Already know where and when you're going west this season?

phillycore

question: pow mow vs snowbasin. pro's and con's for each? which is better? the reason I ask is b/c I had written off snowbasin as an option for our non-cottonwoods ski day. thoughts?

GSSucks is on the money and it's been a few years since I spent alot of time in UT so he knows best.

Unless you put alot of time in at the BCC/LCC resorts and rip your going to get better pow outside of the canyons. If it's the weekend good luck. LOL

4 days and lets say the first day it snows I'd go Bird, Brighton, Pow Mow, Basin assuming the first day it snows is during the week. Everywhere will likely be good the day it snows, show up early and hope either the road closes or people forget their chains. So you get to taste the bird without having to really fight your knowledge gap. Brighton has super super easy slack access off Great Western into Hidden so second day I'm running hidden laps with some time in the milly playground using the high traverse to access the shit skiers right near the cliff closure. Pow Mow holds snow forever in Pow Country so third day is there but I don't want to wait too long because without snow that place is boring. Basin last day because by now I gotta take a major shit and their bathrooms are baller, go up john paul and shit in the basementish bathrooms shit is plush. Also because I can go out No  Name and run endless laps past the gasx avy control thingy and use the supplemental lot parking tram to take me pack to john paul and I want to end my trip feeling bad ass.

Snowbasin is pretty much nicer than PowMow in all respects, their lodges are immaculate, like DV but with way better skiing. They have groomers, pow, pretty much everything you could want. But it was all paid for with bullshit Olympic money, it's the giant soul sucking squid we all should hate about modern skiing. Don't get me wrong I fucking love skiing their but I feel a little bit dirty afterwards like splooging a hookers face.

PowMow is the complete opposite, it's hillbilly end of a shady ass road skiing. It's sort of flat, I mean nothing there even off james is going to pucker your butt hole. It's crap cafeteria food, the dude who sold you tickets in the morning and will work the bar later is probably making it. It does have two things though the other places can't manufacture, legit legit diamond dust pow pow, you can run for a fucking week on their redic amount of acreage getting titty deep blower. You can lap the bus until your face hurts from smiling and you don't have to live there for 100000 years to find it. Plus and this is more important than some people think it has a fucking soul. It's about as far away as you can get from the country club experience skiing is becoming, it's real people doing real shit, alot of dirt bags from weber county, it's real actual non super rich families, its travelers that have figured out a good thing and everything inbetween. Plus if your lucky they'll run the cat and that shit is hard to beat, cheap cat access to some nice terrain, like jr cat skiing.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1

can't. our ski and stay package uses the Ski City Super Pass.

Jlaw is spot on, although Pow Mow has cleaned up a bit in the past few years since its been purchased by Summit, but its still pretty dirty. 

If you have to choose Id personally go Basin, mush easier to find your way around if you ask me. I could run Strawberry laps for a week and not get tired of it. If it nukes 12"+ go to Pow Mow, its not as steep so things open faster but be ready for a hell of a drive up the canyon. Both have perks and both are fun, cant really go wrong. A lot of the Valley Bro's started to head to Basin now on big days because they offer a $300 locals pass so be ready with wide elbows if its a big day. 

Enjoy it, have fun and write a report with pictures!! 

• Like 2

13 more days until I'm off to CO for 11 days of skiing...they've been a little dry as of late, so hopefully some snow when I'm there!

The ridge that has been suppressing all the WC storms is predicted to break down around the first week of March so you should be good. I'm surprised the current storm in the SNs got through

13 more days until I'm off to CO for 11 days of skiing...they've been a little dry as of late, so hopefully some snow when I'm there!

The ridge that has been suppressing all the WC storms is predicted to break down around the first week of March so you should be good. I'm surprised the current storm in the SNs got through

• Like 1

A little snow tonight, but nothing too significant.  The long term forecast isn't looking good, but I hope the adage about weather out here is true ... "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes"

A little snow tonight, but nothing too significant.  The long term forecast isn't looking good, but I hope the adage about weather out here is true ... "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes"

That's what they say about the weather in Vermont. I used to have a T shirt that said that. Was raining today below 8,000 feet at Jackson hole while half the rentards at Blue were wearing facemasks..the weather is bananas...

• 4 weeks later...

Booked airfare from Newark to Denver in southwest yesterday for about $350 round trip with early bird checkin. Was actually like $70 cheaper a month ago. The last few days car rental prices were insane but today they dropped in half and I booked a mid size SUV from the airport Alamo for $370 total for 7 days all taxes included..not bad at all. Gotta decide on hotel now.

• Like 2