PSA on Vail Resorts

Johnny Law

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Where have i been?  Not looking for a fucking job, thats for sure. 
but you have no fucking idea about people in the poconos around jfbb. They do not want to travel to the lehigh valley for one of your high paying warehouse jobs, i know that for sure. 

So they'd rather work at JFBB out in the cold for peanuts. We were talking about ski area jobs where most are seasonal at best and not about MBA's looking for brokerage jobs, right?

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah was thinking that when he said a half hour.  Nobody is commuting an hour each way for $20 an hour.  

And that's why they'll always be living off of the government they hate, with their Access Cards and CHIP and free school lunches for their kids, in their trailers. While I'm no fan of all the warehouses they're building in the LV, they would have benefits and an opportunity for advancement there. People move up to supervisors and can be trained to be fork truck and conveyor line mechanics and make a lot more money than they would ever make at a Vail resort. But they'd rather sit and bitch and say stuff like, "Hell! I ain't drivin' no 30 to 45 minutes for no job!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barb said:

I just read that Crested Butte put a sign up saying they are trying to hire liftees, but in the meantime, the extreme terrain is now open if you hike to it. 

When is the next time you will be out there? They seem to be getting a bunch of snow lately. 

1 hour ago, trackbiker said:

And that's why they'll always be living off of the government they hate, with their Access Cards and CHIP and free school lunches for their kids, in their trailers. While I'm no fan of all the warehouses they're building in the LV, they would have benefits and an opportunity for advancement there. People move up to supervisors and can be trained to be fork truck and conveyor line mechanics and make a lot more money than they would ever make at a Vail resort. But they'd rather sit and bitch and say stuff like, "Hell! I ain't drivin' no 30 to 45 minutes for no job!"

Whatever where have you been skiing this season?  Any trips planned?  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

6 minutes ago, Barb said:

I will def be going for an extended stay. May leave 19th or a few days later. Some last minute renters would like to extend their stay. Have to decide to take the $ or tell them no. 

Gotcha...I like skiing and money...I also like trains and dancing.  You know I skied Crested Butte in 2001. Second ski trip out west. 

Any ski area is relying on seasonal help. They should have affordable housing for the people working there. All these places have relied on foreigners who will work for peanuts. The savings were not passed on to the visitors at the resorts. Now COVID has changed everything, and they can’t get help. What goes around comes around. One of my kids worked for Vail at PC/ Canyons couple years ago. They were treated like dirt. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Any ski area is relying on seasonal help. They should have affordable housing for the people working there. All these places have relied on foreigners who will work for peanuts. The savings were not passed on to the visitors at the resorts. Now COVID has changed everything, and they can’t get help. What goes around comes around. One of my kids worked for Vail at PC/ Canyons couple years ago. They were treated like dirt. 

People buying and converting former seasonal rentals to AirBnB's has caused a shortage of cheap places for seasonal employees and ski bums who used to work mainly for the free pass to live. They can't afford to live near the ski areas with the low wages.

• Sad 2

On 1/1/2022 at 7:22 PM, trackbiker said:

Lol. I've been living in the Poconos for almost 20 years and I've never heard anyone once utter the phrase "Hell! I ain't drivin' no 30 to 45 minutes for no job!". No one I know even speaks like that. But way to mis-characterize so many people. BTW I also drove to the LV daily for probably 13 or 14 years. Plenty of people I know also did / do the same. But you go on generalizing. While you're at it do your angry Disney rant too. SMH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, Benm said:

Just a disclaimer that I didn't verify this but I'm not near a computer. 

I don't consider luzerne cty poconos, Lackawanna maybe. 

That is Lehigh County in a deeper orange, right?

Screenshot_20220101-193226.png

Benm i never heard you say "Hell! I ain't drivin' no 30 to 45 minutes for no job!". Trackbiker said it so maybe we should we start saying it now to fit his narrative? 

Edited by RidgeRacer

9 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Lol. I've been living in the Poconos for almost 20 years and I've never heard anyone once utter the phrase "Hell! I ain't drivin' no 30 to 45 minutes for no job!". No one I know even speaks like that. But way to mis-characterize so many people. BTW I also drove to the LV daily for probably 13 or 14 years. Plenty of people I know also did / do the same. But you go on generalizing. While you're at it do your angry Disney rant too. SMH

You werent driving to the LV to go work in a warehouse.  

I love the area i live in, i shouldnt call it the Poconos, since that does encompass a huge area actually.  Lets call it Penn Forest Township.  I have found it to be a really funny area.  People moved here because houses (were) pretty cheap.  But there arent that many jobs locally, and nor do these people want to drive that far to be employed.  Hell, most of them dont have decent transportation.  Its a super funny area.  The WFH thing has definitely increased in the area for sure, but none of those people are looking for work.  

Back to Vail.....it will be interesting to see how JFBB operates once they start having to open more lifts.