Sign in to follow this  
Justo8484

Tuckerman Ravine

Figured it's about time I got around to posting a trip report for this one. I had been planning on hitting up tucks the first weekend in May pretty much since before blue closed. Lots of people said they were in, then out, then back in, the out again, so it actually came together pretty last minute. I ended up driving up with Vince from Buckmans, some of you may have met him at blue. We left my house in philly around 4pm or so, just in time to get slammed with NYC rush hour traffic. Great start to the trip...

After the delay from traffic and getting a bit lost in New Hampshire trying to find gas without cell reception for gps, we made it to our campground around midnight. Except that the campground was closed, and since we didn't have cell reception, we never got the message to go to a different campground. After driving around aimlessly for about 45 minutes trying to get cell service, we got a hold of the rest of the crew we were meeting and found out they were at a camp site about 20 miles away. All said and done, we ended up getting to sleep around 3am, got about 3 hours of sleep, and were up with the sun to begin the real journey. The campsite we stayed at was about an hour drive from the Tuckerman ravine trailhead, and after a quick stop for breakfast where I found out my debit card no longer worked, we loaded up our packs and started hiking.

post-103-14333412690117_thumb.jpg

Mount Washington in our sights

post-103-14333413051176_thumb.jpg

Half mile walk to the trailhead from where we parked. 'Twas a bit crowded, to say the least.

post-103-14333413648152_thumb.jpg

The first mile or so of the hike was done in hiking shoes, with all our gear strapped to our packs. 60lbs on your back with an ill-fitting pack was a rough start.

post-103-14333414503519_thumb.jpg

Luckily, I brought skins, so after a mile of dirt and rocks, and another half mile of intermittent dirt, rocks, snow, slush, and mud, the snow became consistent enough to skin. While skinning in and of itself is not really any less tiring than hiking, it was a huge relief to lighten the weight of my pack by trading 35lbs of skis, boots and bindings for a pair of shoes.

post-103-14333415959562_thumb.jpg

The last stretch gets too steep to skin, as I found out when my skins gave out and I started sliding backwards, heels unlocked. Luckily, there was no one behind me to take out, and I managed to grab onto a tree to stop. Skis back on my pack, it was hiking in ski boots with some pretty exciting rock scrambling for another half mile, with the bowl in our sights the whole time.

post-103-14333417110818_thumb.jpg

Finally made it to the base of the bowl, after about 3 hours of hiking, skinning, and climbing!

post-103-14333417872934_thumb.jpg

After a short beer and snack break enjoying the scenery and the radness of people sending the icefall, we started the boot pack up to the top of the bowl. As is evidenced by the photo, I think this was the sweatiest I've ever been in my entire life. The first line we chose was about 45° sustained, passing 50° in some spots.

post-103-14333419241612_thumb.jpg

Snowboarders were basically using their boards as ladders the entire second half of the boot pack up near the head wall. I was pretty much crawling up the snow.

post-103-14333420008254_thumb.jpg

Finally up top, the view did not suck. Photos do it no justice. After a flask of miscellaneous whiskey(?) made the rounds, it was go time.

post-103-14333420687992_thumb.jpg

Ready to drop

post-103-14333420958983_thumb.jpg

Probably the steepest sustained pitch I've ever skied. There was a lot of check turning, and it wasn't pretty, but it was definitely rewarding to know that is pushed my limits, both by testing my fitness just to get to the top, and to ski the line we skied, which was down between the two big rocks you can see on the left of the photo. The beer at the bottom was much deserved.

post-103-14333422608879_thumb.jpg

After relaxing and watching others get rowdy or get destroyed, it was time for round two. Since we were pretty cooked at this point, we opted for an "easier" route. Not quite as steep, but the run would be a bit longer and allow for more turns instead of just trying to manage speed the whole time.

post-103-14333424167498_thumb.jpg

This dude with the air of the day, rode straight into the icefall, aired it out about 50 feet, and straightlined out like a boss.

post-103-14333425047214_thumb.jpg

Sweaty but freezing at the same time, we made it to the top again.

post-103-14333425552056_thumb.jpg

Drop in was a bit tighter than we anticipated.

post-103-14333425993201_thumb.jpg

But opened up for some nice spring turns.

post-103-14333426595281_thumb.jpg

After that run, it was nothing but the hillman highway runout and then a mile or so of hiking back to the trailhead to end the day. Totally exhausting, but totally worth it. We also got to see a some pretty rad views on the drive out.

post-103-1433342774467_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Yes please. Maybe we can get toast and gssucks to join too

Edited by Justo8484
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for taking the time to post it. PASR needs more TR's and pictures.

• Like 4

Nice report. How long was the drive and where did you stay??

drive up took over 10 hours I think due to traffic, getting lost with no gps, and the campground being closed then getting lost again. Drive home was about 6.5, but we were hauling. Normal driving would probably be closer to 7.5 or 8. We camped at some random state park in the white mountain. Pretty nice spot, close to a stream, good views, passable toilets for a campground, and only $25 a night per car, so way cheaper than a hotel, and my camping gear is probably comfier and cleaner than some of the sketchy backwoods motels up in New England. Tough to beat getting back to the campground after a fun day of riding and cracking some beers and getting a fire going.

damn that was legit, best TR in awhile

i do what I can. More on the way, been in Ecuador for the past two weeks...
  • Like 1

Sad to hear. The person was skiing alone? Probably not a great idea, but sometimes if you really want to do something, and you can’t find anyone to go with, you go alone. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Sad to hear. The person was skiing alone? Probably not a great idea, but sometimes if you really want to do something, and you can’t find anyone to go with, you go alone. 

He might've made it if someone was with him. From these threads it sounds like Raymonds Cataract is basically a narrow icefall with sheer 30' drops.

You won't find me on it, buddy or not.
https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32652-Skiing-Raymond-s-Cataract

https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?17592-Ravine-of-Raymond-Cataract/page2&p=192630#post192630

On 4/11/2019 at 9:23 PM, momskeeztoo said:

if you really want to do something, and you can’t find anyone to go with, you go alone. 

No. You dont. At least from my point of view. It's not like you're hitting the town alone on a stag night.

• Like 1