January 31st - Calm Before the Storm

toast21602

21 minutes ago, eaf said:

I think I saw you calling me from the lift once. But no more. IDK why, but I felt so cold today. Left around 11, probably right in time for roads to start getting bad. Super envious of anyone who will be skiing the next few days.

Yeah, I did yell "EAF" from the Challenge Express and saw you look up. The other 2 or 3 times I saw you skiing towards the quad gates. You weren't the only one that said they felt cold today, I did too and heard someone on the lift say the same thing. I actually skied 'til 10 today (>90 minutes) because it was so grate out, but the line waiting was starting to wear me down so I hit the parking lot to drink some Yoohoos and hang out with @MattEDGE

10 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Double fist pump mid first run made me chuckle. WTGAI!

Yeah that was grate, where did that coating of untracked snow come from?

I never get why Razor's is usually good while Challenge is the suck, even though they're literally right next to each other 🤷‍♂️ 

My only wild ass guess is they put better snow blower machines on Razor's for the race team.

49 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yeah that was grate, where did that coating of untracked snow come from?

I never get why Razor's is usually good while Challenge is the suck, even though they're literally right next to each other 🤷‍♂️ 

My only wild ass guess is they put better snow blower machines on Razor's for the race team.

Challenge was good first thing and the snow was from the snowmaking cannons. Upper challenge also had it. 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Well a lot of skiers and snowboarders aren’t lifelong participants. It’s sad but not everybody is as passionate about the sport as us. 

I feel like it hits snowboarders worse than skiers. I see a lot of skiers got started at a young age by their parents, and they stick with it as it becomes a kind of family tradition. Most snowboarders got into it because it was the cool thing to do when we were younger, not because our parents took us with on trips. Some might have skier parents who decided to snowboard instead, but for a lot of kids once they grew up a little and got into other things, or moved or had kids or whatever it just dropped by like other things do. There's not the same "its a family thing" keeping it going.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EdBacon said:

I feel like it hits snowboarders worse than skiers. I see a lot of skiers got started at a young age by their parents, and they stick with it as it becomes a kind of family tradition. Most snowboarders got into it because it was the cool thing to do when we were younger, not because our parents took us with on trips. Some might have skier parents who decided to snowboard instead, but for a lot of kids once they grew up a little and got into other things, or moved or had kids or whatever it just dropped by like other things do. There's not the same "its a family thing" keeping it going.

Excellent observation. Snowboarding having more of a hip factor - shared with skate and surf boards) lends itself a bit more to passing as a fad.

I would also guess that park activity (whether on skis or boards, but boards more prevalent in parks) becomes less popular as folks get older, feel their bodies are more fragile, and become more risk averse.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:29 AM, saltyant said:

Shout out to Urban Dictionary for coming through.

and for @saltyantfor not forgetting us.

B4FD1E81-FBDD-4615-B947-652F92850FBD.thumb.jpeg.9e02ccd2f1ad5417e0db8d2d0a95852e.jpeg

in the Denver suburbs for a bit. Going wedding dress shopping with my future sister in law & doing girly things.

the snow and reports look wild. Have fun!! 

Hoping to ski ABasin this weekend

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skiincy said:

B4FD1E81-FBDD-4615-B947-652F92850FBD.thumb.jpeg.9e02ccd2f1ad5417e0db8d2d0a95852e.jpeg

in the Denver suburbs for a bit. Going wedding dress shopping with my future sister in law & doing girly things.

Have fun at A Bay Bay..no hope needed just do it. 

1 hour ago, skiincy said:

Skiing anywhere Thursday? Hoping for a small powder day here. Think we’re gonna see about adding the early access to our tickets for that day

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Skiing anywhere Thursday? Hoping for a small powder day here. Think we’re gonna see about adding the early access to our tickets for that day

You’ll definitely have a pow day Thursday and probably not even be that small. 5” skis a lot deeper in Colorado.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You’ll definitely have a pow day Thursday and probably not even be that small. 5” skis a lot deeper in Colorado.

Yeah, Joel at opensnow is saying 6-12. More than that I’d have to rent wider skis anyway. Probably not going to pursue adding their early access. $59 and only gives 15 minute priority, although I think dedicated lines at each lift all day is probably the main draw

43 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I wish! 

I have all day firm meetings that I can’t miss 🙁

10 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Yeah, Joel at opensnow is saying 6-12. More than that I’d have to rent wider skis anyway. Probably not going to pursue adding their early access. $59 and only gives 15 minute priority, although I think dedicated lines at each lift all day is probably the main draw

I skied a powder day at copper three years ago on a weekend and I had no trouble getting a solid 2 hours of freshies..super bee lift has plenty of goods and gold digger and Coleman’s off the Sierra lift holds fresh longer than most due to multiple lifts.  I don’t care if I’m off topic. Senor sausage Sunday needs to ski some freshies. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:01 PM, enjoralas said:

If you have free time in Denver before your flight takes off, check out https://www.estersdenver.com/. There are two locations, one is closer to I-70 on the way to the airport. It's one of my favorite neighborhood places with delicious food. 

I can't decide which pizza is my favorite but definitely get the fat tire nachos. They're my favorite nachos ... ever. 

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The last time I was in Denver I ate at the urban Sombrero across the street from the Denver airport Hyatt place. I’ve  also been to the pizzeria uno there..

😳 oh man. Are you recommending a pizzeria uno? 

next time, I’ll give you my laundry list of favorites. 

12 minutes ago, skiincy said:

😳 oh man. Are you recommending a pizzeria uno? 

next time, I’ll give you my laundry list of favorites. 

Pizzeria uno is freaking good.  I’ve never spent any time in actually Denver..just Denver airport area(aurora) and I’ve been to Boulder a few times. Boulder is just like Burlington Vermont. Their Pearl street marketplace was designed by the same guy who designed church street marketplace. Plus it’s referenced in a chain smokers song. Word Lyfe