Feb 17 tr-Ash Wednesday

Benm

do you like cookies?

do you like super firm, uneven grooming?

what about waiting in line for 10 min by your third run?

if so, today was your day to touch the sky at blue mtn.

everything sucked. packed by 9:30. saw mutes squirrel digging holes under the sixer where lazy mile merges with sidewinder. was on first chair but got beat to challenge because it stopped near the unloading zone. didn't see anyone else there.

challenge was super firm, cookied up, and uneven.
razors was the worst i've seen in recent memory. every inch was cookies.
sidewinder not too bad, firm.
lower main st was pretty bumpy.
switch was rotd, not too bad, a little softer than the rest.
i did that long run midway to burma, ok. midway was cookied up.

if you couldn't make it today for whatever reason, you didn't miss out on much. i'm hoping tomorrow makes up for it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

WJW, that's what happens when Doug takes a vacation from writing his JADIP reports. Everything just falls apart.

I'll say that the snow wasn't terrible, but it wasn't awesome like in the last few weeks either. Blue's trademark grooming is back. And so are the crowds. In fact, I kinda liked the snow, was very skiable, not everywhere, but still. I didn't like the crowds a little bit. Anywhere.

It was clear that the day was doomed when I had to park far. The lines started forming almost right away. I had to quit at 11:15 because it was too bad everywhere, even at the slow lifts. Oh wait, why did I say "lifts"? Blue management figured that since it was a Wednesday morning they could avoid running Burma and Vista chairs, so everybody was lining up for the Main Street chairs. Who would've thought that people, having skipped icy Monday and Tuesday, in light of a bad commute on Thursday, would decide to show up on a sunny Wednesday??

The crowds were also weird. Main street lift had to stop every few mins because people were continuously losing their skis. And everybody decided to be efficient all of a sudden. Once on the quad I was joined w/o being asked by two crazy Russians w/o masks who kept on talking trash and spitting all the way up. Once on the 6-pack I was warmly invited to share the ride with 4 other elderly yet brave folks from the clan of Connor MacLeod. And once on Main street some guy was just gonna load with me, no questions asked.

In short, I liked the snow, the new skis, adored the unique crowd and hate Salty who said that after the President's day we're out of the woods.

• Like 3
  • Boner City 1

Cookies are just one of the special services we receive at Blue. Conditions today being less than good arent any huge surprise. 40 and sunny yesterday with 15? Degrees overnight. Thats the recipe for boot jittering cord with fresh baked cookies.  

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, eaf said:

In short, I liked the snow, the new skis, adored the unique crowd and hate Salty who said that after the President's day we're out of the woods.

That's what some dude told me. I dont know their names. PSU Guys? They associate with Eñoralas's Cousin. Maybe Falco's crew? Ah whatever they like my hat 🤠

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

That's what some dude told me. I dont know their names. PSU Guys? They associate with Eñoralas's Cousin. Maybe Falco's crew? Ah whatever they like my hat 🤠

That crew thinks you’re awesome Salty.  Not haters like toast and dan.  Presidents’ Day was early this year.  I’d expect crowds right into march. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Boner City 1

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Btw, where is the new season pass pricing, now that the President's Day is behind us, surely we should already know how much the next season is gonna cost us?

My guess is no season pass pricing until March.  With all the tickets Blue has been selling and a likely extended season into April, I don’t think they want to give away to much skiing this season for new passholders.   Be patient Eaf

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, eaf said:

Btw, where is the new season pass pricing, now that the President's Day is behind us, surely we should already know how much the next season is gonna cost us?

Its been speculated before that they are probably doing pretty well with day pass sales, so rolling out the season pass this early might not be quite as good for them as years past. I mean, when it comes out pretty much means nothing to any of us  

edit.  What Doug said. And i would agree it will be march

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I saw they sold out of morning tickets this AM

if you're interested in the historical data for availability, i have snapshots of every 4 hours for the last 10 days. doesn't look like anything funny going on (ie. pumping more tix based on forecast) but there is some bizarre shit on occasion. 

• Boner City 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Benm said:

if you're interested in the historical data for availability, i have snapshots of every 4 hours for the last 10 days. doesn't look like anything funny going on (ie. pumping more tix based on forecast) but there is some bizarre shit on occasion. 

That data doesnt interest me. The percentage of sallyants emojis being the confused face would be more interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2