funny cause I thought they were good at math.

Guess it's better than when there's only 1 or 2 on a chair with the placed packed to the brim!

Also funny was when I watched a Ski Patroller get whaled by one of the double chairs. The lifty just shook his head in amazement...

I saw a guy go under a lift at seven springs. The lifty didn't stop it he just screamed to stay down until the lift cleared him lol.

That happened yesterday with a kid coming off the 6-pack.

He bit it right off and I told him to stay low. He had no chance of getting out of the way of the chair. Chair just missed clunking him in the head before lifty stopped it.

Was just like a Warren Miller movie. You want your ski? Go get it!

Edited by indiggio

I wasn't allowed to ski as a teenager: "You'll break your leg kid!", was the response I got...

In college, a few guys took me out to Little Gap and pointed me at Burma and said just plow your way down, you'll be fine!

Thus began the addiction.

Fortunately Sunday evening sessions were like $18 and virtually empty and with afternoon grooming, conditions were good.

Once I got a good paying job, season passes for $250 were within reach.

• 9 months later...

What's with people this year and the early-drop, early-lift of the bar?

I've gotten helmet clunked a couple of times already this year after getting on the chair.

No sooner than you sit down, but someone's dragging the bar down without saying a word.

Then, you barely get to the crest of the Challenge and they're putting the bar up already!

Uh, you realize we're still 20-30' in the air and a couple of more lift supports to go before the end?

Some people are so eager to put the bar down, but yet even more eager to lift it back up.

One time I had my feet on the bar at the crest of Challenge and someone yelled "We gotta lift the bar!".

Do they not realize it takes about 2 seconds to lift it?

• Like 1

I'm pretty adamant about lowering the bar. I always give people a heads up and make sure no one is leaning forward to avoid the helmet bang. Blue's lifts do have an autobar which frequently lowers very early.

yeah I've only seen that feature once this year. It usually comes out during the spring sessions.

In reality though, I have not had any issues with the bar coming up/down early or late but I usually am riding with a semi-full lift with PASRs.

• Like 1

For all that I've experienced all season, everyone has been super polite with the bar. "Hey everybody - bar coming up." Same with everyone coming up toward the last tower. Be respectful to others, and they will respect you.

This is coming from the best skier of any mountain you've ever been on.

• Like 5

I'm pretty adamant about lowering the bar. I always give people a heads up and make sure no one is leaning forward to avoid the helmet bang. Blue's lifts do have an autobar which frequently lowers very early.

I prefer the bar down as it just makes sense, it's there for a reason.

However, I will go with the flow of the chair.

I just don't get the "coolness" factor that many seem to subscribe to by not putting it down, especially with boarders who have to have all that weight on one leg.

In reality though, I have not had any issues with the bar coming up/down early or late but I usually am riding with a semi-full lift with PASRs.

You need to get out and experience the "rental ward" more, far more amusing until they clunk you in the helmet...